1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Is this too much training?

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Butters, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Butters

Butters New Member

Hey there. My training consists of:

Mo: Weightlifiting
    Di: HIIT
    Mi: Weightlifting
    Do: HIIT
    Fr: Weightlifting
    Sa: HIIT

Weightlifting 45-60min
    HIIT 20min like Jack mentioned

What do you say? I don't planning on carb loading big, because I don't need to. Weightlifting is Standart 3x5 - 5x5, so glycogen depletion maybe isn't an big issue. When I carbload only in the spring/summer time in strong photoelectric effects.

Is this too much? I don't want to break myself down on the inside...

2. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

"Too much" depends on your philosophy ;), as well as your approach to exercise.

If "is this too much" means "is it going to harm me?", then the answer is that you don't know if you can actually tolerate those stressors, unless you assess your recovery patterns.

My opinion is that based on your Journal, this sort of exercise regime is not good for you.

----

A standard 3x5 - 5x5 template can crazy taxing or just fine, depending on how the sets are done. If you do the standard Rippletoe style straight sets with standard 3-5 min rests, you bet that's a huge metabolic and nervous system stressor.

If you do something like the Pendlay style single top set at RPE 8 + easy drop sets, or the russian methodology of keeping all 5 sets to an RPE of 7 or less (which is very low), and taking A LOT of rest so that form on each set is consistent and good, then I'd say that's fine.

Exercise selection matters too of course. 5x5 squats at anything above RPE 8 is metabolically taxing. 5x5 chin-ups at the same RPE maybe not so much.

Easy measure: are you walking out of your workouts more refreshed than before you started them? If not, then it's too stressful for your current condition.

----

20min of HIIT is crazy :eek:. Though that needs to be defined as well.

10 sets of 30-40m sprints with 1-2 min rest over 20 mins is maybe OK.
    5 sets of 400m sprints is crazy stressful

Again, if you're feeling shitty after this, then stop.

I would keep HIIT to 2 days a week at most. Start with the standard Tabata 30sec work / 30sec rest for 5 sets, and then ONLY increase the number of sets if you're feeling good after that. Do a 5-10 min warm up before the session, and do some mobility work after.

3. shah78

shah78 Gold

Not to sound like a broken record, (record? wtf is a record?)...... I gained over twenty lbs of muscle and lost almost ten lbs of fat at the age of 55-59 with an average of 40 minutes of lifting a month, no "intervals" and about ten miles of walking a week. Ten hours a week in the Cold tub plus light management plus low carb epi-paleo did the trick. You're so young, you should need even less to grow more. Any potential growth is being squandered by your lousy sleep. Lower your exercise quantity until you sleep like a baby........... note: I now feel that forty minutes /monthswas too much.:) I'm now down to 27 minutes /months for the last ten months and have upped my CT toward twelve/per week. It's working.

4. Butters

Butters New Member

I do the Rippetoe Method. But the Sets aren't really max-sets. I am working with like 80% of the 1RM.

I try not go get my nervous system crushed. I look on form and finish if I can't hold the correct form.

The last workouts with 5x5 or 5x3 I indeed walked out refreshed, now that you are mentioned it... Maybe because volume dropped.

Jack Kruse speaks of 20min HIIT in his Epi-Paleo RX 3x a week, if one is sensitive to Leptin. So I try to follow this advice.
    I now do tabata sets 20/10 x8 with 1min break between cycles.

I have no cold tub :(, yet.

Don't think this is much training. I don't exercising like crazy like a crossfitter. But I think about dropping maybe the HIIT, yeah maybe 2x is enough.

5. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

I do my Tabatas - only 1 set - on an erg rower - heart rate is 155+ at the end of 4 minutes. I read that in the intial tests it was shown to achieve 170% of aerobic maximum.

6. oceanwild

oceanwild New Member

It really depends on your goal, and if u take some dietary supplements like l-carnitine it will help to build muscle more effect.

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

it depends upon your redox............

rlee314 likes this.
  8. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Why not start out with the minimum dose for the largest benefits first... If you have progression then more isn't needed. As you improve and progress less is more and more can be handle. It is a balance.
    Bust start out with just a few "key" workouts that progress you to your goals. Then adjust intuitively as you go.... Life effects all of our training.... Sometime we need more rest some times less..... Intuitive training with auto-regulation built in.
    Like a drug.... Start with the lowest dose as possible.... You can always add from there.... your redox improves so does you level of training and recovery.
    Perhaps a good start if health markers are good:
    2 days a week lifting (30 min) with one day of HIIT (20min). The rest, long walks, swimming/ CT and connecting to nature.....

JoeBranca and shah78 like this.
  9. Dennis Clark

Dennis Clark Dr. Dennis Clark

Wow, Danco3636. I thought I'd whittled down the dose-response as much as possible (sprint intervals 40 sec on, 1.5 min rest; 3-4 times per week; add 1 McGuff-style super slo-mo weightlifting session per week). Now I run across the Tabata approach and find, much to my glee, that higher intensity for shorter periods and fewer workouts is even better! Comment by shah78 pointed me to this goldmine on the forum. I could just kick up my heels with delight (20 sec at a time). Thanks!

10. Butters

Butters New Member

Switched training to basic Kettlebell training with 2 exercises. Try to improve my movement patterns without burning out.
    I do Simple & Sinister from Pavel of Strong First. He basically describes training every day if possible but to a comfortable stop and almost never go to the max.
    I find that is easier on the mind than barbell lifting to the max.
    Also do some exercises with bodyweight but also without burning out and going to the max.

11. Jason Lutan

Jason Lutan New Member

Depends on your goal. To much HIT will take away your size and strength, so be careful