1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Karen's Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by karenr, Jul 30, 2017.

1. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I guess it all comes out in the wash.
    -------------
    But it muddies already difficult conversation.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

It is easier to see concerns via looking at what is suggested for animals.

You can get suggestions of amounts of DDW as a function of time per pound of animal.
    Also, often animals are fed dry food, so those water volumes are likely close to the total daily water intake.

What is your weight?

I weigh 150"=68kg drink 2 liters/day water (averaged over 90 days) also small amounts of soups.

upload_2018-4-2_14-23-22.png

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. karenr

karenr Silver

I'm at 41 kg, so according to that chart I need 21 ounces. Some days I can manage that, but mostly I'm drinking less.

Now I'm mulling over an idea to get some kind of gut biome testing, was looking at Viome a while back, http://viome.com, although it’s expensive.. It's pretty obvious where my diet needs improvement, a complete overhaul, and for a long time I didn’t see the point in testing what I already know is out of whack.

Although my gut hasn’t been allowing me to make significant diet changes, which is why I've been focusing on the DDW instead. But now I'm thinking there might be some benefit to knowing some specifics about what’s going on in my gut..

The Viome website is infuriatingly lacking in critical info, like how the testing is done and what it actually tells you! That kind of dumbed down marketing really turns me off. Focusing on describing the problem, to pull you in, then jumping to the conclusion that you need this service, without explaining exactly how the service works.

But I did manage to extract details from the customer service rep like pulling teeth.. and also found a video that shows a sample test result, which does look interesting..

(Other types of testing requiring physically going to a lab isn’t doable. No independent labs near me.)

JanSz likes this.
  3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Make sure to have copies of any tests that you have done.
    Newer know when they may come handy.
    If you do not have them now, next time you at doctors office, ask.

On very routine test
    metabolic panel
    you have sodium and potassium

from hydration pov you do not want to have sodium less than 140.

////////////////////////////

4. karenr

karenr Silver

Yup, I can access those test results online.
    Sodium 143
    Potassium 4.6

BUN and creatinine “normal” but ratio is way off, although it went from 25 last year to 18 a few months ago.

Even when I was in starvation mode, 75 lbs, the metabolic panel was all “normal!” The body must give up so much energy just to keep those vital processes within a certain range.

5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Attached Files:

6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

And those details are????

7. karenr

karenr Silver

There are several components -
    glucose challenge drink
    blood glucose test kit
    stool sample kit
    metabolism questionnaire.

From emails from Viome, when I asked for specifics of the testing procedure..

The challenge pack contains glucose and cream of tartar.
    At a minimum, everyone should do a fasting glucose and fill in how much of the drink they drank, even if it was none. Better than that would be to drink ⅓ or ½ if they can and complete the test. Just so you know, the challenge drink has about the equivalent [amount of sugar] of 1 can of regular Coke, but is safer than coke. We don’t want you to substitute it.
    Please let us know if you have any other questions.

1. The ingredients: Pure Dextrose (non-GMO). Mix the Challenge Powder with 8-12 oz. of water. Stir well and drink.
    I have attached the instructions for the Metabolic Intelligence test and the Gut Intelligence test for you to view.

2. After enrolling in our service, you will receive two test kits: the Gut Intelligence kit and the Metabolic Intelligence kit. Gut Intelligence is a stool collection kit that you can complete at home and mail to Viome for analysis. Metabolic Intelligence is a series of measurements that you'll complete at home, and then enter your results into your Viome app.

Your annual membership for $399, includes one set of Gut Intelligence and Metabolic Intelligence testing, but you have the option to order additional kits throughout the year for $199 each.

We created a more flexible plan to better suit your individual needs. Maybe you'd like to test more frequently to monitor your progress, or maybe you need more time in between tests - whether you're on vacation, still working on making changes to your diet, or you just can't find the time.
    We look forward to serving you!
    Regards,
    Ashley
    TheViomeTeam

Instructions for taking measurements for the metabolic intelligence test:
    https://p14.zdusercontent.com/attac...TFH03OtPqtucljExfl-NYM.InvuJkqaoaLcBNAWCdbrxg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  8. karenr

karenr Silver

Hmm.. I tried some, produced tons of gas!
    I also have that reaction to sugar alcohols and certain other sugars..oh, what’s that one that’s often used for energy production.. D-ribose. So I'm not sure how to know if the prebiotics are feeding the right bugs, maybe Viome would show that..?

9. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Resistant Starch

If you are acting unusually to resistant starch, that would suggest to me that you do not have or have only little bit of bugs that feed on it.
    It is good to have those bugs.
    If that was happening to me,
    I would try to eat resistant starches more often, expecting that after a while all that excessive gas would stop.

Green banana...

karenr likes this.
  10. karenr

karenr Silver

Interesting, thanks, will try it. Right now I'm in a phase where I'm so uncomfortable I can barely stomach anything at all for the whole rest of the day, after eating a very small amount of easy to digest foods like bone broth with cooked carrots and a few rice crackers. Sometimes a little of the raw cheese, on a good day.

This is nothing new, a flare up of the old pattern, but I'm not going down that same old road this time.

11. karenr

karenr Silver

More thoughts on Viome..

1. Based on the analysis, you get dietary advice, what to eat and not to eat. I haven’t found any info about how exactly they determine that.

