1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Introduction - Student-Athlete UCLA. Trying to Live My Best Life!

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Erik Holt, Dec 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Erik Holt

Erik Holt New Member

Hello everyone!

My name is Erik Holt. I am a 22 year old student-athlete at UCLA and currently finishing up my last soccer season this fall. I was born and raised in San Diego, CA up until I moved to Arizona at 16 to pursue further development of my soccer career. From a young age, I have always been fascinated by health and fitness. I continue to look for new information and studies to both further my goals both on and off the field. I enjoy listening to The Ben Greenfield Fitness Podcast because of the relation it has with achieving high athletic performance as well as other health advise. However; about two years ago, my dad was on Youtube and found a video by Jack Kruse. He sent it over to me and I was blown away by all his information and context. Over the last two years, I have listened to just about every Youtube Video and Podcast that I could get my hands on to learn more and more about the topics Jack discusses. I have also read some of the books he has mentioned within the Vermont Conferences like EPI - PAELO RX and others. I have truly been blown away by the material, science, evidence and people who Jack has discussed and put fourth through all his content. I have finally decided to take the first step and join his tribe in order to further my development.
    I thought I'd mention my routine below in order to gain advice about how I can improve as well as fix anything that may need to be adjusted. I live on the 9th floor of a Dorm here at UCLA where Wifi and other devices are prominent on campus. In addition, you could only imagine all of the negative environmental factors that Jack has mentioned within my living situation here in LA. Here below are the following things I do with my day.
    - 20-30 minutes of Sauna
    - Get outside in the morning barefoot with my shirt off; around 20 minutes looking near the sun.
    - Drink Mountain Spring Water as much as possible; or at least good alkaline water.
    - Cold Thermogenesis: since it is "Winter" in LA, I get to the ocean 3x a week and go in for about 15-20 minutes. Otherwise, I use an ice bath here at school that the student athletes have for recovery. In addition, I also take 3 minute cold showers at least once a day.
    - I use blue blocking glasses as much as possible when using computers, at class, and whenever the sun goes down. I also have a protecter shield to block some EMF from my computer.
    - I train from 11-2 everyday and live in LA so I am able to get Vitamin D year around.

Here are just a few things off the top of my head that I do. I try to be highly aware of my environment as well as the environment that I ideally want to be in. I want to learn as much as I can about everyone's routines and experiences in order to optimize my life and share this with others.

My main question as I finish college with an International Relations degree is how do I transition into a health related field. I want to go back to school if I end up not pursing professional soccer and pursue something that will allow me to become knowledgeable about the topics that Jack Kruse talks about. I'm just trying to find out where to start. I look forward to any responses and advice- thank you!

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Welcome. UCLA on the 9th floor yikes.

Transition into healthcare is easier today than ever with the lack of degrees being pushed in functional medicine.