1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Juicing?

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by MeghanK, Apr 13, 2013.

1. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

I didnt see anything on Dr. Jack's thoughts on Juicing? Good? Bad? If good, any particular recipe?

2. Dextery

Dextery New Member

You don't see Dr K juicing because he doesn't do it. Juicing veggies is like dumping a lot of carbs into the gut that will immediately spike the blood sugar.

Remember, there are no essential carbohydrates necessary for survival and optimal. Not mentioned in any of the RX prescriptions at all that I can remember.

About the only juicing I have seen is a lady that had access to a fish processing plant and got all the fish heads she needed for nothing and took them home and juiced them with some added stevia. Brain powder juicing epi-paleo style.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Juicing is a great way to hurt yourself.......

4. cantweight

cantweight Gold

"Great." Said the fat lady that has done every juice fast and feast known to man. Damn.

Martha Ray likes this.
  5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

maybe that is why the fat did not go away and grew? Juicing is a great way to main line fructose minus the pectin and non soluble fiber.

Martha Ray likes this.
  6. caroline

caroline Moderator

Christi - don't beat yourself up - we have all been there .....when you know better - you do so much better!

Martha Ray likes this.
  7. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

I actually have never juiced.... just heard "Drew Canole" interviewed on a million podcasts and all the "DETOX" diets seem to be juice fasts etc.... so just wondering...
    I am guessing you feel the same way about smoothies... it just seems like a quick way to spike glucose and sugar! Good, I don't need to waste money on a Vitamix ;)

Martha Ray likes this.
  8. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

I have heard that blending the vegetables and fruits together increases blood sugar faster....but I'm thinking every once in awhile with the right blend of fruits and vegetables it wouldn't be too bad as long as you don't have huge quantities.

A small amount of berries with some kale and some other greens. I figure Jack probably doesn't do them and wouldn't advise them, but to me it sounds like it could be a perfectly healthy choice. I guess blood sugar testing would be the best way to to tell if a smoothie is good for you.

That being said if you don't already have a good blender, and aren't sure what impact it would have on your blood sugar there is no point in buying one to try it out. Also if your drinking one right before a workout and/or CT than that would make a difference as well. I think I remember reading that things are more bioavailable when blended, and you do get more concentrated nutrition, but whether that is worth it would be dependent on that blood sugar to a large extent.

At least that's my thoughts on it.

Martha Ray likes this.
  9. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Although I don't do juicing myself, my husband has juiced periodically over the past six months. He watched the movie "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and decided to give it a try. In between he usually eats a low carb diet.

He went out and bought a Breville juicer and really surprised me by sticking to it. Only juices vegetables...didn't like the sweetness when adding fruit.

Long story short is that he is 30 lbs lighter now. Went from 240 to 210.

Another thing he learned from doing this is that he is very sensitive to dairy... He did not drink milk for 3-4 months. After drinking a glass of milk again he couldn't ignore his body's reaction (lots of phlegm). Very rarely drinks milk now.

Martha Ray likes this.
  10. Martin

Martin Gold

I like juices.

I like the idea of concentrated extraction of fruits and veggies, and a large helping of it just has to be good, right? After all, it's fruits and veggies?

My mom was big on them. We have a big Vitamix. Lots of homegrown stuff to juice.

I was astounded to learn about how the fructose just goes nuts on your blood glucose. A glass of OJ never looked the same after that. Green juices? Prolly okay, but not worth the trouble, and taste, to me.

But what would have my long-lost ancestors done? Gather food and squish it between rocks to greedily gulp the juices? I doubt it, but maybe.

I have chosen to avoid juice, and miss it dearly.

Martha Ray likes this.
  11. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

I don't think Fructose in juice or anything else has anything to do with making blood glucose go nuts as they are two different kinds of sugars. Fructose in excess can overtax the liver and if not used for energy or to make Glycogen will end up as fat in the liver or elsewhere. Fruit juice spikes blood glucose because it contains a good amount of glucose which is certainly not good. Yeah green juices that include the fiber sound like they could be ok for some people, but I'm not sure I could get into drinking them either. Where my blood glucose and insulin sensitivity are now its probably not a good idea for me anyway.

My best guess is green juices even with included fiber probably aren't good for anyone who isn't Leptin/Insulin sensitive. Perhaps it would be ok for someone doing a workout, but Jack has said before that we shouldn't be exercising much if at all while we are still LR.

12. Martin

Martin Gold

When I thought about it later, I meant to go back and check "fructose", and meant to say "glucose". Thanks for the correction.

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

What about the guy that was the face of juicing for many years - cant remember his name - he just died last year? He seemed very fit and healthy - he ate a very simple diet and lots of seafood....

14. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold

Jack LaLanne? http://www.powerjuicer.com/

Martha Ray likes this.
  15. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

A juicer might be good, actually. Toss away the juice, and use the stuff in the filter. Probably full of resveratrol, if you are juicing berries.

Martha Ray likes this.
  16. I used to make green juices in the past quite a bit. My favourite was cucumber, spinach and fennel (weird I know haha). They were recommended to me when I was too weak and sick to digest food (b/c of gut issues and inability to properly chew raw foods to extract nutrients due to TMJ issues).

I also juiced carrots occasionally when I needed a sugar boost and added fish oil to it to stimulate bile production in the liver.

Some strongly advocate juicing for detox (like the Gerson Therapy). You basically drink tons of fresh vegetable juice and do coffee enemas.
    I feel they benefit some in the short term, but in the long term they cannot provide the right nutrient density required to stay healthy in this society.

I honestly feel like it hugely depends on the person's environment and their health status; If it is pristine and the body is not bombarded with stressors (chemical, EMF, infectious, metals, work, etc etc) then I would imagine a person can thrive on most natural foods (not artificial processes junk of course).

Martha Ray likes this.
  17. cantweight

cantweight Gold

I have to agree beach bunny. I followed some Gerson protocol when I was very ill and I know it helped me immensely. I did only green juice and occasional grapefruit as I was trying to kill candida. Kale, romaine, lemon, and green apple was my mix. My family still drinks it I have avoided drinking my carbs.

Coffee enemas were a big player in my health improvement. I give them a good bit of credit. I was a mess at the time.

The only thing I am now is fat and tired. (working on those!) I'll take that over sick and dying any day!

Martha Ray likes this.
  18. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Just be aware that juicing things like spinach kale etc can cause or contribute to thyroid issues. People don't really think about goiter type foods but massive dosing of green juicing can really negatively affect you if you go overboard...a few a here or there doesn't hurt but sometimes people think "if a little of something is good for you then a lot must be great!" and in this case that is not true...

Martha Ray likes this.
  19. Christi, I'm so glad to hear how much better you felt from Gerson stuff! I hope you see tremendous improvement for your current protocols too!

Martha Ray likes this.
  20. So glad you pointed this out nuttmegs! I had no idea about this thyroid suppressor relationship:
    Goiter[edit]
    Cruciferous vegetables can potentially be goitrogenic (inducing goiter formation). They contain enzymes that interfere with the formation of thyroid hormone in people with iodine deficiency.[8][9] Cooking for 30 minutes significantly reduces the amount of goitrogens and nitriles. At high intake of crucifers, the goitrogens inhibit the incorporation of iodine into thyroid hormone and also the transfer of iodine into milk by the mammary gland.[10] (from Wikipedia)

Here is a video that clears up the context (it is really an issue for those with iodine deficiency !)
    http://renegadehealth.com/blog/2009/08/07/the-real-effect-of-raw-cruciferous-vegetables-on-the-thyroid

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    Martha Ray likes this.