1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Just started cytomel and have questions

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by DarleenMB, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Sorry I don't have any answers since I don't have a BG issue and only check mine every now and then when I suspect certain foods are a problem. Hopefully, there are others out there on Cytomel who have experiences to share with you.

2. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

3. Yes kiwi. I am trying it. Starting to think rT3 is my major problem with years of low iron and thyroid destruction (from eating gluten). I had low iron for 20 some years. That is one cause of high rT3. Getting some advice from a yahoo group on this. It's most interesting but confusing as taking T4 can cause high rT3. Just chewed my Armour this morning. I might even start a night dose. It was suggested I stabilize Adrenals and get iron higher before trying just T3 no NDT. I wAs surprised to find that the Armour tasted good - sweet even. Kind of scary. Wonder whats in it. I will be interested to see my labs on Monday.

4. Yes, Kiwi I do that! Except I am now taking T3 but I used to do it with my NDT. I used the circadian method T3 protocol (CMT3) for healing the adrenals while also clearing the rT3. It took about 6 months for me. Now I like the T3 so am staying on it for a little while. There is a lot to the timing of when you take the early dose. You start at 1.5 hrs prior to your normal wake-up time and go backwards from there depending on HR, temp, BP. Those must be monitored 2-3 times a day to see what is happening. It was a success for me and my adrenals are good except the morning is a little high now. But I have adjusted the time of day I take the morning dose and the amount. The adrenals were so bad I started out in the very bottom of the range on all four test times.

http://recoveringwitht3.com/

5. Forest Labs who makes Armour, added a sweetener and changed the filler in the tablet a few years ago. I think most of the tabs, unless compounded have some type of "sugar" added to them. :mad:

Thyroid Hormone in Armour Thyroid

The active ingredient in Armour Thyroid is derived from pig thyroid glands. It is a combination of the thyroid hormones T4 (levothyroxine) and T3 (liothyronine). According to Forest Laboratories, the maker of Armour Thyroid, these hormones are in a fixed ratio in each tablet of 4.22 parts T4 to 1 part T3. The prescribing information for Armour Thyroid states each 60 mg tablet of Armour contains 38 mcg of T4 and 9 mcg of T3.

Lubricant in Armour Thyroid Tablets

Calcium stearate is an inactive ingredient used as a lubricant in Armour Thyroid tablets. According to Pharmaceutical Formulation Databases and Resources, lubricants in medication tablets help keep the medication powder from sticking to the equipment used to make the tablet.

Fillers in Armour Thyroid Tablets

Dextrose and microcrystalline cellulose are inactive ingredients used in Armour Thyroid tablets. According to Pharmaceutical Formulation Databases and Resources, these act as fillers and compression aids to improve the overall characteristics of the tablet powder.

Other Inactive Ingredients in Armour Thyroid Tablets

According to Pharmaceutical Formulation Databases and Resources, sodium starch glycolate is used to help the Armour Thyroid tablets dissolve once a patient takes the pill. Opadry white is a coloring agent that helps keep the color consistent in each batch of tablets.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/43912-armour-thyroid-list-ingredients/#ixzz29kpFWRpy

6. Thanks for the info and web link Patty. The advice I got was to work on adrenals and iron level first then drop NDT and do T3. Just wondering who the heck will rx it for me. Fx med doc might but that's $$$. My new PMD ? Not sure. I see her Monday. She'll prob say labs look fine. But no way to know until I get there. I need to find a concise clear outline of dosing and bring it with me.

7. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

WOW. Really interesting stuff you guys.

My FBG was 101 this morning. I am thinking that the fact I had not eaten for a good 18-20 hours might have had something to do with the spike I had. Yesterday I made sure I ATE. A packet of sardines for lunch and a pork chop and beets for dinner.

I'm also happy to report that today's first temp of the day (3 hours after rising) is 97.8!!! and yes, that's cause for celebration because normally it's 96.4 or less.

8. So after getting BW results I decided not to ask for T3 and just go with more Armour. What do u think??

TSH 2.69 previous 2.10

T4, free 0.7 L(0.8-1.8)

Thyroglobulin antibodies 39 H (

9. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Jennifer;61286 wrote: So after getting BW results I decided not to ask for T3 and just go with more Armour. What do u think??

TSH 2.69 previous 2.10

T4, free 0.7 L(0.8-1.8)

Thyroglobulin antibodies 39 H (

10. thanks kiwi...i went up to 120 from 90 Armour so I'll get both

11. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I would agree with this. You don't seem to have an rt3 problem. Whew, doesn't that feel good to have something working right? Gotta take those results and enjoy them! One less thing to fix!

12. I agree all the way around. Up that Armour and keep upping every 10-14 days or so. Make sure your dose is split and taken morning and afternoon. I would, just to be on the safe side, up it only 15 mg each increase and add to alternating times of day. You may be good at 120 or may need 15 or even 60 more mg/day.

The eggs thing is interesting. I wonder if the ABs would go even lower w/o eggs or if you personally don't have a problem with them.

13. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Question for those of you on T3 only. Is anyone else experiencing an increase in appetite? Recently added a third dose as I titrate up (current schedule is now 12.5, 6.25, 6.25) and am definitelty feeling more hunger in the late afternoon. The usual lunches are not carrying me through the entire afternoon. Adding more protein/fat with lunch today to see if that helps.

On the other hand, sleep has been good! My body still shuts down early (8:30 PM) though.

14. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Yes fitness I noticed that myself. Today I gave up and am back on the single dose.

Which brings me to MY question. The last several mornings I have looked the goodyear blimp. I don't ever recall my eyes being THIS puffy and it doesn't appear to really go away during the day. I'm drinking plenty of water and quit the salt water first thing in the A.M. a couple of 3 days ago.

So has anyone else experienced this?

15. Never noticed an increase in appetite on T3. It revs up your metabolism so maybe it's a temporary thing.

16. I know puffy eyes are usually a sign of hypothyroidism. But the bloated puffiness could also be from something else that the thyroid problem as always masked. Although there are people who cannot tolerate for a lot of reasons the T3.

17. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Before I was ever diagnosed hypo, I had very swollen eyes. I would ask my dh why my eyes were swollen and his weren't. I ate way better than him and not much salt then either. Then a month ago when I switched from Armour to t3 only, the very next day my eyes swelled up. They have since gone down some but not entirely. I am not giving up though. I want to clear my rt3 and if I can function then I am staying the course even if they are a little swollen.

Can you ask your doc to give you smaller doses so you can take it thruout the day more often and won't have to cut them up? From what I have learned, it only has a short life of about 4 hours and I don't know how one dose will really help you. Anyone else think this way?

Maybe you should try Armour; you wouldn't have to worry about multi-dosing so much and it might just take that swelling away. I don't remember if you have a rt3 or not and if you are trying to clear it. It cost me about $5 at the reg. pharmacy for a month's supply.

18. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Doesn't Armour have both T4 and T3? and yes, I'm trying to clear the RT3.

As for the dosage I could, indeed, as her to change the scrip to smaller amounts used several times a day. But I would like to know if that's necessary before I do it. IF you're right and the T3 only lasts about 4 hours then I definitely need to do that.

19. puffiness, need more potassium and salt?