1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

In need of support and direction...

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by K123, Aug 4, 2013.

1. K123

K123 New Member

Hi all, my first post here or on any primal related website. I will be 32 yrs old this month. Being an Indian I was brought up eating a mainly carb diet. And since I left home and struggled my way through uni I ate an even more poor diet of bad carbs like instant noodles and tonnes of rice. Also worked night shifts to support myself so messed up my circadian rhythm for a good three years. After which I have been through a lot of emotional stress with my church and in spite of having an MBA found that I had lost my confidence to go after any of my ambitions. So I haven't worked for the last 5 years almost. I was always a chubby kid but last year my father passed away after a lot unexpected struggle and I was the only one by his side and that stress made me put on another 10 kgs in two months. So right now, I am about 26 kgs over-weight for my height. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 6 years back but my guess is that I probably had PCOS for almost 12 years or so. It took a long journey to come to Jack's website. Started with the Shwartzbein Principle and then to the Harcombe Diet and Primal Blueprint and after much trial and error over the last two years I was finally led to Jack's site and knew it is the real deal. I think Jack is a real genius who the world will recognise only too late as always. Everytime I have tried to eat by his precepts I start losing weight and my feet stop hurting. Although I have been trying to eat primal, I noticed a few months back that I was getting some vitiligo/ white spots on my face. I realised that it was because of auto-immunity and I can't do eggs for breakfast anymore. I am basically struggling to actually start a leptin reset for an auto-immune disorder and to stick to it. I start but end up giving up in a week or so. The thought of sticking to it for 90 days seems so challenging. Although I know that a lot of my troubles - spots, facial hair, falling hair on my head, a lot of excess weight, heavy periods and pain in various parts of my body...I would definitely see improvement in all of it. I just need some support to start and stick with it. Also some advice on what a person with auto-immunity should do would help. I am confused about whether cooking peppers and tomatoes actually makes it safer for me or if I need to avoid it altogether. I know Dr.K said I should do a lot of CT so trying to get used to it. Sorry for this crazy long post but thought I should give the proper background to get relevant advice. Thank you in advance to all the heroes that have gone before me!

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Hi, K123, welcome! Do you eat seafood?

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

Welcome K123 .....You have definitely come to the right place! I don't know a lot about autoimmune but there are lots of people here that do and they will help out as soon as they have some time.

Please try to move this to the journal section - maybe open a support ticket and ask them to do that. Journals are great because you get to track your progress and we can all offer some help and support you. It would be our great pleasure to do that and you can help us as well .....everyone's story impacts all of us..

You have done so well already inspite of all the negative stuff in your life.

In my opinion - the more simple your meals are - the easier it is. That is definitely how it is for me.
    I am a little confused - I need to read your post again ..... are you doing the leptin reset?
    If you are having a BAB first thing in the morning [at least 50 +gr protein] with lots of good fat ...then that will set you up for the day. If you do this - it becomes much easier. Your cravings will go away and you will slowly need less food later in the day. Sometimes you may need even more protein than 50 g for your BAB - I did.

Have you addressed your EMF exposure? and are you following light cycles? these are the most important things to take care of.

Have you listened to Jack's latest podcasts? they help alot to connect the dots in an easy to understand way. Are you able to see the webinars? Jack is very easy to listen to and they are great for getting to the point quickly for specific things.
    Also - Jack's book is a great overview of all this and it is a great reference tool to have at hand.

There is a great deal to take onboard here .... so please keep reading and asking questions - we are here to help [and we have all been there]

I just re read your post.....
    Please don't look at this as a 90 day challenge. You need to commit to this 100% and be fully engaged. This is a journey of a lifetime - I can promise you that for sure. You will get your life back - your head will clear - so many things will improve but it is going to take time. It took you a lifetime to get here ...so it is going to take more than 90 days to fix all this stuff. Personally - I can't imagine living any other way. I am having the time of my life trying to get my head around all this science and I feel great.

It is a very amazing thing to take control of your life and your health and that is what Dr. Kruse is teaching us. You need to become informed about all aspects of your health. You need to be in the driver's seat. It truly is the journey of a life time!

4. K123

K123 New Member

I love seafood nonchalant! But it gets quite expensive in London, UK to find wild/ fresh water seafood. Ate Salmon fillets this morning but to get 50 grams of protein I had to eat 2 fillets which costs about $8.70 for breakfast alone. Can't do eggs anymore since I realise I am getting white spots on my skin which is a sign of auto-immune disorder vitiligo.

