1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Inspiration for "bring along dinner" needed

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by Andrea, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Andrea

Andrea What is NOT on the menu?

I hope there are some food nerds here...

In a couple weeks, we will have an "after work" event at work. Dinner is included, and from what I've heard, we will get a pasta salad... Rather than trying to explain what I eat and what I don't eat, I will bring my own food.

First, I thought I'd put a heap of shrimps on a plate, some smoked oysters, a chopped avocado and some button mushrooms, and some homemade mayo on top. But... That's sort of boring. Anyone could do that!

Many of my coworkers know that I'm on a weird diet, but since I don't eat lunch they have never seen me eat. They THINK I eat huge amounts of meat and fat. This is my chance to show that I eat good and elegant things. I kinda would like people at my table to stare at my plate and drool. :D

However, there are some limitations:
    - No fresh sea food (there is no fresh sea food available here that specific time of the week). So if I'm to bring seafood, it will have to be from the freezer.
    - I won't be able to do very much more than place my food on a plate at the event site. Practically all preparations need to be made beforehand, at home. This means my food will not be heated. But I will have access to a fridge all day.
    - No dairy whatsoever.
    - The food should, of course, fit within the epi-paleo template.

I don't mind complicated and demanding preparations, as long as I can do it at home and it takes less than 2 weeks. And at home, I have various sorts of fun stuff like a vacuum sealer, a sous vide machine, a smoke gun, meat glue, xanthan gum, etc. :cool:

So, please, give me some inspiration!

2. Inger

Inger Silver

A nice cold plate of graved lax, cold smoked salmon (you have to buy a nice brand, preferably one you slice yourself, the already sliced, prepacked stuff usually tastes horrible) honey-dill-mustard sauce, herrings.. cooked eggs halves topped with peeled shrimps mixed with mayo and some shrimp on the top (the ones in their shell are way better so the peeling work is really worth it) could add some roe to make it super nice looking and tasting

I sometimes make for family those cooked egg halves with shrimp... (to help my dad not get Alzheimers as his mom :oops:) The red or black roe on the top makes it really looking nice, you could put some dill on the top too, and put some lemon slices on the serving plate too :)
    it is going to look very beautiful!

I am pretty sure everyone is going to want your food and not the pasta salad... :D

Another thing I do for preventing my dad from this horrible disease, and they all love it, is:

Baltic herring filets (strömming) about 1 kg
    Salt them slightly and mix and roll and put side by side into a tin

Fry up some chopped onion (1-2) in butter and add organic chopped canned tomatoes. Add some black pepper too and some ACV and maybe 1/2 teaspoon honey and some chili and salt
    it needs to have a nice sweet sour taste, I sometimes add some organic natural ketchup too

let it simmer for a while, maybe 10 minutes

pour it over the herring rolls

put into the oven at 170 degree C for maybe 15 minutes.

Take out and pour some great quality EVOO on the top, maybe 1/2 dl

This is nice eaten cold or warm. My parents often take some of it with them to work for lunch :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  3. Inger

Inger Silver

If there are cheese lovers... you could bring a plate of nice raw milk cheeses...
    Roquefort, Comte.... put it nicely on a plate and add some organic red pepper, cucumber stick, celery sticks...

4. caroline

caroline Moderator

everyone always loves gravlax - as Inger says ...That is what I always take....

Shijin13 likes this.
  5. caroline

caroline Moderator

do you know the website ....nom nom paleo ...she has lots of great recipes and uses a sous vide al lot too.

Shijin13 likes this.
  6. Inger

Inger Silver

I overlooked the no dairy, Rerun, so no cheese, sorry ;)

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

what about sushi????

8. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Running off to work now but a lot of pasta eaters have been entirely convinced by a
    cauliflower and bacon salad. The recipe does call for cheese but you could serve that as a sprinkle on ingredient on the side.
    If you are feeling adventurous you could make a ham on the bone beforehand. They could have bread .
    Instead of chicken you could use pork steaklets. They with bread you with salad or all with salad with this recipe.
    http://www.fatsecret.com/recipes/hot-and-spicy-garlic-chicken-wings/Default.aspx

9. sooperb

sooperb New Member

I'd be so tempted to have two plates, one with cubes of lard and beef fat, fried squares of beef fat and fatty bacon cubes, cooked and chilled with any spare fat dribbled over it. You put that out first and invite anyone to try it. Then you bring out what you really eat, a plate covered in glorious food, avocado, mixed greens, juicy prawns, mayo, beetroot. Make it as colourful and all encompassing as you can. Then watch the realisation on their faces that what you eat isn't weird, it's fresh, tasty, healthy and can be exciting. I wish I'd saved the photos I took of some of my recent salads, they looked and tasted sensational.

