1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

I'm new here and this is my story

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Thora Pomicter, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Hello everybody, I am not sure of all that I should include in my profile here and I did not look at anyone else’s before writing this to see what other people wrote, so it is just my story as it comes out.

I am 54 years old and of Icelandic/Norwegian descent on my mom’s side and Austrian/Polish on my father’s. I was not breast fed as a baby. I grew up in Hartford, CT. When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, I had a mysterious year long episode of extreme stomach cramps and diarrhea every morning for about an hour. I had to get up extra early before school to get though these episodes before I could get ready for school. My parents took me to a doctor and his advice was to eat dry toast and drink tea. Basically he had no idea what was wrong with me, and the tea and toast thing did nothing but probably make me worse. That all resolved on its own and I have no idea why.

When I was in high school, I developed a dark spot in my central vision of, I think, my right eye. Again, it was a mystery to the doctors and their conclusion was that it was a response to high stress. I did have a very stressful home life, so maybe that was it. I remember getting an MRI and after it was over and they found nothing, my dad (a general surgeon) told me that they had given me the MRI because they thought I might have MS. That scared the shit out of me, especially because no one could figure out what was wrong. That also resolved itself over time.

I was a chubby kid (We ate horribly in my family – processed foods, junk food, fast food, you name it). When I was in my early 20s, I lost 30 pounds and kept it off all of my adult life except when I was pregnant. I have been very physically active all of my adult life. I mostly was an endurance athlete, doing all kinds of triathlon, biking and running events: bike time trials, short running events to marathon distance, and sprint triathlons to Ironman distance.

About 14 years ago I stopped all of my endurance stuff and began doing HIIT workouts and weights with plyometrics, stability and balance exercises all mixed in. I have evolved to the point where my workouts are now between 15 and 30 minutes long and are high intensity. I do not exceed 30 minutes. I also have switched my workouts from early morning to the afternoon. I worked out for years at 5 AM in gyms under blue light, which I now know was detrimental to my health and I do not do that anymore. I know that Jack would say that I was an idiot. I just didn’t know better.

I have had Reynaud’s of my fingers (not thumbs or feet) since at least my early 20’s.

I started wearing reading glasses at age 40 after having perfect vision (Except for the dark spot episode) all of my life to that point. A couple of years ago, I went to my eye doctor for a check up and he recommended that I get a prescription for glasses because my vision, especially in my left eye, had deteriorated and he said I would soon have trouble reading street signs while driving. I left his office determined to reverse my vision on my own because I did not want to go down that road. I got on line that afternoon, searched and found the Bates Method for reversing poor vision. I ordered the CD set, practiced the exercises every day and my vision improved over the course of just a few months to the point where I did not need reading glasses anymore. This was before I learned about using the sun to heal me. I have not worn sunglasses or worn sunscreen in many, many years but I only learned about getting red light and the full spectrum during the day in recent years from learning the Jack Kruse stuff, which I am now implementing.

Also in my 40’s I had slightly elevated thyroid antibodies, but my doctor said they were not high enough “to put me on medicines yet.”

A brief family background is that my husband is an anesthesiologist and we have two adult children (a rocket propulsion engineer and a firefighter/paramedic). My 85 year old mother has significant mitochondrial dysfunction with hearing loss, macular degeneration, dementia, sarcopenia and general loss of energy. My more distant maternal mitochondrial history is clouded by my maternal Grandmother dying of meningitis in her twenties during a Saskatchawan winter. My maternal Great Great Grandmother died in a tornado.

