1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Jacks Optimal Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Jacks, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Jacks

Jacks Gold

Well - we are totally screwed now with respect to getting enough Vit D here in CA. The fires have started and the air quality is appalling. Fires going strong and most of northern CA has bad air - other than along the coast right now. Probably par for the course for the rest of the year! Ugh..

2. Jacks

Jacks Gold

Well - my weight is continuing to drop slowly, which is good news. Only about 10-12 lbs to lose now - lost about 4 or 5 lbs in the last few months. Fasting one day a week, I go 11-12 hours without food most nights, doing occasional CT, limiting carbs, get out as much as possible, wearing blue blockers when working, enjoying my garden (birds, bees and butterflies) and trying to eat things from my garden that are in season. Planning on testing Vit D again later this month prior to the winter months to see if I need a bit of a boost. My toe tendinitis finally seems to be improving slowly. We also have a fairly new puppy which is giving us all joy.

Richard Watson and caroline like this.
  3. Jacks

Jacks Gold

Well - I did another Vitamin D test a week ago - close to the time we are starting to lose UVB light - I think we get a little bit but probably not much right now. I got the result - 35. I guess the good news is that it hasn't gone down significantly, but the bad news is that it hasn't really gone up since my last measurement despite reasonable sun exposure. My Vitamin D level this year has ranged from 29 to 42 over a 6-9 month period. I suspect my environment is not ideal - but happy that it hasn't dropped to less than 20, which it was about 8 years ago. I know JK is not keen on supplementation but I can't travel to Mexico right now to fix that, but I plan to take some to increase my Vit D for the winter time. I don't like to do this as I like nature's way. I will continue to get as much natural light as possible and ramp up the CT now moving into wintertime and reduce carbs more.

Richard Watson likes this.
  4. Jacks

Jacks Gold

Also recently I have noticed my toe tendinitis tends to go away if I walk it off - so after about 10-15 mins of walking the pain goes away. Wondering if the pain is related to whether my attention is on it or not! I did have a massive amount of pain and swelling about 2 weeks ago when the first low pressure storm came through CA. It was exscrutiating and I could barely walk but then after the rain stopped went away. I did not realize how much air pressure can affect us.

Richard Watson likes this.
  5. Dan2

Dan2 Pedantic schlub

@Jacks
    "Well - I did another Vitamin D test a week ago - close to the time we are starting to lose UVB light - I think we get a little bit but probably not much right now. I got the result - 35. I guess the good news is that it hasn't gone down significantly, but the bad news is that it hasn't really gone up since my last measurement despite reasonable sun exposure. My Vitamin D level this year has ranged from 29 to 42 over a 6-9 month period. I suspect my environment is not ideal - but happy that it hasn't dropped to less than 20, which it was about 8 years ago. I know JK is not keen on supplementation but I can't travel to Mexico right now to fix that, but I plan to take some to increase my Vit D for the winter time."

Have you considered trying a UVB lamp?

https://www.sperti.com/product/fiji-sun-tanning-lamp/

You could put infrared and red-heavy visible bulbs near it too to do red+IR light therapy while getting the UVB (and the Fiji puts out a balanced amount of UVA too with the UVB).

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?search/37867809/&q=sperti&o=date&c[user][0]=20918

JanSz uses a Fiji lamp to get UVB sometimes at New Jersey latitude.

Jacks and John Schumacher like this.
  6. Jacks

Jacks Gold

Thanks - will check this out. I have a red light but realized it probably has flicker - not an EMR tech one - so thinking about getting either a sauna space lamp or EMR tech red light in its place. But Sperti lamp could be a good option too.

John Schumacher likes this.
  7. Jacks

Jacks Gold

Also realized the light was hazy today. This is interesting as we tend to get very hazy light in the summer (due to geoengineering and pollution is my guess) but the light is usually better in the fall through spring - with clearer skies so frustrating to see even the autumn light destroyed too.

8. @Jacks from your location in Berkley, can you get your bare feet on a walk in that moist sand of the bay to watch whatever sunrise maybe available to you over that Pacific Coastal Range?

