1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Infra red sauna anyone?

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by sooperb, Apr 16, 2014.

1. sooperb

sooperb New Member

2. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

I've used one before Soo, last time a couple of years ago. I was going to do a few sessions in March, but didn't because my FIL was ill (still is). This time I was going to do it to improve redox potential rather than detox, so wasn't going to go very hot with it. I felt the time was right because I'd been drinking lots of well water, and the weather was so horrible using the sun wasn't an option. When I found myself under a lot of stress I thought if I was dehydrated the FIR was a bad idea.... Now the sun's shining the water, grounding and sunshine is the better option for me, I'll probably rethink the FIR from October onwards.

3. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Jack says in one podcast -- I think one he did with Evan Brand -- that he has infra-red bulbs built into his bathtub. I'm not sure how he uses them, though. One use seemed to be to get a heat gradient across his body -- heat it in one place and cool it with ice in another. But perhaps that's not the only thing he does with them.

What I hear is that the far infra-red saunas, the ones they often have in spas, may be bad news. Far infra-red is getting nearer the wrong place on the electromagnetic spectrum. Apparently, you can get a pretty hefty dose of harmful EMF radiation in one of those. They have large panels and if you're leaning on a panel, it's going right in your head.

The bulbs are near infra-red -- in fact, they go over into the visible spectrum and you can see red light from them. They use those bulbs for poultry houses and reptile tanks, which is why the bulbs are commercially available.

ValerieBee likes this.
  4. cantweight

cantweight Gold

I just started with FIR sauna use, my BUN/Creatinine is decent around 13. Initially I was feeling great using it, but have stopped recently due to really bad edema. After reading that article (thank Sue!) I realize I was staying in too long.

And the whole rinsing immediately after did not always happen. I let myself get a good sweat on a few times which I knew I shouldnt do from a previous thread...but it felt good...I succumbed...

http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/mitochondria-produce-water-hydration-by-exercise.9543/

5. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Shame, they look quite attractive.

6. Justfourme

Justfourme New Member

I have a FAR infrared sauna and use daily. Jack seems to say they are ok for most things. Brand does matter. My integrative dr researched and narrowed down to 2 brands. She has one at her office you can purchase packages/minutes of use. I tried the beginner package and decided to buy my own unit. As far as effectiveness, prob need testing to determine heavy metal and toxins, then re-test to see changes. I have noticed a few changes. Toxins are excreted in sweat, urine and poop. Let's just say the restroom smelled like a landfill for several days! I had a bug bite on my arm that got infected and has been scaly/not healing , turned to some type of fungal infection for months. In 2 weeks time it was 90% healed. All skin seems to be feeling softer and looking better. With all the toxins in everything these days, if it helps to prevent disease it will be well worth it.
    I had also been experiencing chronic shoulder pain for over a year - too much typing for extended periods. That too is 90% gone.
    If nothing else, it's a quiet 30 min of meditation!
    I bought from high tech health as it was the lowest in emf. Sunlighten is a close second. And no, I have no affiliation w either company. Beware of any made of cedar wood - unless you like adding another toxin to the mix.
    and no higher than 130 degrees F, and no longer than 30 min. High temps and longer exposure should not be done. And you need to gradually work up to these over several sessions.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    ValerieBee likes this.
  7. Justfourme

Justfourme New Member

You also need to up mineral supplements while using or you will not feel well. Mag, vit c, sea salt, potassium, etc. I also drink prob 18 to 20 oz of water while in the sauna.

8. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Thanks for that.

9. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

There's a podcast specifically on these from Wendy Myers. Wendy seems to have connections with Evan Brand, who I'm sure you know. They're using these in accordance with Dr. Lawrence Wilson's protocol (crops here in the "Vampire" thread).

http://www.liveto110.com/infrared-saunas-in-depth-with-nikki-moses/

I have heard -- where I can't remember: possibly on this podcast -- that one study looked at the sweat of people leaving saunas (whether Finnish or Infra-red I can't remember) and found mercury in the sweat. This certainly suggests that saunas can help shift some substances out of the body.

The more hard-nosed people in Paleo would probably scoff at the notion of "toxins" and "detoxing". I've heard Rob Wolf do so on a podcast. To be sure people who talk vaguely of "detoxing" probably don't really know what they mean and the methods they propound don't necessarily work anyway. But these are real physiological processes. And maybe some of the methods Wendy uses do help our bodies' elimination systems.