In 2015, the shit hit the fan for me in many ways and my body just fell apart. We moved that March from Shelburne, VT to a little town in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia called Singers Glen. We moved from a suburban neighborhood to a 15 acre farm in the country surrounded by additional pasture land. The move was unexpected and very stressful. Shortly after we moved here, I started having all of these symptoms and I felt extremely sick all the time. I had major fatigue, anxiety, I couldn’t digest my food, and I had bloating and headaches. I was so tired that I literally would have to sit down and would fall asleep sitting up, but I could not sleep at night. I will address my sleep issue in more detail at the end of this whole thing. My husband, despite being a physician, is fortunately a very outside of the box thinker. He had a bunch of tests done for me, and my test results showed that I had antibodies to multiple tissues as well as several gluten and wheat antigens, high cortisol, leaky gut, B Hominis infection, and SIBO. My routine labs are generally very good with low fasting insulin levels, Vitamin D around 70, low inflammatory markers like hs-CRP, and high HDL and total cholesterols. I do not have recent labs; I am planning on doing a new set after I have been on a rigorous deuterium depletion diet and CT, so probably in August or September.

I tried to work on the gut issues and antibodies simultaneously since we thought that they were just different symptoms of the same underlying process. I did the Gut Thrive in Five program, stopped eating gluten and pretty much all grains, and did a 5 day water fast with goldenseal extract (and that is what really turned my gut symptoms around). I use a far infra-red sauna, a Joovv with 650 and 830 nm full body panel, and a UVB tanning bed. I have recently actually stopped using the Joovv after hearing Jack and Alexander Wunsch talk about flicker (I think that is a large part of what makes me exhausted and anxious under LED and fluorescent lighting), so I want to figure out a better light hack for the upcoming winter with a better red/near IR light source and include some UVA.

Currently, the only antibodies I still have are to my thyroid and my last test results showed that those have gone down, but I still have them. I am currently eating a deuterium depleting, ketogenic, paleo diet, very low in carbs, high in fats and pretty high in protein. I eat a lot of wild caught seafood, grass finished beef from a local farmer, our own pastured pork from pigs we raised, pastured chicken eggs from our own chickens and seasonal vegetables. I eat a lot of fat with each meal. I am not eating any fruit. I also eat local, A2/A2 grass fed cheese and raw milk. All of the above is organic and my urine glyphosate levels are undetectable. I have been using deuterium depleted water for a couple of weeks and my baseline deuterium test results pending. I have not tested our well water for deuterium, but it does not have any agricultural chemical contaminants and we use a fluoride filter to reduce/eliminate naturally occurring fluoride.

I get outside to see the sunrise every morning and I eat my fatty breakfast outside while watching the sunrise with as little clothing on as possible. I have started doing breathing exercises to help deplete deuterium, and I keep my breathing through my nose. I spend a lot of time outside during the day from March through November (people are always asking where we went on vacation because I have such a dark tan), and I watch the sun set in the evening. My work environment sucks as far as blue light and EMF exposure, but we are in the process of changing that. I own my own (organic spice blend) company and we are building out a new factory space here at home so that we can make it a much more healthy environment to work in. That should happen in the next couple of months. I wear blue blockers and a scarf over my throat when I am under electric lights and while on my computer or phone, which I try to limit to only none-4 hours a day. We keep our modem off at all times unless we are online, but I do need to be online some for work. Luckily we are in a very rural location with only one other modem signal that we can pick up from a neighbor a couple of hundred yards away. I have begun doing cold thermogenesis again and am easing into that because having lived in Vermont for 30 years, I hate the cold. We did a couple of months of ice baths two winters ago, but going to bed shivering was just too much at that time in the cold dark winter. I think maybe I tried to do too much too soon, so hopefully this time I can adjust to it.

I stopped taking all supplements about a month ago after listening to Jack and to others like Dr. Boros. The only medication I am on is bio-identical hormones, which I would love to be off.

