1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Improving Colonic Health

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by seanb4, Apr 7, 2014.

1. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Hi guys,

I'm back on the thought path that my poor digestion time could be a big part on my health problems. I do not think it's the main cause, but it can't hurt to improve it.

Since I ate pretty much zero vegetables and mostly cooked food, I suspect my colon isn't getting the substances it needs to be healthy. My transit time is roughly 5 days but the weird thing is, if I take some food that will increase my transit time (dark chocolate for example) it will still take days to come out but it will look as though it has rushed through my digestive system, lighter in colour, etc. I suspect that this could be because it is rushing through my small intestines but then getting stuck in the large intestines because my large intestine health is not up to scratch and thus takes a while to extract what it needs.

So to increase my colonic / large intestine health, I need to feed it the correct pre and probiotics (chitin, glycans), and enough water so it can convert the probiotics to SCFA (butyrate) at optimal speed. Without vegetables I need to eat raw to do this as cooking destroys the probiotics, also minimal chewing helps in allowing certain food to reach the colon undigested.

I can get my hands on frozen raw shrimp and raw salmon however I wonder if I can speed the process up by supplementing chitin, glycans or butyrate...

2. nicld

nicld Gold

I would highly recommend getting a GI stool test done if you have not already. Mine showed that I have bad stuff in there that has been causing alot of my issues. Between that and a blood test it showed that I have a bunch of biofilms in there and with the help of Dr. Tim I am on treatments for that and it has helped.

I have felt I had the same issues int he past that once food got to the large intestines they would just stop and it felt horrible. Also start eating a bunch of fermented veggies, that has been helping me.

Hang in there, you'll figure it out.

3. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Hi nicld,

I do plan on getting the GI test but I don't have much money and am prioritizing other things first.

I have done fermented vegetables in the past but only difference I noticed was better hair with really high doses. I have since found out that was due to the structured water content and not the bacteria. Hoping raw seafood will be different.

Yea biofilms sound like a bitch.

4. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Any opinions on supplementing chitin, glycans or butyrate?

Is the only way to get these things by eating raw animals? Which animals are the best?

Anyone had any experience with prune juice or similar things that increase transit time?

5. Melanie Procter

Melanie Procter New Member

Hi, I don't know if this will help you. But this blog is unstoppable in its own way. At first, it is painful and then all of a sudden something clicks and it seems to take a life on its own. If you are working on your gut health, I suggest yo read it. http://jackkruse.com/organizational-structural-failure-1-gutcollagen-link/

I was looking for sources for butyrate recently for a funny reason. Dave Asprey interviewed this guy who heads up the Flow state project which helps people to get in a peak cognitive/creative state called flow. They were discussing nutritional precursors that could support flow. Dave suggested amino acids but I don't know which ones. I also heard butyrate. I found butyrate is high in butter. My guess butyrate supports the flow state as it is a precursor of gabba.

I am not really answering your question. But here I will give you a little tip. Dave Asprey has a recipe online called Get Some Ice Cream. Give that a try. It does have butter in it but people find it magical. Take a look at it and try it.

Be well!

seanb4 likes this.
  6. Inger

Inger Silver

High heart, fermented liver ( i let my raw grassfed beef liver stay on a wooden plate in the fridge, uncovered. It dries on the surface and gets a bit fermented on the inside, quite yummy!) do not chew much

Eat animal parts like skin and other tough stuff you can read about in the blog Melanie mentions, less chewed

Raw seafood! Chew as little as you can.

I wonder if that is why I do so well on a animal food diet because I have done all this for years - and it makes me feel great! I see what others eat.. and I think I would not do well with that... even if it is paleo

Jack has said again and again - do not supplement, eat the real thing. Let your food me your medicine :)

I see the ones that struggle the most tend to eat many supplements :oops: and say, they cannot eat "weird stuff". But we all can. I close my nose and just swallow if it tastes too bad, period. It is a very good trick

seanb4 likes this.
  7. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Hi Melaine, Yeah the blog post is a good one. Interesting to here about butyrate and flow as well. I think I will try making some of that ice cream, I already have most of the ingredients. Just need to buy vanilla. I think I will leave out the sweeteners and mct oil.

What exactly does an ice cream maker do? I assume it just keeps it cool. Do you reckon I can get away with melting all the stuff together instead of blending?

