1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Is the PG&E shutdown in the event of strong winds EMF related?

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Katie Durham, Oct 9, 2019.

1. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Just survive the dip, the better time is coming.
    Image-26.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    mrc likes this.
  2. Bob Stirling

Bob Stirling New Member

mrc likes this.
  3. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

mrc likes this.
  4. drezy

drezy Gold

They have been for a while:
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...t-america-moves-homeless-people-country-study

mrc likes this.
  5. DLO

DLO StarFish

They spent all their money on solar panels and wind generation. Word is by next year any new house in Cali must have solar panels.
    Funny people wire into the grid and have no storage of said solar panels to power themselves now that the grid down.
    Record sales of generators to power their electric cars. LOL

6. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

If those solar panels are associated with an on-site inverter, the dirty electricity will be through the roof!

ElectricUniverse likes this.
  7. Saichi

Saichi New Member

How much approximately?

8. mrc

mrc Silver

I recommend keeping up to date via Deborah Tavares on youtube as she's a local & has been through years of fires, working with the fire captain & rescuing locals

Katie Durham likes this.
  9. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

I don't think I have ever seen numbers. Maybe "through the roof" is overstating it, but I have consistently read that the conversion from DC to AC is very dirty. I don't want that in my home. Perhaps using panels to run just DC equipment is ok.

Marius and mrc like this.
  10. Saichi

Saichi New Member

My friend got a portable setup during the last blackout, I'll take my meter next time I'm there.

11. Bob Stirling

Bob Stirling New Member

I am interested in this also, I would like something for a cabin and/or travel trailer. The trailer has a hookup for a panel but no inverter.

12. drezy

drezy Gold

Wha electric appliances are in the trailer?

13. Bob Stirling

Bob Stirling New Member

The appliances are propane so all is good there.

It would be good to power the satellite modem, charge the computer and FM handheld radios without running the generator. Also to run plug in lighting, low blue and red bulbs. The 12V lights are LED, possibly a few warm halogen could be used there.

14. drezy

drezy Gold

PM me if you'd like concrete ideas.

15. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

Yes, true that.

Solar PV inverters are said to induce really high levels of dirty electricity in household. I don't have a solar panel setup but I would be extremely careful about the resulting harmful EMF if I did. These virtue-signaling 'green folks' think PV solar power is an unqualified positive for people and environment-- it is not.

There are solutions to the EMF problem, however. I don't know if they would be everyone's cup of tea, though.

1. Skip the inverter and run everything in the household off DC power (direct from solar panels). You can buy DC-powered appliances, lights, etc-- there is already a market for them in RVs, etc. I think you would have to possibly rewire building specifically for DC, unless I am mistaken. Big $$$ potentially.

2. Install a very specialized EMF filter into your solar inverter. These are reported to filter out harmful EMF before electricity flows into house. They tend to be expensive and you probably should be an electrician (or hire one) to accomplish this.

kim johnson and mrc like this.
  16. Bob Stirling

Bob Stirling New Member

Lots to learn about filtering. I'll ask about it when looking for an inverter and panels.
    https://www.digikey.com/en/articles...o-power-inverters-for-solar-energy-harvesting