My biggest issue of concern is that I sleep terribly. I have never slept well in my whole life. As a child I had insomnia. I have always been amazed that other people actually sleep through the entire night because I don’t know what that is like. Now I fall asleep easily around sundown, but I always wake up probably around 1:00 AM and I am awake for hours without being able to fall back asleep. Often when I wake up I am burning hot which is not something that happens to me other than in the middle of the night. I eventually fall back asleep maybe an hour or so before my alarm clock goes off at 5 AM. I then wake up so tired and anxious because I am constantly hearing everyone say, “You have to sleep or all of these terrible things will happen to you.” I know that; I just don’t know what to do about it. I have tried so many things over the years and nothing works so far. I do not look at my phone at all during the evening and night. I don’t even turn on any lights anymore at home. We use kerosene lamps if we need light in the morning or evening to see, but I generally get in bed at sunset so I don’t even need the lamp. In the event that we need more light, we have incandescent bulbs in our house instead of LEDs or compact fluorescents (those both make me feel sick). We have blackout shades on the bedroom windows and turn off the breakers to all of the electrical circuits in our bedroom walls/floor/ceiling and sleep on a Magnetico super sleep system…we even punched out the little light on the smoke detector. We have measured for AC magnetic fields and stray electrical flux/voltage without there being any, and the RF power density is very low.

So I need to figure out the sleep thing, I want to get off of my bio-identical hormones and I would love for my thyroid antibodies to go away. Everything I have done so far to improve my health has been without medication (except the hormones) and I am feeling SO much better than I did from 2015 through 2017. It’s funny because during all of my years of athleticism, I thought that I was the picture of health but I was actually setting myself up for my body to fall apart in 2015. I have learned so much and yet I constantly feel now that my learning has just begun.

ELLEN M. and caroline like this.
  2. Penny

Penny New Member

I feel your pain:) IMHO you need to eat more oysters - which have 200% of the daily requirement - blue light depletes zinc which only oysters contain - also, your cortisol levels are high which depletes electrons - you are probably waking up because cortisol spikes in the middle of the night to get glucose to your brain so you don't die because your adrenals are used in this process and a side effect is that cortisol spikes - there is a melatonin receptor in your pancreas and so you need 4 hours of darkness or insulin will still be pumped... the insulin molecule is full of zinc... zinc is a cofactor of serotonin/melatonin/dopamine and like 300 different enzymes - it is quite possible that you are a diabetic which would also cause that - sugar must be generated by the liver at night and if that process is a fail, the adrenals have to take over and you wake up - since you have thyroid antibodies, you have inflammation=>you still have plenty of deuterium laying around... also, there could be something in your environment (like a military base) that is screwing up sleep - in fact, I just looked it up, there are 27 military bases in the state of Virginia... it is a very tiny state... I have no idea how to figure out or measure this but I do know at least in my case that I have to eat 1 can of oysters every day or sleep is screwed... you can also when you get your labs measure unbound vitamin A - vitamin A will be high because it is unbound... another one to measure is DHEA/vitamin d and that will tell you how bad your "pregnenalone steal" is... see the hormones 101 post for more info on hormones - stress kills because it uses up electrons/vitamin C because vitamin C are cofactors in making the stress hormones - you can try a product called "Zinc status" and if you can taste it within 10 seconds, your zinc levels are fine - I've only had one guy pass this test - he was a high school swimmer - everyone is low in zinc at this point - also, if you are low in hormones, and menapausal, using progesterone cream at night is fantastic -

ELLEN M. likes this.
  3. Hi Penny,
    Thanks for all of your thoughts. Nice of you to take the time! I actually eat fresh oysters at least 3 times a week. We regularly buy a case of about 60 oysters from our local fish market. I am definitely not diabetic, thank goodness. I do get my vitamin D and DHEA measured when I do my labs and I have done that zinc test many times over the years. Right now I am on a deuterium depleting diet, I drink deuterium depleted water, and I am waiting for deuterium test results to come back. One of my goals is to get my health to a point where I can get off of my bio-identical hormones. I get tested about every 4 months to make sure that my hormone levels are in the right ranges, and they are. You are so kind to take the time to write all of this.

4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

My 79th birthday was a few days ago.
    I am drinking DDW. Started 12/11/2017 as DDW-108ppm
    Now only DDW-25
    The last test results, kit #8 are on (3 Qlarivia + 1)='=(3*25+1*150)/4=56.25ppm

Dr. Boros wants to see 7-10 ppm difference between breath and saliva.
    I am not even close to that.
    I am testing breath and urine and here my results.

upload_2019-6-4_19-21-29.png

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    ELLEN M. likes this.
  5. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Thora and welcome to journal land!