Jacks and Dan2 like this.
  9. Jacks

Jacks Gold

Great idea - now that the clocks are going back to normal and I can go before work. However, will have to find a safe place as a lot of the areas down by the bay are now where the homeless folks live - not that I'm against them and who knows, maybe I'll become one of them - but there are definitely some crazies amongst them. Also the closest locations are right by the freeway so not so nice and noisy! I used to go to a slough for sunrise down near my office in San Mateo when I was commuting, which was great. Now the sun is visible almost an hour after sunrise due to the hills.

10. Jacks

Jacks Gold

Another question - would doing the Sperti outside using an extension cord during the middle of the day be a good option if no appropriate red light? Also I remember listening to a JK plus Reuben podcast when they were talking about doing CT at the same time as the the Sperti which magnified the effect of Vit D production.

11. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Dicing and slicing
    @Jack Kruse advises to drive with car windows slightly crack open, to allow UV inside the car.

Jacks likes this.
  12. Jacks

Jacks Gold

Yes! I used to do that on my commute as much as possible. I now work at home with a window open right in front of my desk so get some natural light on me throughout the day, though little direct sunlight, except when I take a break when letting the puppy outside and lunch.

13. Dan2

Dan2 Pedantic schlub

"would doing the Sperti outside using an extension cord during the middle of the day be a good option if no appropriate red light?"

Yeah that'd be better than using a red light panel. I respect your dedication too, to get out the extension cord. You could also use the Sperti inside without a red light panel. You could just use some warm Edison-style bulbs or one or two of these

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/daytime_heat_lamp.php

because those (Edison-style or the Exoterra) will make more red proportionally than most lightbulbs, so then you just use however many makes the amount of light feel balanced with the brightness of the Sperti and you'll have a lot of red in that. Even though it's not obviously visibly red like a red light panel, sunlight being ~42% (?) red light looks like more of a balance of the colors too.

14. Jacks

Jacks Gold

Thanks!

By the way, I have one of these red and IR LED panels:
    RedRush 360 Body Light (660nm RED & 850nm NIR Combo) by Red Therapy Company LLC

Do you know anything about flicker for this device?

15. Dan2

Dan2 Pedantic schlub

This is a conversation between me and Michael Chapiro ( https://chroma.substack.com ) in 2020.

"What are your thoughts about talk about flicker with LED infrared panels?"

"It's irrelevant. Real flicker that is of concern is of 2 varieties: 1) fluorescent; 2) PWM, which means pulsing on and off very rapidly because the eye perceives this as dimming. NIR is on or off (in fact sometimes deliberately pulsed). People who talk about noise in circuitry and minute variations are pseudoscientific, fear-mongering, luddite quacks with zero rigorous validation for what they are saying.

These are the same people that are scared of almost everything, yet they live in modern society too so you know what they really think If they lived in the woods you'd never hear from them!"

""PWM, which means pulsing on and off very rapidly because the eye perceives this as dimming. NIR is on or off (in fact sometimes deliberately pulsed)"
    So why is the on or off of NIR LEDs not a concern if PWM is?"

"Because when you turn on NIR you leave it on"

"Are you ok with me posting a quote, keeping you anonymous, of the first paragraph of your 1st response, my response, and your 2nd response on the Jack Kruse forum to see what they might say about it?"

"Go for it. Feel free to mention my name and link to my newsletter if it gets any traction. More traffic!"

"Alright. I'll not mention you at first and if you see the thread and want to say it was you, want to do that? Or I can mention your IR products and newsletter up front. Any more details about the noise in circuitry and minute variations not being an issue that you want me to include?"

"Sure, general idea is that everything is so suboptimal that we need to make macro changes before even considering the micro -- not only is it practically absurd how some people fixate on the micro, but it is not tenable to do science because the differences are negligible. It's like arguing about which exact exercise regiment is the optimal when the real problem is that most people do not exercise enough in absolute terms! Just linking to my newsletter, https://chroma.substack.com and mentioning that I write there is fine to include in initial post.

Can also mention I have this FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/465488087163164/

I guess another key message is the people making near-IR panels don't understand the incredibly basic concepts of power and conservation of energy so it's absurd to think they would be able to understand anything about circuit design. Panels are purchased off-the-shelf because they are greenhouse light fixtures.