Hey Inger, I've definitely gotta try the high meats again, I just made such a hash before. How long do you leave it in the fridge? Is it any different with non grass fed meats? I tried doing it with stake once and the texture got really weird and dried up. I guess I left it in too long...

How do you eat the raw fish skins? When I was eating raw fish I couldn't even bite into the skin to tear it off. Do you cut it off with scissors or something or do I need to just do more jaw sets at the local gym?

8. Inger

Inger Silver

So far I eat only skins on mackerel and herring.. these are soft. You could gut into pieces and swallow? Or smoothie it like I do with fish heads? Chewing softer fish heads would be ideal but I am not so far yet :oops:

I never eat anything else than grass fed or game... i would not do high meat with grain fed. I would not eat it at all.I think really not healthy :(

It is super easy, can you get heart? Lambs heart would do too... cut into cubes and put in a glass jar and let sit in the fridge or room temp and air it once in a while. Room temp will ferment way faster and air it everyday. Fill the jar only half full, enjoy in a few weeks or older :) no too long, it goes only better! On Iceland they bury birds in the ground and leave for a year! Eat as a delicacy...

What meat did you use? Do you kept it in a glass jar closed? To let it dry up will not make it work

seanb4 likes this.
  9. Inger

Inger Silver

Scissors are very handy tool to eat with at times BTW ;)

seanb4 likes this.
  10. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

I suppose I can eat smaller fish whole although I don't know how my stomach would handle all that extra content...

Yea I may give the scissors a go. Even with mackerel I struggled with the skin.

I tried it with beef heart or liver, cant remember. I left it outside for a few days, airing everyday. On like the 7th day I was guna eat it but it smelled really wrong so I asked on here and got advised against it. I guess it's supposed to smell wrong though...

11. Inger

Inger Silver

Mackerel skin is soft, Sean! I just slice cubes of the filets with skin on them and mix with onion rings and ACV and some EVOO and salt, this is a yummy meal, you can use a nori sheet as wrap if you want or add seaweed too

seanb4 likes this.
  12. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Yea I had raw squid rings, raw salmon, and butter today. I swallowed the skin fillets whole. It's weird, I don't have the urge to eat any more of the food that I had, even though it was ~1500kcals less than I usually eat, yet I'm still a bit hungry.... maybe I'll adapt to the raw food taste after a while and then be hungry for more.

13. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I can't swallow cubes of raw fish, so I just nibble off the meat from the cube, chew it a bit, and pop in the leftover bit of skin as I swallow the mouthful.

seanb4 likes this.
  14. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

I'm finding it hard to get in a lot of fat when I have been eating like this. I have some raw prawns (entirely protein), then raw salmon (double protein to fat) in a bit of olive oil and maybe some butter of which I do not like eating on it's own however can force down 100g but even that's only 800 kcal of fat. Do I dislike the taste of butter because of excessive vit A?

I think I do well on less protein and more fat. If I overeat on the protein my symptoms are worse and I am far more tired. I think this is something to do with dehydration.

I ended up eating cheese and yogurt yesterday because I was still hungry after the above food and I have shit will power. Any high fat suggestions?

Also I asked at every place in my town market for salami and there was none...weird. I might try a big supermarket tomorrow and see if they do it. Could be a good source of fat...

15. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Tanya and seanb4 like this.
  16. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Nice idea yewwei, my stomach doesn't handle large volumes too well so the soups are out of the question but the clam chowder sounds good. I think I will make my version tonight, powdered egg yolk x2 tbsp, butter 75g, cocoa butter 50g, and a little bit of boiling water.

17. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

It's unlikely to be that, Sean.

A tablespoon of butter has about 350 IU of retinoic acid. For comparison, 4 oz. of lamb's liver has about 28,000 IU.

Sure. Chris Bonnington used to take it for its calorific value compared to its weight. And ... well, have a look at some:

[​IMG]

seanb4 likes this.
  18. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

@Gagnrad now it's just finding some...

19. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Failing local sources, try online, @seanb4.

There the problem is delivery charges, but it could be worth a look. I'd think it'd even be possible to order it through Amazon, which is easy enough.

20. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Yeah I had a quick look yesterday and think the cheapest I could find was £40+. I didn't look in-depth though.