5. K123

K123 New Member

Hi Caroline! Thank you so much for your time and effort :) I couldn't find where to raise a support ticket so I just wrote to them on the contact us page and asked how to go about it. Still getting a hang of this website and the features. I apologise for my ramblings last night...I really wanted to just start writing and stop putting it off and therefore the lack of structure and clarity. To answer some of your questions :
    1) I have tried to start the Leptin Reset a few times. I manage to stick to it for about a week or so and then end up cheating because I have a sweet tooth and still struggling with sugar metabolism symptoms...as in intense hunger at times and intense craving for sweet things. We tried the Whole 30 in November last year and saw some great results. Then came to read about Leptin reset this Feb and have been trying to really get going on the Leptin Reset. Usually I fail in about a week's time...when we have been so strict for a week and the weekend comes. So no, I can't say I am on Leptin reset yet...yesterday for example I ate the BAB but at night ended up eating chocolate cake!!! :mad: So I am really trying to get back on the horse and stay there.
    2) BAB: Like I mentioned I am having auto-immune issues showing up since I ate eggs for breakfast almost everyday. So then had to quit the eggs. Which means having to figure out some easy ways to eat breakfast...but wild seafood is really expensive here...not sure how it compares to the US. My breakfast salmon cost $8.70...is that about the same?
    3) EMF: Hubby is a geek so of course our tiny London flat is filled with computers and a large TV and our flat has a lot of bright ceiling lighting and the tiny open plan kitchen has the washing machine and dishwasher and what not. And since I am trying to get back to work and work from home I am really surrounded by gadgets. DH says there is no point turning off the wi-fi because the neighbours wi-fi's are just as strong and all around us. Don't even know where to start.
    4) Light Cycles: I tried it a little and even bought these tiny artificial candles for the night - https://tinyurl.com/qh2wsdz. But I have to confess sleeping habits are all upside down right now.
    5) Webinar: I did listen to the latest webinar that Gretchen did and Dr.K came in later. It was great. That is what made me want to actually join the forum.
    I have been trying to battle this out alone for a while but I see I need people to be involved. To keep me on track. A friend of mine was doing something like weight-watchers and went to these weekly meetings and it really helped her to lose and to maintain her weight. Although she is still eating bread and what not. The reason I didn't want to do that is because I know that is not the path to optimal. I want to be the best I can be. But I also have just realised what a huge difference it makes to have others involved to spur you on. So that is why I have come to ask for help finally instead of struggling alone for months. I used to love biology in school and am quite into it even now. When my dad was hospitalised, his doctors kept asking me if I had a medical background because I could discuss things with them. So I absolutely love reading Dr.K's blogposts...although it is a LOT to take in. So I am totally with you on the fact that this needs to be for life, but I am thinking on the 90 day level because I am hoping in those 90 days I will get to the point like many others here have where your cravings are but dead. And your mind is clear enough that you can choose health and not feel enslaved by carbs ;) If you know what I mean??

6. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Hello KT123 ,

I am a newbie here myself so cannot offer too much good advice. I think though there might be some shopping tips I could give you. Salmon is out of my price range here too so I looked at alternatives. Pollock,haddock,mackerel is a perfect everyday fish. You might want to have a look at Aldi's and see if they have frozen pollock. They usually have good prizes. Failing that and if you have the time Borough fish market . I hear the fish there is half the supermarket price and fresh every day ,on top of that locally sourced .Good luck.

Edit: Had a nose around .Lookee here lookee here,good prices even for wild salmon https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/frozen/fish-seafood/

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  7. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi K. .....You are not rambling at all!

Lets talk more about the BAB.....You need to eat alot of protein/fat within 30 minutes of waking. When I started I was 62K and I quite often ate around 80+g of protein for my BAB. You need to make sure you stuff alot down!

A lot of us here have/had eating disorders of one kind or another - me included - and please understand that obesity and anorexia are the same - only opposite ends of the spectrum. We are all in this together and we have Dr. K. shining his flashlite for us on this journey of a lifetime - we are very lucky...

Back to the BAB .....You need to eat that much regardless of how hungry [or not] you are .... adding in a lot of fat makes it easier. A lot of us find that seafood is just not filling enough for breakfast. I often throw a leg of lamb in the crockpot and eat that and maybe add in a can of sardines. Seafood is very expensive - so do what you can..... Dr. Kruse has said this many times. If you can afford oysters morning, noon and nite ....great - go for it....but most of us here can't so we do what we can. You can also have hamburgers for breakfast and I usually add some butter on top. It is easier to think - dinner for breakfast! Always, always think outside the box....be crazy and daring!

Honestly - without question ....if you eat enough protein and fat for breakfast your cravings will go away. I used to be hungry all the time and had terrible cravings but after starting the reset I shifted down to two meals a day - and absolutely no cravings. This happened for me in about 2-3 weeks - but it can take longer. I was very focused tho ...I hated all the food cravings ruling my life!

A lot of us have a BPC for breakfast .....Bullet proof coffee ...to get extra fat in. Green tea is fine too. I add a couple of TBSP of butter and coconut oil and sometimes pure cocoa. Sometimes I just eat a slab of butter - but then I have always loved butter :)

What else can I tell you?
    lets just recap for a minute ....maybe re read the leptin reset to make sure that you haven't missed anything

-Following light cycles is huge - get a pair of blue blocker glasses - no TV - limit computer time

Get lots of grounding - hug a tree - walk barefoot in the grass - swim in an ocean

C/T as often as possible - have you seen the easy start guide for C/T?

That is really all there is - don't over think it right now .... of course there is a ton to read and learn here - but just take baby steps....and ask lots and lots of questions.
    I once asked Dr.K. what I thought was a very dopey question and he said - no its not dopey ....the dopey thing was not asking him sooner. That taught me a big lesson.

You are doing great ...have you listened to JK's podcasts [home page]? The last two or three tie lots of thing together.

PM me if you want.....

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

A couple of other things - I just re read your last post! That is so great if you love biology and have an understanding...I don't have a scientific bone in my body and really struggle ....but I definitely get the overall picture :)

consider being a silver or gold member - of course you don't have to .....but think of this as an investment in your life and in your health and future.

All the webinars are so helpful and if you are a gold member the Q&A's are also included and you can ask questions.....