1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

IRIS Software

Discussion in 'Mitochondrial Rx' started by Sean Waters, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Sean Waters

Sean Waters New Member

Considering I'm using a PC everyday, with IRIS on 0 kelvin or "sleep" mode.... why is it that the screen still has blue in it?... if you use IRIS at night, and you look at the laptop from the side, it is an Icey Blue glow! Especially compared to my Red Light.

Maybe I don't understand how Screens work, but to me it seems like a lie because I still get symptoms of blue light toxicity when using it, such as Red eyes, twitching, irritability and low mood. I get a lot less than normal, but I would imagine 0 Kelvin = you cannot see a single thing on the screen, so there has to be blue light in it still, so it is just a marketing gimmick for the app to say "0 kelvin"? Does anyone have a spectrometer to test it? or has anyone tested it?

It makes a big difference between regular screen blue light, so I always use it, but I think we need to be aware of what the spectrum is so we can re-align our use of technology to our n=1. It may not be as "okay" as we think it is, as a community, and we may be complacent in our use of tech and thinking we are doing everything possible while this issue undercuts our gains.

Alex97232, EWO and Desert.life like this.
  2. Richard Watson

Richard Watson New Member

I run Ubuntu and tried to install IRIS a week ago, loaded fine but cant seem to open it, maybe just as well then.

EWO likes this.
  3. Penny

Penny New Member

I tried to install in on a Rasberry Pi running Linux and it was a fail - I wrote to the guy and don't remember what he said - I think it was there were so many versions of Linux, he couldn't make it work for them but don't know -

EWO and Richard Watson like this.
  4. Dan2

Dan2 Pedantic schlub

Putting red acrylic over the screen to make it darker red than with only software

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/rubylith-masking-film.25397/#post-293855

@Sean Waters I know what you mean about the blue light coming off the screen at night even though the settings are to show only red. If you put one layer of red acrylic plastic over it, that makes the front of the monitor about the same color as an opaque red-coated lightbulb. I got it at an art supplies store.

@Richard Watson @Penny @Christine Renner
    Iris troubleshooting forum

https://github.com/iris-technologies/iris-user-issues/issues?q=is:issue+is:eek:pen+sort:created-desc

Program similar to Iris for old operating systems

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...s-if-you-have-an-older-version-of-os-x.24440/

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  5. Alex97232

Alex97232 Gold

6. Richard Watson

Richard Watson New Member

I'm not overly worried about not being able to load IRIS as I use what was a prototype pair of glasses that are a very deep red colour, so red that I see no other colour but red. Great for driving apart from when you come up to a set of traffic lights, cant see the stop light at all.

7. Desert.life

Desert.life New Member

8. Desert.life

Desert.life New Member

Let us know how they work if you do order. I plan on ordering as well for my pc monitor, to see how they work etc.

EWO likes this.
  9. Sean Waters

Sean Waters New Member

Yeah lowbluelights.com also sells this stuff https://lowbluelights.com/product/imac-blue-light-filter-acrylic/ .... I think I am going to have to purchase some or some similar acrylic plastic.

It's definitely not safe. I even heard Jack remark to a member on the last QA that it's not at all safe for children to use iPads even if it has IRIS.

Tanya and EWO like this.
  10. Sean Waters

Sean Waters New Member

[​IMG]

Here is the spectrum that comes through the acrylics, from their website linked above. Do we have any similar graphs for IRIS? Or perhaps it varies depending on the Computer Screen/ Display?

My need for DHA is really high right now, and as I have quit using a smartphone to less than an hour per month, my only risk is coming from the Laptop.

John Schumacher likes this.
  11. Tanya

Tanya Gold

I got mine from lowbluelights several years ago. At that time they hardly kept it in stock - I had to wait a long time before I could finally order it. I like it very much and it is convenient to use. All I have to do is pick it up and move it away from the screen if there is ever a need for me to do so.

John Schumacher likes this.
  12. Penny

Penny New Member

And then no one here is talking about the flicker effect... you might want to try Ben Q monitors - they purport to take care of the flicker in hardware - flicker ages your eyes and therefore your brain at an exponential rate... eat lots of seafood folks:) Remember it activates the nrf2 antioxidant pathway that gets rid of *lots* of inflammation...

13. Sean Waters

Sean Waters New Member

Noone is talking about Flicker because IRIS apparently removes all of it in their software. But, this is the reason I've dropped my smartphone use.

EWO likes this.
  14. Penny

Penny New Member

right - but the original question in this thread is that IRIS won't work on Linux...