I haven't tried infra-red saunas, but they do sound interesting. So many cultures use sweat-baths that I have to think there has to be something in it for some purposes at any rate. (See Native American sweat lodges, for example.) They seem to have been almost the original form of bath. What seems to have driven them out in the modern world is, curiously enough, the spread of Christianity. The early Christians could be highly ascetic, and some even looked upon keeping onself clean as a form of luxury. There's no Biblical basis for this attitude at all, of course -- no more than for the New England Puritan view that was supposed to hold that "cleanliness is next to godliness" and had missionaries persuading Eskimos to use towels much to Stefansson's annoyance, since the towels spread eye-diseases from person to person -- but that's what they thought. Notice that the sauna comes from Finland, which was, as it were, on the fringes of the world and evangelised very late.

Anyway, if sweat lodges were good enough for the Apache, they're probably good enough for us -- though I'd be just as interested in any data that showed they were not.

10. RobH

RobH Gold

Bought a SunLighten (got a great deal, got it up and running a few days ago.) Supposedly very low EMF per them (and I will test). Jack said in one podcast of the OR series (with Dr. Patel) that he thought they were great as long as one didn't suffer from chronic dehydration (and the sauna was low EMF). I am thinking anything I can do to add energy to my system will be helpful since energy loss is a huge issue. Naturally the folks who sell them cite host of benefits (detoxification, skin health, muscle tone, decreased BP, increased healing, weight loss, cardio tone, improve sleepetc.) Ours also has "chromotherapy" with changeable light (set to red) for additional anti-inflammatory effects.

My wife tried it the other night before bed. Said it stopped her late night carb cravings and she slept great. Turned off breakers too that night though.

So far have done 3 sessions in it < 125F. About 45 min each. Very nice. Really enjoyed it. Very relaxing. Have a few minor wounds / scrapes that seem to be healing faster than expected. Perhaps it's my imagination but my skin feels softer. Have been drinking lots of cold vortexed and magnetized RO water before and during.... goal is to store a whole bunch of extra energy in EZ of water!

I worry a bit about the FIR as postulated above by gagnrad but actually there are far worse sources of EMF I deal with every day. Ours is a "full-spectrum" model so theoretically I can customize the output and specify how much near / mid / far EMF to emit.

Very very happy so far.

Ask me in a month or so and I'll let you know...

RobH

11. RickD

RickD New Member

Hopefully you got one of the larger models with the removable benches. I find being able to stretch while inside to be almost as beneficial as the IR energy. I got mine a few months before you and use it daily.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  12. RobH

RobH Gold

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Sounds great. We got the 2 person one and I can take the bench out but probably not going to give much stretch room unfortunately. Didn't quite want to spring for the bigger one and was a bit short on indoor space also. We'll see .... perhaps an upgrade will be in the works someday...

13. RickD

RickD New Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I think the IR is far more important, but after seeing improvements in my hips and ankles that had been dogging my running all winter I came to the conclusion that maybe Hot Yoga wasn't all hype.

14. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Hot yoga? I guess you mean the Bikram style. I haven't tried it but I spent 2 weeks in India doing yoga twice a day, I'm confident the heat made it much easier, I could do poses there that I haven't managed since.

Ouch at the prices of the IR sauna! I like the look of the solo, I can imagine a state of bliss lying inside one of those. What should one take into consideration when choosing one?

15. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

How close are you to the actual lights in the sauna? I was told by my doctor that the light doesn't penetrate the body unless you are within six inches or so of the actual bulb….he's not always a fountain of truth, but I thought I would ask how the saunas are set up. It would seem that the bigger one's may be less effective if this is true.

16. RickD

RickD New Member

Prices on the saunas aren't cheap and if you want something for just the IR then one of the solo dome type models would be an excellent choice especially if space is an issue. Just make sure you find one with ultra low emf otherwise you might as well crawl in a microwave oven.

They aren't lights but rather a carbon based thin panel that emits radiation in the IR spectrum. To get full IR impact you should be very close to them, but mine has a total of 14 heaters including the floor so not too hard to get close. For stretching the heat is all that matters. I got mine after reading Pollack's book and listening to Jack and was amazed at the energy (electrons) it gave me. If you live in a northern climate, I'm in Canada, it really shows you how much we miss the sun in the winter.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  17. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

We were in Newfoundland for 30 years so I know what you're saying…Vermont is an improvement, but not enough

18. sooperb

sooperb New Member

19. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Dr Mercola will be bringing out his own line of low EMF if saunas soon.

20. sooperb

sooperb New Member

That would be good, the carriage would probably be as steep as the magnetico lol