1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Interested in skype/chat with other members here?

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by jeanie@truelongmont.com, Sep 21, 2012.

1. ealachan

ealachan New Member

operative word there is "smart". Sometimes I fall short in that category.

2. I'm sure there will be plenty of CO oil to soothe chapped arses!

3. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I'd like to put three things out for discussion re: upcoming group chat/modern campfire calls:

1) As others have stated, let's try to find a time when it's daylight for most everyone. When I do consults with Dr Kruse it is usually mid morning here and early afternoon there. Are there folks from Europe trying to get on these calls? That will add another dimension. But perhaps we can alternate times. Something like a Saturday afternoon for the US folks maybe?

2) I would like to encourage everyone to take a turn on camera who isn't feeling too shy to do this. I realise some do not want to be on camera at all and that's totally OK. At the same time, I think there are some who would be OK with being on camera but don't necessarily feel they have something 'special' to say. What encouraged me to get on camera (all I did was ask a question!) was how lovely it was to connect with the faces of others. I'd love to meet more of you that way.

3) I know in advance of our last call many people submitted ideas/topics/questions they wanted addressed. I'm really keen to hear the opinions of others, but I'd like to make sure these things are prioritised while also being flexible with our time (and making sure we can joke around -like Cavemam, this aspect is the most appealing part to me... I like connecting with you all in a way that isn't all about serious stuff and heavy thinking). I think we are all going to default to listening to whatever Dr Kruse has to say and I always gain so much from him. With these calls, I want to equally hear from everyone else, too. When Dr Kruse is there I totally want him to be answering our questions (if he's OK with that), but I want the content to be driven by the whole group (some of which was submitted in advance), not just by what's on Dr Kruse's mind. I hope that doesn't sound ungrateful. I am aiming to have something different here with these calls, something that is both social and learning. Does that make sense?

Please feel free to disagree. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts.

4. Hi Lauren,

I love that....I totally love the social/fun piece of it (though I'm still so new) too....though I also crave the learning too :)

It'd be great to do this regular indeed...that way eventually everyone's wishes for a topic could be fulfilled.

5. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

U.S. noon is Europe 8pm is New Zealand 7am

if I figured this correctly. Someone's going to have to get up early to be BABed and ready to flash on camera :) The Europeans will get their light cycles screwed though.

6. REALLY early to be optimal w/ BOB AND BAB before 7!!

7. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

+1000 here. Love the idea of a Saturday afternoon for US folks and the combo of a social/learning purpose. I'm learning that this lifestyle can be extremely isolating and even though online chatting is much different than real life, it's still so encouraging and helpful to have a supportive community that "gets" your weird ways!

8. kzimm

kzimm New Member

Thanks for organizing! Hoping to attend if you have future meet-ups. I'm right down the road from you if you have the campfire. I'll bring kippers instead of marshmallows.

9. Perhaps we could rotate the times.....so we all sacrifice something equally...

10. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I also really enjoyed seeing the faces on camera and encourage more of us to do that. It add another dimension to all the forum talk we do. I also like KL's ideas about trying to follow a set of questions submitted in advance while being flexible to accommodate what comes up during the live call.

11. Jude

Jude Gold

Would like to join in as well, second KL suggestions. I don't mind an early rise-we in the southern Hemisphere, somehow, are used to it!!

12. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I like the idea of a meet-up too! Probably impractical for most of us though. Colorado in the summer is a real draw...I'd try to make it. I could also visit my cousins in Longmont, so there's extra incentive.

I can see two major results from these chats. One is the support and camaraderie formed when friends get together to talk. It's really nice to be able to put a face on the people who post at the forum. Also, the support is great. It is wonderful to be able to discuss the details (humor and frustrations) of this lifestyle with people who really get it!

The second result could be enhancing our understanding of the science behind the epi-paleo lifestyle. I have a suggestion about this. If you have a question, be willing to come on screen and discuss it. Also, do your homework first. If you have a question about metformin (for example), research metformin. Understand how it functions in the body and what biochemical pathways it affects. You may answer your own question that way, but if not, you will be prepared to discuss the details in a meaningful way.

I like the idea of submitting general topics in advance...that way we can all do our homework! Also, I noticed that when Jack joined us, the energy of the chat changed, people were more reluctant to speak. That's understandable, since we are all a little in awe of Dr. K, but I would still like to see the chat be a discussion among us all. So maybe we could all look at where that feeling comes from and work to reduce it.

13. kathylu

kathylu Gold

This is probably not the right place to post this, but I complained (again!) about my trouble with cycloset and nausea. Gretchen suggested that I try to eat more fat at breakfast and Dr. K seconded that. It's funny, but that hadn't occurred to me, I was actually reducing the fat in my diet because of the nausea (it just didn't appeal to me). Anyway, I did an about-face and started to eat a seafood meal drenched in paleo mayo (olive oil) and sure enough, it helped! I guess sometimes we have to get out of our own way.

14. I'm glad you had relief! Fireside time CAN be useful. Win!

15. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I love this idea of researching the things we have questions on. it fits nicely in the question everything... and it builds upon our own educational understanding, and will help us in engaging our PCPs as we argue for the treatment necessary for us to get to optimal health...

16. I'm loving all this feedback on the chat! I hope everyone feels comfortable saying what they think here. Please do it, even if you are uncomfortable!!

I think one of the things sub-optimal in our world today is people don't seem to be able to communicate and disagree and offer/take/reject others opinions and feedback in a respectful manner that allows for real connection.

The strength of any community and relationship is how they handle disagreement. On the internets this usually ends in a flame-war situation, so I'm excited that we seem to be on the right path.

So please offer your opinion and feelings - we won't all be agreeing with you. we will have different opinions - and I think we can navigate those things and get past them.

17. curves64

curves64 Silver

I am salivating at the chance to have regular "in person" discussions. I'm a total extrovert so communicating without being able to see, hear, taste and touch you feels unnatural for me. This is the first forum I've ever been remotely attracted to but I feel like I didn't read the rule book, and don't know how to communicate in this way. Most of the time I hang back rather than participate. So, please count me in, and let me know if I can help facilitate in any way. I love the intelligence, compassion and open-mindedness in which you all explore these ideas.

18. How Ironic! Curves, welcome to introvert world! I think by nature of this format, it attracts a ton of introverts and seems odd to extroverts. Now you can take that uncomfortable feeling and have a little connection with the next introvert you are around in person - we are uncomfortable in the "in person"!

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I noticed it too and I no longer will be coming so no worries. I was just curious.

20. curves64

curves64 Silver

You have no idea how hard that lesson has landed. I want to reach out and hug every introvert I meet, but you all probably wouldn't like that -- am I right? LOL. Give me a room full of people any day, and I'll make 10 new friends. Here on the forum, I feel completely vulnerable and uncomfortable. It made me think of my daughter and me. She is an introvert with respect to the way she processes information. I'd want to "talk things over," and she'd want to be left alone to process things by herself. Made my head hurt until I figured out there is no right or wrong. we just approach things from a different perspective.