15. Dan2

Dan2 Pedantic schlub

"Yeah lowbluelights.com also sells this stuff https://lowbluelights.com/product/imac-blue-light-filter-acrylic/ .... I think I am going to have to purchase some or some similar acrylic plastic."

That says $99. I don't know about a spectragraph of what gets through generic art supply store acrylic compared to that, but you might be able to get different shades of red and maybe a dark one would be as good as the expensive one. If I'm thinking of what you're talking about, it's a glow that doesn't get dimmer as the screen is dimmed, and it's a greyish-blue? Which means you can more easily see it when the screen is dimmed and there's only dim reddish light in the room. I have an 11W opaque red lightbulb on at night (https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/lightbulbs-and-kids.25020/#post-291383) and if I dim the screen with Iris to say 15%, and I have just this 11W red bulb on several feet away, I can still see the glow through the acrylic a little, but it's dimmed by the acrylic and doesn't feel stimulatingly bright to my eyes even though it's color is still greyish-blue. Maybe that sounds like okay then the acrylic isn't doing enough. But a small candle flame puts out a lot more light between orange and blue than the monitor surface glow through the cheap medium-red acrylic does. I don't know what makes the monitor surface glow so I don't know if you might need a dark shade of red or more than one layer for some monitors.

The art store acrylic cost me about $3 for enough to cover a 17" monitor. I cut it with scissors and taped it on and keep it on. If you make a clip-on panel to put on and off the monitor, if you put the acrylic positioned on the panel so it's as close to the screen as it can get, it might get close enough for there to not be glares, blurriness etc. I haven't tried a badly made clip-on panel that has some space between.

_____

"And then no one here is talking about the flicker effect... you might want to try Ben Q monitors - they purport to take care of the flicker in hardware - flicker ages your eyes and therefore your brain at an exponential rate..."

If the monitor is set to 100% brightness on its hardware settings, and Iris is being used, is there still a flicker that's different from the refresh rate of the monitor?

The refresh rate can be adjusted on some monitors to frequencies that can be beneficial:

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...ot-a-disease-damn-it.25242/page-9#post-294530

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...ot-a-disease-damn-it.25242/page-9#post-294593

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  16. Dan2

Dan2 Pedantic schlub

I got it to work on a desktop with Linux Mint. I have to use an older version -- version 0.9.2.2 -- and open the file called "Iris-0.9.2.2.AppImage" (included in the folder when it's downloaded) to start it.

17. Daulatwant

Daulatwant Kipras

Sean Waters likes this.
  18. Desert.life

Desert.life New Member

Yeah, I have iris on my pc, and it doesn't eliminate the flicker on my monitor. Took a phone and made a video and could still see the flickering :(

Sean Waters likes this.
  19. Sean Waters

Sean Waters New Member

Right!! so it's the back light that is the source of the blue light. Appreciate the comment, now I have some clarity.

and @Desert.life - that does not surprise me! So, it's all one big pile of BS then.... Acrylic sheets being the way forward, or these Ben Q monitors that @Penny suggested. But really, the point comes back to this - Technology is not safe, at all.

@Richard Watson - your eyes are protected by your glasses, but not from the Flicker, and also the skin on your face contains all the Melanopsin entraining your Circadian rhythms too, so no, you aren't protected!!.... this is why I asked the question, my Symptoms were flagging a big issue with IRIS, but I needed to know if it was my Computer specifically or actually IRIS itself.

So glad we have identified this. Thank you everyone.

that we believe to be safe, that is actually silently destroying us.

Richard Watson likes this.
  20. Daulatwant

Daulatwant Kipras

The backlight can be replaced with any light source you have access to that is bright enough. Eve the sun can light up an lcd display.

Step 1 - remove lcd backlight like so

[​IMG][​IMG]

Step 2 - make a wide black border around the display so it does not get blown out by too much brightness of daylight
    upload_2021-8-13_21-9-42.png

Step 3 - point the back of the monitor at the sun and you have a monitor that is backlit by the sun

This will work even on cloudy days. Maybe even better so.

I bought this old monitor for 5$
    It was quite easy to take apart, since it's old it was made to be taken apart so that is something to keep in mind. New monitors may be a challenge to do the same with.
    Rotated the lcd upside down to expose the backlight due to the limited length of the cables attached to it. Used a drill, some scrap wood, screws and bolts to attach it in this new position and voila.

Or throw one of these in the back as backlight
    upload_2021-8-13_21-44-18.png

If you are handy with soldering and electronics then you could take apart an led monitor, replace the white led inside with red led and make it look like a totally normal monitor on the outside.

John Schumacher and Dan2 like this.