1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Interpreting raw data 23and me

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Dali Dula, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

I have received my raw data and geneology info from 23and me. Man am I white. I thought there might be some African or Native American in the mix, but no except for some Neanderthal and a bit of Ashkenazi I am all European. Anyway, does anyone know how to get started with the raw data for health?

2. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

One of the best programs is through Sterling's app on MTHFR support. You buy the program, upload your date and get a very good selection of snps pertaining to detox, methylation, allergies etc.

I don't know of any quick way of extracting info. for a lot of the disease risks that they used to include. It there were particular ones you were interested in, somebody could probably tell you the specific gene or genes they looked at. Then you could plug in that to your raw data and see what comes up. I didn't print mine out before they changed the site, so I'm in the same boat.

3. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

This always sounds interesting -- wish we had one in this country.

According to the Caveman Doctor the Federal government in the U.S. seems to be trying to shut 23andme down, though it's not clear what they have against it. IIRC, it was privacy concerns that they kept throwing at its procedures, though there's nothing about the procedures that should trigger that, as they're pretty much the same as everyone else's -- and at this late stage ...

4. nicld

nicld Gold

I am 99.2% northern European, .5% southern European and .3% not assigned. I was hoping for a little more variation too but knowing that my great grandparents on my fathers side were from Germany it is no shock that I was 14.2% German/French.

The Sterling app works great but it is still alot of data to go through.

5. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

6. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I imagine some crony owns a competing business, Mike.

7. Embyr42

Embyr42 New Member

I have a spreadsheet that you can put the data that you ran through sterling's app (or just type in from your 23 and me raw data if you want) and I've listed many of what the gene mutations relate to off to the side.
    If you PM me I'll send it to you. Anything missing can easily be looked up on snpedia.com. Prometheus is another good tool to run your results through and get some interpretation. It interprets things sterling doesn't look at that are intriguing.

8. Gracelind

Gracelind New Member

For ancestry upload your raw 23 and Me data in txt format at http://Gedmatch.com. It runs your info past more detailed databases and produces pretty chromosome paintings, among other things.

Also, look at Stanford Interpretome: http://www.interpretome.com/