1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Is this too drastic for a thyroid solution?

Discussion in 'Heal Your Hormones' started by Tanya, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Tanya

Tanya Gold

I know that there is a ton of information both on the web and on this site regarding thyroid health. I have a few books about it as well.

I’ve been dealing with this issue for a very long time now since I was diagnosed as being hypothyroid some years ago and was put on 60 mg. of Armour thyroid. That dose had stayed the same even though my labs results varied.

Here is the last one that I had:
    Thyroid panel:
    Free thyroxine 0.9 (0.9-1.8)
    T3% Binding 38.53 (22.00-37.00)
    TSH 4.58 (0.35-5.50)
    Antithyroid AB panel -negative

ACI from Diagnos-Techs:
    Free cortisol rhythm: 5-8 AM 10 (13-24)
    11-1PM 4 (5-10)
    4-5 PM 5 (3-8)
    10PM-12AM 3 (1-4)
    DHEA 4 (3-10)

My basal temp was low - it never reached above 95.8, but I had seen it to go down to 93.5.

Here is my dilemma. Starting a month ago, I decided myself to cut my Armour Thyroid to 30 mg because it was my last refill and I did not feel like making an appointment to see my doctor for a new one. Yes, I always need to see the doctor for it and it and I feel drained afterwards.

Since I don’t take any additional iodine, at the same time I increased my consumption of seafood/seaweed.

This is what I see now. In the past, I could check mark almost all the symptoms (except for the weight gain) on the hypothyroid check list. Now only a few of them remain and even they could be interpreted as
    signs of my other health problems. My basal temp went to 96.4 five days ago and it is the same since.

In a few days I will be completely out of the Armour thyroid and I still want to continue on this route to see if I can make it without it altogether and control my thyroid with everything else that I’ve been doing lately.

I hope I am not playing Russian Roulette here and I need to know how long can someone go on without their thyroid meds before their condition gets worse.

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Tanya, you always had to see the doc for every Armour refill, but that doc never changed the strength?
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I applaud your taking things into your own hands. Keep watching your temp and other indicators (as if you need to be told, lol!)
    It would be nice to go to the doc after a week or so, get the labs again, and also a refill to keep on hand.

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

It looks like your body's trying to make T4 - I'd be interested in seeing what your Rt3 looks like as well as Free T3. looking at your TSH you've got an issue with conversion. how's the rest of your hormone and your lipid panel look? everything with that will tell the story....

4. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Sally, not only she did not do that, but when I brought all my results to an endocrinologist - guess what, neither did he....

5. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Thanks Gretchen. I will gather that info....

6. Tanya

Tanya Gold

So, I am back with what I found. Unfortunately, not that much...

They were testing TSH mostly and the number varied but was always high (useless.....)

There was a Lipid profile test done at the time as the thyroid one that I posted above:

Triglycerides 42 (35-135)
    Cholesterol 197 (0-200)
    HDL 71 (37-92)
    LDL 118 (50-130)

Also, my progesterone was 41 (23-100)

I do have another thyroid panel test done, and this one is even older and from a different lab, but here it is anyway, just in case.

T3, free 220 (230-420)
    T3, total 118 (97-219)
    T3, Reverse 18 (11-32)
    TSH, 3rd generation 7.90 (0.40-4.50)
    Thyroid antibodies panel - negative

All oof these tests were done prior on me embarking on Paleo Rx, and while I was heavily into all kinds of goitrogens in my diet, especially soy and flax, and low on iodine.....

7. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Hi Gretchen. What I added on later gives better understanding or is it still not enough to figure it out?

8. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

It helps but its better to have tests from the same day... the old labs just confirm you have Hypothryoidism...

9. Jude

Jude Gold

Your ASI is low....are you doing all the Light protocols? early am sunlight in eyes, no blue light at night etc? How's your emf exposure?

10. Tanya

Tanya Gold

jude, that test is a bit old - it was done before I began Epi-Paleo Rx. I've made some changes since then, including the things that you mentioned. Thank you for your input, though:)

11. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Got it. Thanks, Gretchen.

12. kovita

kovita Gold

Hi Eniko,

how long have yo been on keto diet? How was your ketogenic diet? Fish and seafood based, seasonal...? If i understand well you are concerned about insulin resistance. It is normal physiological reaction to the lack of carbs in the diet, that carb metabolism is depressed (including insulin production). Physiological insulin resistence on low carb diet is normal and expected. it may be difficulti to explain thi to your doctor, but unless he is complete moron he should accept it. You would not normally pass the oral glucose load test unless you get prepared with few days of cRb loading (some people might need weeks to regain the insulin resistance expected to see in carb burners). Thyroid hormones might get on lower levels on ketodiet as well, but I would suggest epipaleo with loads of fish and seafood would not cause this long term. The data given by JK are valid for everyone, those the values to target.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2019
    rlee314 likes this.
  13. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I stopped taking armour thyroid a month ago. A few days ago, however, I noticed a strange sensation while in my throat while drinking cold water. It felt like I had an enlargement in there. I realized that for the previous week I hadn't had much raw seafood, relying on sardines and tuna, and skipping some days. (I was out of town and not near my seafood source.) So I got some pronto, since my body was obviously calling for more iodine. Two days (and 3 dozen oysters later) the sensation went away. It will be a long time before I forget to buy my oysters before leaving town again! No, I didn't even consider taking Lugols.

Daily sardines/tuna just doesn't have the charm it used to. Daily oysters is easy, though. I think one reason Jack recommends them is because in some areas, like where I am, oysters are the only seafood you can get raw and never frozen.

Oh, and about a week after taking my last thyroid pill, I went to the doc for more labs. I expected my TSH to shoot up, but it was ok. And the others, T3/free T3, T4/free T4, and reverse T3 were ok. Interesting. I kept the rest of my pills, but if I have any issues, I'll just up the seafood again. It appears to be the only medicine I need.

Danny, kovita and rlee314 like this.
  14. melrito

melrito Gold

Nonchalant, it generally takes several weeks (or longer) before the thyroid hormone levels change after stopping thyroid replacement such as Armour (if they are going to change). When I stopped, it took 6 weeks before my levels changed.

nonchalant likes this.
  15. AJT

AJT New Member

the thyroid medicine is your iodine replacement, once its used up you begin to have iodine deficiency issues.

16. kovita

kovita Gold

your doc is right about glukagon and insulin being secreted and present, what is he missing is the part about timing. If your body expected carbs, the insulin will be released while chewing already and if your body expects fat it will get released in minimal amount much later in the digestion process and mainly in the night, when we are designed to be ketogenic by default. If you have regulary longterm 15g of carbs a day and you receive 75g of pure glucose first thing in the morning, you have no chance to react "on time as per the tables". Because the normality is being defined by peolle who ingest 300g plus carbs a day. You need first grade for this mathematics ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2019