1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Iodine -

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by Aggie, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Aggie

Aggie Banned

iodine in supplement form is tied to a salt. If I remember correctly Jack said don't take anything attached to a salt - it alters EZ. Furthermore, most people are unable to break the double bond & be able to utilize supplemental iodine. In addition, you must make sure to have the two vitamins required for organification of iodine on board. I would it would seem as though it's better to take atomic iodine bound to glycerin? I've only been able to find one source from Germany to provide this.

Dr Flechas, MD has a great presentation on iodine.

Did you know most iodine supplements come from old oil wells in Texas? ick!

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

You are human........you are designed to get iodine from the sea. If you do it any other way........new emergent problems in you will manifest.

Josie Thomson and Danny like this.
  3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

See Brain gut 3-5. Especially 5.

Danny likes this.
  4. Gracelind

Gracelind New Member

Two years ago I started taking Lugol's with the protocol including selenium and Vit C (at a different time of day) as for several decades we had removed most salt from table and cooking. Worked up to about 10 mg/day for about a week. Shortly I discovered a marble-sized lump on my neck--stopped the iodine. Thyroid scan showed multi-nodular goiter, with about 6 nodules, most small but several good sized.

Started eating more seafood a'la Epi-paleo. The lump was getting smaller but still there. One weekend was especially shrimp/seafood intensive. Not for any reason--just happened that way. On Monday the lump was completely gone and hasn't returned. Can I attribute that to natural sources of iodine in the shrimp and fish? Not wanting extra exposure to radiation, I haven't had a follow-up scan but clearly the nodules have reduced in size if they still exist at all.

One experience of non-natural supplementation vs natural source seafood.

Danny likes this.
  5. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

This reminds me of a question that I asked earlier this year, which still isn't totally answered in my mind today -- http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/combining-supplements-with-natural-food.9313/

Basically, what's the implication of doing concurrent natural source seafood with non-natural supplementation?

For example, what would happen to the body's ability to utilise iodine if I say put 10 drops of Lugols into a seaweed soup? Would the iodine become more bio-available and cause less problematic side-effects? My gut sense says "Yes, but only to a small degree".

===

Very interesting experience Gracelind. Thanks for sharing!

Personally, I've seen no issues yet with anywhere from 20-40mg of iodine via Lugol's. I've also been taking it exclusively via that seaweed soup idea I mentioned above.

cantweight likes this.
  6. Albert83BCN

Albert83BCN New Member

There's a certain podcast that Jack did as a guest, I can't recall exactly which it was, that talked about this idea of combining food with supplements, and put an example with glutamine and bone broth. The takeaway message was something in the lines that is always better to get the nutrients from food but, if you're going to have them, will be a good idea to mix them with their expected natural sources, so I think your sense is quite right. Although I bet it will apply to certain nutrients more than others... in the case of iodine? no idea.

BTW, I found that podcast very cool, if I get to remember which it was I'll tell you, maybe someone else can point you to it, or maybe you already heard it.

cantweight likes this.
  7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

^^^^You'll find out why I said in April 2014 webinar.

8. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Bone broth is just a part of my entire meal. Combining glutamine with it would certainly make it easier for me to use it, but I believe that glutamine needs to be taken on an empty stomach. So, if anybody knows which podcast Albert referring to, or specifically has the answer to my question - please help:confused:

9. i think that was on an underground wellness podcast, or a ben greenfield one

Tanya likes this.
  10. Tanya

Tanya Gold

Thank you, Josh!:)

11. caroline

caroline Moderator

When I was supplementing iodine .....my TSH was crazy high ...... I have stopped and my TSH is way down...

Danny likes this.
  12. Inger

Inger Silver

I am starting to get pretty careful about supplements.. if not really followed up with many labs all the time (most cant do this..) i sense Jack is hinting stuff to us too.. if we want to listen

It is a bit like a shortcut to heaven....... instead of taking it in food.. because that is what most not do....

Like drugs, they are a shortcut to heaven too. People using them do not want to walk the steps.. maybe painful but the shortcut will be way more painful in the end hen the real way walked with its stoniness and pain and all will evolve into something real beautiful

I am not saying supps can never be good... I do believe they can. But I seriously think it is not as easy as we tend to believe. After all... they are pretty unnatural..

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

Inger - are you still doing Iodine?

I honestly don't know everyone is affording all the supplements that they take - I just simply couldn't....

14. Inger

Inger Silver

No Audrey.. I sometimes paint with it. But I am going to be careful, I have followed a bit on the yahoo iodine group too and the whole issue is not so clear to me.

A voice deep in me says to always go with the real thing if only possible... and it is possible :)

Sometimes Audrey... I get the feeling it can be a blessing to be poor..... ;)

Danny likes this.
  15. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Same feeling about supplements even though I ordered D3 and K2 from the States. I think they can only ever be a a short term bio hack to allow you to see what needs fixing .
    I stopped iodine as it simply was too expensive to maintain the routine .Occasionally I will have a drop in food when the food already has iodine lets say egg pairing it with a selenium rich food though.

16. Tanya

Tanya Gold

I also agree with everything that you guys are saying here.... Unfortunately, I am still among the ones that continue taking way to many supplements....even though I have already cut it down so much.... Iodine was never among them....
    My goal is to eventually eliminate almost all of them. I can't just go as they say "cold turkey" and need to do it gradually.... The other problem that I see is that at the same time I need to continue avoiding foods that supply some of these nutrients for you: eggs, nuts, etc.

caroline and Shijin13 like this.
  17. persistence

persistence New Member

Phenomenal question, but how can anyone answer that? It requires double blind studies to quantify any effects. For some nutrients, you would think the nutrient needs to be in some ratio to the other chemicals that might support its bioavailability.

Common sense tells you nutrients from food probably have more bioavailability than supplements in isolation, because the foods probably have hundreds or thousands of other chemicals not documented or understood by our primitive understanding of nutrition. "The Wahls Protocol" by Dr Terry Wahls documents how supplements alone did little to improve her health, but only when she researched which foods contained the required supplements and added those in large quantities did "the magic start to happen."

The problem with iodine specifically is that you don't have any reliable measure for quantity contained in - for example - seaweed. The amounts contained can vary enormously. Seaweed also binds to many toxic minerals including radioactive iodine. After the Japanese disaster that becomes a non trivial consideration.... Iodine is one of the few supplements that Perfect Health Diet recommends getting as a supplement, but they recommend fairly small doses (around 1mg / day).

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  18. persistence

persistence New Member

I agree with the philosophy in general. It's so hard to understand the proper balance between things and so easy to get your system out of balance. I still supplement, but I try to limit to things with low toxicity at levels that are proven to have high benefit. Vitamin D and K are no brainers.

I have my doubts about Iodine, but it's having such a remarkable effect on me I probably need to find a doctor to monitor me and let me try it out for a few months.

19. Ken23

Ken23 New Member

I tried iodoral iodine with the proper co factors and turned ice cold after a month and a half of supplementing. I side with the oyster route

Danny and caroline like this.
  20. Danny

Danny New Member

I had nervous system side effects from supplementing too much iodine.