1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Is the scale the right measurement for success

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by diane, Mar 4, 2013.

1. diane

diane Gold

I think that most people evaluate the success of what they're doing mainly by the numbers on the scale. If they lose weight, it's successful, if they don't it's not. And people then watching others will evaluate by asking "how much weight did you lose".

I'm not saying that losing body fat isn't important for health, but we here know that having body fat isn't the only sign that people are sick.

I've kinda given up looking at the scale, yet I think it can play a role in giving feedback and showing overall progress. I just don't think that it's the only measurement people should rely on, which is what our society seems to do now.

I also wonder when people here report that they haven't lost weight, does that give new people the impression that all of this doesn't work? I'm not criticizing as I know that people are reporting - my comment is more around the external factor of using weight as THE measure of success.

What is/are the right ones? Does it change by person? Is it labs, or how you feel? Is it the ability to meet your life's goals with energy and passion? What is the role of the scale in measuring success?

I've clearly been thinking about this a while lol.

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

The only time I step on a scale these days is when I go into the dr's for a discussion on my labs. that's it. I've stopped worrying about my weight. for me the best indicator is how my "skinny" clothes fit. suddenly I'm back into all my pre-pregnancy business clothes. I call that a win... I no longer care about weight b/c its not a true measurement of health. yes I want my belly fat to go away - and it will but not until I get everything else right first.
    I'm seeing changes. I think its going to be individual. but that's me.

3. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I think this is just one more area where we, as a society, are completely misguided. I am not over or underweight and most would probably assume I'm perfectly healthy. I know this to be completely untrue. In fact, I would go so far as to say there are many overweight people who are probably healthier than I am based on labs, energy levels, etc.

I'd love to say I never focus on my weight, but if I feel my clothes getting a bit tight I still have that shallow side of me that gets upset. I'd like to say it's because I'm concerned about my health, and that is partly true, but there's also that whole vanity thing too! I can, however, honestly say that I very rarely know my weight. From day one, I refused to have a scale in my house and still don't. The only time I'm ever weighed is in a doctor's office and these days that is a very rare occurrence.

4. jenaf

jenaf Silver

I definitely think the scale is used too much as a measurement of success, its a tool, to basically measure symptoms... same as journaling how many hours of sleep you get per night, how many times you wake up etc. I think the labs should be the gold standard for measurement of success. They will tell you if your body is becoming healthy again. Last year, eating paleo I lost 3 dress sizes, and gained muscle training for a hard core kettlebell certification but I didn't loose any weight on the scale. I also ruined my health so much (already being in adrenal fatigue and not realizing it) the doctors thought i had a hole in my heart, or some weird metabolic condition. Now being fairly strict epi-paleo, doing the leptin rx, sleep rx, mitochondrial rx, swimming in the ocean 2-3x week, starting to drink lots of spring water and cutting down my EMF exposure I have not lost any weight on the scale, but my sleep is much much better, and so are my energy levels.

I too dont have a scale at home :)

5. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

The scale is a lousy measure of success but if you've been addicted to it for decades, as I have, it's very very difficult to let go of it. I've written before about how hard it is for me to not slip back into old ways of thinking and doing (eat less and you'll lose weight; weigh every day because you have to watch that scale; I hate myself because I'm fat which really means "you're a lazy big fat slob" which I know isn't true but emotionally -- forget it).

It's hard when you are broken, and the only outward measure is your big fat ass, to recognize that something else needs fixing and that sooner or later (if you stay the course) it will correct ITSELF without any interference, re: help, from you. Fixing what's broken is akin to what Jack has been talking about in the EMF blogs. You cannot SEE it (unless you constantly test test test which most of us cannot afford to do) so it must be the CW at work. i.e. you eat too much and are a lazy assed slug.

This is my struggle with the scale. Intellectually I know it's horse shit. Emotionally it's a whole 'nother ballgame.

6. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I recently pulled out the scale to document my weight, as a benchmark. Then I realized it was a body fat scale, and it sends a small voltage through my body. This is probably not a Kruse-recommended type of scale. I need to bring my old spring scale back from long-term storage (garage).

7. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

I have a similar type and it only does it when you step on the surface with damp feet so I'm not gonna worry about it.

8. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

If I waited for everything to get right first, I would have never lost my belly fat. And, I can say there is still much wrong with me but I am working on it the best way I can.

9. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

I think the scale is one measurement but not one everyone needs to use. We all can decide if it is appropriate for our context. I was crazy addicted to it in the beginning but now have relaxed that my energy has come back and I feel better. I use it now only when I feel something is going on and I need to document a weight change. I use it as my measurement for estrogen being stored in my body in a negative way. But that is for my context and only through my own trial and error have I discovered that works. But there could be other things going on as well.

10. diane

diane Gold

Patty - that's what I was thinking in terms of how it could be useful to note changes and give feedback, rather than a "pass or fail"measurement. I would think that increases in the scale can also show dehydration/water retention as well.