1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

increasing DHA in eggs

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by LisaLearning, Mar 22, 2015.

1. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

Is increasing the DHA content of eggs going to result in active DHA at the correct position on the glycerol?

I considered adding krill oil to my hens' food and wondered if this would increase the DHA content of their eggs, then I wondered if that processed DHA in the krill oil that was less bioavailable might just pass through that DHA making eggs with less bioavailable DHA. Or perhaps the hens' systems would somehow restructure the molecules and it would be more bioavailable?

Maybe instead feeding algae to my hens might increase the bioavailable DHA?

Jack, do you know anything about this, or have any thoughts on this matter? Or anyone else?

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

chickens can do what lambs and fish do but just not effectively........they do transmit iodine well however.

Brent Patrick and Alex97232 like this.
  3. I remember in the book "Omega 3's - The Queen of Fats" by Susan Allport (an amazing book about DHA) she cites some studies where the compare a hen in Greece who scratches for snails, eats whatever is on the hillside with 'battery hens' and the DHA was 10 times as much in the egg of the Greek hen. That really brought home to me an egg is not just an egg. So I would think whatever their 'natural' diet is...............lucky you to have you own hens.

4. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

So supplement their feed for the added iodine, but don't worry about DHA. Still with something like algae, then? I know people give flax to chickens hoping to increase omega 3, but I presume that isn't going to work for wanting to maximise DHA. What about mercury in those sea products - do chickens methylate mercury (a bizarre question - not expecting an answer, just asking in case you do know)?

fitness@home likes this.
  5. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

I do throw mine snails when I find them gardening. And I have seen one catch a mouse and eat it whole. :) Got to love a pet that recycles waste food into eggs. And they have good personalities too. I'll see if I can get my hands on that book, thanks, Pat.

nicld likes this.
  6. Yes it is an amazing and beautiful book and not so long (about 200 pages) but very readable and covers vast ground. Before Jack's work I would say it was the most influential 'diet and health' type book I have ever read...............

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

snails for your chickens is a smart move.......as long as the snails processed the algae first.

8. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Couldn't you also eat the snails yourself?

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

you could but her question was about eggs and chickens not snails. What processes the DHA from algae in the wrong position was the gist of her question. Humans get it from seafood normally

Danco3636 and LisaLearning like this.
  10. Here is some of what Susan Allport wrote in "Omega-3's the Queen of Fats" about the "Greek chicken"

"S. began by testing purslane, one of the most common wild green in Greece (and many other countries). She was amazed to find that this ordinary plant, a weed in most of the world's eyes has an alpha linolenic acid content 4 times that of cultivated spinach. Purslane is not a cold adapted plant (emphasis mine) like some other greens full of omega-3's such as rapeseed, spinach and aquatic plants. It is not for this reason it is full of Omega-3's. Rather botanists suspect it's high level of Omega-3's work to compensate for light damage since purslane grows in intense sunlight"

She (going by memory here I must read it again) has shown a connection between DHA and cold. How it helps the fish see at great depths, also went into how it helped fish withstand great pressure of water and also withstand great cold by keeping the cell membrane more pliable..............a lot of this is connecting up now with Dr K's work.............I really MUST read it again it is like 7 years since I read it. It's kind of amazing this book stood out for me like an island and now it is connecting up with all this other stuff............

LisaLearning likes this.
  11. Sorry maybe the above wasn't clear............the context was the 'Greek chicken' lived largely on purslane and snails etc. Does anyone know what 'purslane' is or looks like I don't..............

12. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

Purslane is a plant, sometimes eaten in salads. I don't know if we have any around here in England, must investigate. I think all those types of plants (you mentioned, like spinach and rape) are high in oxalic acid, and that inhibits calcium absorption - which reminds me of the calcium efflux condition in EMF, but no idea if they are connected.

13. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

Jack, you're right that I know I could eat DHA rich things directly, and I do. I was just thinking about optimising eggs since I have control over that with my own girls and they are lovely, fresh eggs - what's not to love?? I would love to turn those eggs into little DHA bombs, if only I could find a way to do it without needing a snail farm.

14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

One escargot for you one for the chickens..........could work.

djd5 likes this.
  15. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

I wonder if the proper escargot we all know and love are the same things as garden snails here in England. A friend of mine in Greece once posted a photo on FB of her grandmother with a big bowl of snails all crawling out that looked just like our garden snails and said that her grandmother had gone on to cook them up for lunch.

16. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

It grows pretty much everywhere in N. American…we have tons of it in our garden and I have eaten it now and then….

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/weedsdiseases/a/purslane.htm

17. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

I have started feeding the chickens any bit of waste of anything we have that comes from the sea, and skin, bones or heads that are not eaten by the humans. I'm not going to test their eggs for DHA content, but I figure either they are benefitting, or I am benefitting indirectly.

Martin likes this.
  18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

smart idea.........let the animal process the DHA........and then eat the eggs.

19. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

@LisaLearning I had some cheap fish (whiting) in the freezer that I originally bought for our cat. It is old and smelly, and we aren't going to eat it. So I've been thawing it out a few pieces at a time and feeding them to our guineas every once in a while. I have some large nails that I use to fix them to the ground so the birds can eat easier. They go bonkers for them.

I also separate raw milk and give them the skim milk. And yes, they get fish bones and such, and their own egg shells, sunned and crushed up. And oyster shell of course.

And you can water a spot in the yard and put down a piece of wood or metal on top. Leave for a few days, then uncover it when the chickens are nearby. They'll snatch the crickets and other bugs underneath with glee.

20. Martin

Martin Gold

When I had hens, I'd feed them my leftovers from fish broth and hardly a bone was left. Got to move to the Gulf, get more chickens and fishing pole.

LisaLearning likes this.