If people want something to worry about, they can worry about the fact that all those panels have the AC DC transformer in the device enclosure, which has vents so it is unsealed!

The thing I am building (yeah, I'm actually building something rather than buying off-the-shelf panels) has the transformer 10 ft away from the device in a hermetically sealed (watertight) aluminum enclosure. Wayyyy more EMFs coming off a transformer so if you're worried about that... traditional panels are not the way to go."

"So, to see if I understand what you're saying, the IR LED panels can be made to flicker or not, but that flicker is such a marginal effect that it's not something to influence which IR LED device the person buys? And a question of mine - you couldn't make the high-powered IR devices with non-flickering LEDs anyway? Is it more costly? An issue with the power output of LEDs that wouldn't flicker? I saw a post in the Mitochondriacs group where a guy said to buy a Chinese company's $250 IR LED panel on Alibaba and request that it's the non-flicker version of that panel, whcih he tested, and the company could do that for the same price. Am I misremembering the details of your devices -- both the Iron Fist and the new 3000W one you posted in the Facebook group about, they use LEDs, right?"

"The thing I posted recently on FB was a joke. That was a stovetop. None of the LEDs flicker (or at least 99% of them don't) in near-IR panels. Deliberate pulsing is a thing, typically in brain devices such as vielight, or in larger bed systems like Novothor"

""None of the LEDs flicker (or at least 99% of them don't) in near-IR panels."
    So how did the talk of testing IR panels for flicker get momentum?

Marketing a marginal difference to claim a company's model is worth buying over popular competitors? And people who test their panels for flicker are getting results from a small percentage of the LEDs and think it's the whole panel flickering and/or that small percentage has an effect worth buying another panel because of?"

"I really don't care. Maybe there are a bunch of really shitty products out there. I'm just focused on making great products and delighting customers rather than focusing on competition. That they lie about power levels, buy off the shelf panels, and can't understand that is more than enough of a hook.

I don't base my products on fixing elements of what already exists -- I think about should exist and work directly toward that. The whole notion of a panel is complete garbage. Working on Youtube videos to explain all this. Will start releasing in the next few weeks."

"So why not just use LEDs that don't flicker since some more people might buy your product if you do? Couldn't you still educate people about why it's not as much of an issue as they might think it is while also being able to say you don't have any LEDs flickering on yours?"

"I don't use flickering LEDs :facepalm:

Cool, thanks for the tip

I'll mention that my LEDs don't flicker in product white paper"

"Alright, I didn't know whether you saying "None of the LEDs flicker (or at least 99% of them don't) in near-IR panels" meant there's a small amount of LEDs on most panels that might flicker or that a small percentage of manufacturers use LEDs that do flicker"

"this is not worth my time, sorry"

Jacks likes this.
  16. Jacks

Jacks Gold

Thanks. So I gather from this interchange that flicker is not an issue to worry about with NIR panels but power levels are more an issue. Great. The panel I have was reviewed by Ari Whitten and in his opinion was one of the better choices and I think I remember that he looked into the power output in his review of products. I'll take a look as his substack later. Too many things to research - I got into some of the Vit D blogs too yesterday and looks like there are lots of rabbit holes to go down with that too.

Dan2 likes this.
  17. Dan2

Dan2 Pedantic schlub

Maybe Ari Whitten or other people who make IR panels have a better answer than that. Or maybe the LED panel manufacturers wouldn't have as good of an answer as a more medical only to be used by doctors or mostly marketed that way kind of light therapy company, because Michael Chapiro is right that a lot of the LED panels are slightly changed and remarketed indoor plant grow light panels, and a more medical device kind of company might have a more knowledgable sales rep team.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  18. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Jack Kruse is talking about his red light. It mended broken bones in a very short time.
    So the light is proven to work.
    Who made that light?

Dan2 likes this.
  19. 8Phoenix

8Phoenix New Member

I think he detail talk here

20. JanSz

JanSz Gold

If you have,
    please post the time when Jack starts talking about the guy whom he helped with his big red light.