1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Jill Hershey Optimal Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by jillhershey73, Nov 24, 2018.

1. History: Hello! My name is Jill and I’m 45 years old. I am a first grade school teacher, a single mom, a travel sports taxi and a graduate student. I’m sure you can imagine my stress at times is through the roof. Trust me, teachers don’t sing songs and cut and paste all day. I have always lived at or around New Park, Pa which is right along the Mason-Dixon line. (If you want to know specifically it is 11.9628'' N and 77° 11' 40.2972''. The USA elevation is 177 meters in height, that is equal to 581 feet.)

I have never really been at an ideal weight except for a few months in my 30’s where I got somewhat “lean” when I was doing lots of running and intermittent fasting. I only was doing this because of a dental issue so it wasn’t intentionally intermittent fasting. At 5’3” I have weighed anywhere from 130 – 180 pounds in my adulthood. Ever since I was in my twenties I have noticed that I get “the shakes” when I eat a lot of carbs with little or no protein or fat. I have always known something has been off in regard to my biochemistry but not doctor has really ever been able to pinpoint it. I could never eat like my friends and maintain a normal weight. No matter what I ate or how hard I exercised I never lost weight. I also noticed that when I exercise or lift weights my recovery takes twice as long as others my age doing the same workout. I was always stiff and sore longer than I thought I should be. I have seen many holistic doctors and they have always have tried to give me their best guidance using the information they had but they never were able to fix any of my issues, which we all know are hormonal in nature.

Despite being active and eating well I am hypothyroid and pre-diabetic. I have been on about every type of thyroid medication in the last 5 – 6 years and now am on T3 only (Cytomel – have also been on instant release compounded T3). In the last several years I have gone from 29% body fat to 41% body fat with a lean muscle loss of 10 pounds despite thyroid hormone replacement. I have been getting BodPod assessments for several years now to track this data. Even though I have eaten a high saturated fat/moderate protein/lowish carb diet over the last several months I still have above average 1 hour and 2 hour post prandials and have rapidly gained body fat. I have been on Glucophage (brand name metformin) for a about a year. It has aided my in losing about 5% body fat but at my current status I have a long way to go. My cholesterol numbers have gone downhill along with my thyroid numbers in recent labs. Blood pressure is always good. My insulin and leptin have also gotten worse over the years despite tightening up the diet and doing more resistance training and HIIT. I know these are all linked. I often wonder if being in grad school over the last four years has had a lot to do with my decline. Late stressful nights in front of blue lights for long periods of time right with little sun except during the summer? Grad school will be over by June so I'm seeing the end! I’m a lifeguard during the summer and I have the easiest time with my weight during summer. Oh, I forgot to add, I have had one pregnancy that was completely normal. No issues getting pregnant and no complications. I did however notice that I did not make a whole lot of milk to breastfeed.

As for my family, both my parents are pre-diabetic. My grandmother was diabetic but did't become diabetic until her late years. She also had Parkinson's tremors. My brother also has non Parkinson's tremors. Both my grandmothers lived to an old age. My mom's father died of a heart attack at an early age and my dad's father died of old age of natural causes. Both my father and mother are on statins and my father is on several different types of heart medication. He had a triple bypass over twenty years ago. They also both have blood pressure issues. My dad can’t keep weight on and my mom is very obese. My mother, brother, aunt, and cousins all are hypothyroid. We often wonder if there is “something in our water”. Cancer is not really prevalent in our family. My dad’s brother, my Uncle John, just passed away from complications due to kidney cancer. However, his kidney cancer has been linked to the contaminated water lawsuit against Camp LeJeune (https://www.classaction.org/blog/camp-lejeune-water-contamination-litigation-heres-where-we-are-now). My dad’s Aunt Sally had breast cancer and his Uncle Jim had a cancer as well but my dad can’t remember what it is.

I am planning to connect with my doctor to run Dr. Jack’s list of labs. I know I need to also do the 23 and Me testing. However, below are some labs I have had run over the last year. They were run without progesterone and thyroid supplementation (except for the last batch of thyroid labs where I ran them on Cyomel). Any aha's will be much appreciated!

I am really excited to reconnect with nature and the lifestyle of our ancestors on my road to optimal!

Sex: F

Joined JackKruse.com: November 2018

Dx: pre-diabetic, hypothyroid, chronic fatigue

Surgeries: none

Current Rx:

· Instant release Cytomel

· Glucophage (brand name metformin)

· DHEA cream (haven’t been using)

· Progesterone cream (haven’t been using)

Current Protocols:

· Blue blockers ordered and waiting shipment

· Installed Iris software on my laptop and unscrewed regular lightbulbs in my room and have been using candlelight (need to order low blue light bulbs when I need more light than candles)

Going to begin CT protocol tonight

· Have already begun Leptin RX and I drink a lot of water

· Going to begin getting at least 20 mins of sunlight in morning along with grounding tomorrow

· Drinking lots of green tea (green tea bags steeped in hot water)

· Accupuncture every week and trying to work less and relax more

· Haven’t exercised in a while (hard to get motivated when you don’t see results) but plan to light walking on treadmill around 5:00 p.m. during Leptin RX protocol then move to weights/sprints once leptin sensitive

· Hoping to get my doctor to put me on Cycloset to help with cortisol

Health Goals:

· Optimize thyroid and ditch the T3 meds

· Ditch the Glucophage

· Improve body composition (by A LOT)

· Improve cholesterol

· Lower insulin to between 2 - 4

· Fix circadian rhythms

· Improve leptin sensitivity

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 11.21.26 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 11.21.47 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 11.22.06 AM.png

drezy likes this.
  2. drezy

drezy New Member

I'm curious, how is baby doing?

3. Did I mention baby was 11? Lol! He is great!

drezy likes this.
  4. drezy

drezy New Member

I'm glad to hear that.

11 is still innocent enough. We are exiting that domain now with a 14 year old boy.

FWIW, with all my testing 18-21oz schooner glasses full of frozen margarita seem to always increase my body fat percentage. If you find a hack I'd like to be the first to hear it.

I think it's a good idea, at least in lieu of genetic info, to dip into CT. I've done it 4 times this week and usually average 4-6 times a week. A diabetic close to me once humored me by doing a week of cold showers that did significantly effect on glucose measurements opposed to prior to cold showers.

I'm assuming that your relationship with your child is close. Though the 20's may be a wash I can guarantee that your child sure wouldn't mind having you around for advice in their 30s, 40s, 50s, and beyond if possible. Each new challenge to my beliefs or comfort that I encounter here I remind myself of that need/goal.

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

welcome to journal land!

6. Very gradually moving into CT. Did the face dunking tonight and have taken 2 cold showers. More of me was out of the water than in the first time but it was a little better the second time!

drezy likes this.