1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Inspiration for "bring along dinner" needed

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by Andrea, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Inger

Inger Silver

That looks delicious!
    I have made something similar, a salmon tartar. I made up the recipe after I was taken out for dinner at the most exclusive sushi restaurant in Hamburg and ordered their salmon tartare. It was so yummy I had to made it at home. It also had onion and fresh coriander... on the top a thin layer of creme fraiche + topped with salmon roe, it looked like a pastry

I can get the North Sea herring but only salted.. not fresh

The Baltic Sea is polluted, but it is getting better I think. I eat the Baltic herring occasionally, not too often because of the pollution.. When I checked at the websites of the Finnish government about the degree of pollution in our fish, it said Baltic herring was polluted but the benefits of eating them in comparison to the pollutants was greater than 40 times it! So it really looks there are great benefits to eating the Baltic herring despite the pollution...

They are dirt cheap, so when I am short of money I eat them a little more often ;)
    I sometimes make smoothie out of their heads too, they are soft and nice for that

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Honey - that looks so delicious!

I had deep fried crickets today for breakfast! - I will say more in my journal.....

3. Andrea

Andrea What is NOT on the menu?

I played a little this weekend. I marinated some herring filets in ACV, salt, raw onion and coriander seeds (I don't have any brown pepper) for about an hour only. I didn't want them too "well done" and too acidic. I dried them off and removed the skin. Sprinkled meat glue on the meaty sides, put two filets on top of each other and packed firmly into rolls in plastic wrap. Left overnight in the fridge. This morning, for breakfast, I sliced the rolls in about 2 cm thick pieces and removed the plastic wrap. They were very pretty round pieces of fish! Tasted nice, too. :)

Still have some time to play and experiment... Next up will be something more complicated and impressive, and the Shrimp Ceviche that made me drool before...

4. Andrea

Yeah... As much as I would love to eat fried crickets, I'm not sure that would impress on my co-workers. Although it would be pretty fun... :cool:

5. kovita

kovita Gold

i lobe herrings but only can get them frozen or marinated. As per my fish provider these are very seasonal and the season is about to come soon. Other thing he said, is that herring is the most "parazite loaded fish", that applies to the way it is being held already on the fishing boats. They process them on the boat already by freezing, this is done to finish the parazites. I wonder of your herrings are fresh. To my understanding the usual practice makes any hering reaching you to be frozen or thawed.

6. Andrea

I thought they caught herring most of the year, and mackerel was more season bound. But I'm definitely not a fish expert. Just trying to learn, slowly...

But. Ever since I brought home fresh cod once, and when I cut into it and it was moving on the inside :eek:, I don't fancy fresh fish very much... Especially not for eating raw. I buy most of my fish frozen, because it's usually cheaper - and I suppose I would freeze it anyway. Fresh herring costs about twice as much as frozen here. And the frozen one usually comes from the North Sea or the Atlantic, which is a bit more open and, I suppose, less polluted then the local sea.
    I think most people who buy fresh herring here fry it, so I guess they would kill most of the potential parasites.