Shijin13 and nonchalant like this.
  10. RobH

RobH Gold

Ceviche!

robH

Shijin13 likes this.
  11. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

THIS. Shrimp Ceviche (easily made with pre-frozen raw shirmp. it needs a good 6hrs to "cook" in the lemon & lime juice in the fridge - so the timing is perfect!

Cut up shrimp
    season with salt & pepper
    zest 2 limes, and 1/2 a lemon
    Add juice of 2-3 limes and one lemon (you want the lime flavor as the top note, and the lemon as the bottom - so you want more lime juice)
    add minced red onion
    Add jalapenos (if you eat night shades -)
    add minced garlic
    Add cilantro
    add avocado oil or olive oil
    stir it all up and pop into the fridge

Serve with jicama chips, guacamole, and a lovely salad of your choosing... nom nom nom nom nom

RobH likes this.
  12. Andrea

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and ideas so far!

Inger, are you aware of that you're describing a typical Swedish Christmas/Easter/Midsummer buffet?
    That is probably true. :)

Oh, I will have to try your recipe with herring, onions and tomatoes. That sounds so good! Thank you!

Yeah, they do, but it also contains plenty of sugar...
    Good tip! Looks like there are plenty of ideas and recipes. Hope there's something that works well to eat cold as well.
    Hmmmm... With duck legs instead of rice? I saw that you wrote about that in your journal!

Thanks! Sounds yummy! The rest of your suggestions too...

Now my head is starting to spin. :)

You're evil! I like that! I might very well do this at some occasion, just not this time. Too many people and I will have no control of who’s sitting at my table.

Oh yeah! Wonderful idea!

Beautiful recipe! Thanks!

13. Andrea

Crazy idea... Would it work to combine Gretchen's shrimp ceviche with raw mackerel? I'm thinking of taking two mackerel filets and glueing them together - meat side to meat side - and rolling to a roll; slicing it in say 2 cm thick slices. If I get it right, it will look like very odd, but beautiful round slices of fish. And serve with the shrimps. Or is it too crazy?

14. sooperb

sooperb New Member

The glue might be tricky ......

15. Andrea

Why?

16. Inger

Inger Silver

Rerun you can make gravlax without "sugar" too! Just use salt and dill and rosepepper... yummy! I do use a tiny amount of raw wild honey on my gravlax. It is so little I do not care. I make it mostly for the ex husband anyways. I prefer my food pretty plain and easy. I mostly eat salmon just sliced with some ACV and raw onion and salt... it is super fast and easy and yummy too!

The tomato herring will have a few carbs too. I do not make it for me, I prefer raw fish... but family loves it.

I usually do the Baltic herring filets I eat like this;

Marinate them raw over night in ACV (raw, organic and unfiltered), salt, raw onion slices and brown pepper (?) (brunpeppar, hela)

That is so super easy and I love it :)

You could also roll the mackerel filets in sushi sheets and cut into pieces. This is how I make it, did this 2 years ago.. (you could add avocado or cucumbers or anythings else in the roll of course..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRLbiwuvWEU

Shijin13 likes this.
  17. caroline

caroline Moderator

cauliflower rice for sushi ..... and peking duck

Shijin13 likes this.
  18. Andrea

I usually do that with herring. :)

Can you get any North sea herring in Finland? I've got the impression that the Baltic sea is pretty polluted, with loads of heavy metals and toxins.
    As for "brown pepper", I think it's one other name for Sichuan pepper. Although I'm not completely sure.

Now you're giving me more crazy ideas! :cool: I didn't get the sushi thing at first, but yeah, instead of making round slices of mackerel, I could make rolls of the filets, with different things inside. Smoked shrimps, seared onion or spinach or so. And a nori sheet on the outside.[/quote]

Thanks! And thanks for giving me a reason to practice German. :)
    Youtube is often so much fun. You watch one video and get suggestions for similar (?) videos to the right. When I looked at your video, they suggested this:

upload_2014-4-10_17-13-29.png

Maybe THIS is what I should bring to the event? :D

Ahhh! Now we're talking! :)

Attached Files:

19. caroline

caroline Moderator

what about putting some fresh hers in the middle?

Charlie Trotter has some gorgeous seafood recipes one is a salmon roulade .....long strips of salmon with fresh herbs sprinkled on top and then rolled and baked briefly - would be great cold too

20. HoneyChild

HoneyChild Gold