2. Maybe the microbial profile data alone could be useful, I suppose, but how can they get from there to an understanding of exactly how those microbes are expressing or not expressing in your particular case? How they're interacting in biological functions and the implications of that?
    So, IS it worth getting the microbial profile data even if the limits of this kind of testing don't go further than that?

3. I hate the marketing model and lack of discerning info they expect people to be okay with for shelling out $400. But I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt that the product could possibly have some value anyway..

I’m sure sounding like a lot of maybes and sort ofs.

12. karenr

karenr Silver

Been sorting out my mixed feelings about Viome.. the means to be able to do it materialized, and now I'm really excited about it! Haven’t received the kit yet, so it’ll probably be a month or two before I get the results.

Good to see that better info about it is available now than a few months ago when I started looking at it.
    Here's a good one with Helen Messier, the medical director of Viome.

13. JanSz

JanSz Gold

At time 33:30 they talk about uric acid.
    Excess uric acid causes gout.

Do they have a advice how to minimize uric acid?

If you come across a ways to avoid gout, please let me know about.

karenr likes this.
  14. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Watch out when ordering this test.
    Currently part of it is glucose tolerance test.
    You have to eat 75gram of sugar.
    If that is ok with you, then no problem.

karenr and drezy like this.
  15. karenr

karenr Silver

Yup, I wasn’t sure I could drink the whole thing, so I asked them, and they said just drink as much as you can and write down how much it was.

I’ll keep my eye out for info on gout.. there's a Viome Facebook group. Making my way through those posts now.

People are reporting that their results and recommendations as reported on the Viome app sometimes change.. it seems that Viome keeps updating them, according to how their research evolves. Interesting.

drezy likes this.
  16. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Jack has talked about gout and uric acid before somewhere...

JanSz, karenr and drezy like this.
  17. karenr

karenr Silver

Quick update on Viome.. got my test kit today! Now it’s just a poop test, no sugar drinking, yay!

From Viome.. “Based on our customers feedback, the Metabolic Intelligence test has been very difficult for some of customers to complete and we wanted to find a solution. Viome’s R&D and Artificial Intelligence teams have been working tirelessly to come up with robust algorithms to pull the metabolic response information directly from the Gut Intelligence test results to generate personalized recommendations. We are finally able to deliver your Personal Nutrition Plan without having you perform the Metabolic Intelligence test.”

(Glad to hear that artificial intelligence works tirelessly).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  18. karenr

karenr Silver

Just checking in, for no special or important reason. Been busy being “different.”
    Seriously, I think this is a very apt distinction..
    21242FF2-343B-43C9-9549-84CC702E5EDF.jpeg

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I'm going to put there here for your reading later.

Why avoiding functional medicine pseudoscience linked to gut health is WISE: Read this post if you’re interested in gut health, leaky gut, autoimmune disease, and how to fix it:

This paper is so full of gold nuggets that I recommend you read it carefully from beginning to end. But let me tell you the big takeaways as I interpreted it:

1) our gut epithelium (single layer of cells) is what protects us from toxins we ingest and what allows nutrients from what we ingest into our bloodstream.

2) in order for the epithelial lining in your gut to work properly, ALL of the cells must communicate with each other at all times.

3) the communication between the cells in your epithelial lining happen through electrical (LIGHT) signaling.

4) gap junctions are what lie between each cell that facilitates this electrical signal communication between the cells.

5) dysfunctional gap junctions = dysfunctional epithelial lining = leaky gut, poor nutrient absorption, toxicity in the body.

6) one of the major events that can shut down gap junction signaling is an influx of too much calcium into the cells.

7) in 2013, Dr. Martin Pall discovered that WIRELESS RADIATION (FROM CELL PHONES, LAPTOPS, BLUETOOTH, WI-FI ROUTERS, SMART METERS, MICROWAVES, etc.) directly affects the voltage-gated calcium channels sitting on the cell membrane of every cell. It “swings the gate open” and allows CALCIUM TO FLOOD INTO THE CELL. Don’t believe me? Here is the study. Read: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3780531/

let’s recap:

Leaky gut is real because nnEMF causes it.

Leaky gut is an epidemic of massive proportions and is possibly a root cause of all gut dysfunction, poor nutrition, toxicity, autoimmunity, autism, cancer, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and every other disease known to humans.

Gut permeability is regulated by the ability of cells in the epithelium to be able to speak to each other.

electrical impulses in the gap junctions between cells regulate the ability of cells to communicate to each other using electrons protons, and light.

Wireless radiation SHUTS DOWN GAP JUNCTIONS and causes breakdown of cell communication, this CAUSING LEAKY GUT.

If you cut your finger, and then subsequently reopen the cut on your finger 3 times per day, will the cut heal if you put a band-aid on it in between reopening it? That’s exactly what changing your diet and taking supplements for leaky gut is when you continue to hold a cell phone near your gut and bathe in wireless radiation 24/7.

Think about this the next time you are taking a supplement that is purported to heal leaky gut.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK26857/

Alex97232, Lahelada, Antonis and 8 others like this.
  20. karenr

karenr Silver

Wow, thanks @Jack Kruse , really appreciate your interpretation, and I'll make my way through that chapter!

I've reduced my own use of wifi to where meter readings aren’t higher than ambient levels, but those are too high. So there's still that elephant in the room that I'm working around, to focus on the things that I'm able to do. I still don’t see any means of changing the living situation, so I just remain open to the possibility.

After a few false starts, today is the first real day of spring up here, so there's that to look forward to! 5 months of outdoor time.

JanSz likes this.