I have tried to solve some sleep issues with listening to music before bed and while trying to fall asleep,

Big fail .... something to do with the tempo that music is played at these days.

I think we should suspect everything.......

Thora Pomicter likes this.
  6. Happy birthday! Looks like you are on the right track with deuterium depletion. I am looking forward to seeing my results.

7. Hi Caroline,
    I agree. So many people these days have sleep issues and I am so determined to solve mine but it sure is a long road.

8. Penny

Penny New Member

So, here are a few of my sleep hacks that I got mostly from JK: salt, l-serine,cold shower before bed and leave your hair wet, run a UV light and red light for awhile - I hate to say it but I seem to sleep great with a UV light on and a black out mask... anything that converts WAT into BAT making you "metabolically active" - like Oregon Grape Root, olive leaf (I just chew on the leaves), bitter melon, cold thermogenesis:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6336830/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3927866/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21439945

All of these things enable me to go long periods of time without eating... so they would enable you to sleep longer...
    Epsom Salt soaks are also good - but the omega 3 fatty acids in seafood enable the posterior pituitary to work better - i.e. oxytocyn and antidiaretic hormone
    You should read this:
    https://jackkruse.com/ubiquitination-7-paleos-bitter-truth/

You have to eat seafood so your eye clock runs faster than your organ clocks so everything is orchestrated correctly by the brain...

9. Thanks again for your comments, Penny. I appreciate it!

10. Emma C

Emma C Titanium

Thora, it is so nice to read other's journey! Seems like you have done a lot!!!

When you wake in the night, do you have any issues other than being hot?

Also, have you done your full 23 and me? Any comments on your "uncoupling" or needed location? Seems to me, that your move (although it was south) was not good for you. Have you tried any of Jack's suggestions of heading to Mexico for a bit to see what that does to your sleep? Sounds like you're doing so much right and still struggling, I can hear Jack echoing "you can't get well in the environment that made you sick".

This, of course, is coming from someone who has not yet moved ;) but as I lay outside in the middle of the night thinking I was going to vomit (awoken from a deep sleep with nausea - normal for me) I thought...."I should probably try a new location"

Do you use a primary care to run all of the labs you mentioned or does your husband order those?

caroline and Thora Pomicter like this.
  11. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Selenium deficiency increases plasma T4 and decreases T3
    ========================
    In patients with
    Hashimoto’s disease and in pregnant women with anti-TPO antibodies,
    selenium supplementation decreases anti-thyroid antibody levels and improves the ultrasound structure of the thyroid gland.
    “(1)

[​IMG]

http://jeffreydachmd.com/2014/01/selenium-thyroid-good-news/

===============================================================
    sleep (and headache)

check your progesterone level
    specially in the first half of menstrual cycle (when it should be low but present,
    1.5ng/ml)(equal to normal in men)

If low supplement before bed time.

upload_2019-6-6_9-18-58.png
    ========================
    ====================================================

Lugols 2%
    1mL/day

upload_2019-6-6_9-26-45.png

====================================================
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/pg-e2-ratio.6427/page-4#post-195937

upload_2019-6-6_9-24-35.png

12. Hi Emma,
    The only other issue is that I get very anxious because I know that I should be sleeping. LOL.
    I am not going to do a 23 and Me because I know too much about the nefarious intention behind that company. If you are interested in that, I can tell you moe, but there is no way I am giving anyone my DNA information. They actually sell your info and you agree to it when you sign their terms.

I also could hear Jack saying I need to move, but actually I believe that my health fell apart because all of the toxicity I lived under in Vermont for 30 years set me up for what happened to me and our move was very traumatic for me, so the stress just pushed me over the edge. I have healed immensely since then and the only issue I still have is my sleep, but I have had that my whole life. So I don't think it was this environment that made me sick. I am curious and open to hearing what Jack has to say about why this is a bad environment, but the Shenandoah Valley is pretty big and where we are is in a low population density, we are in a valley protected by national forest, and we only have one neighbor who is somewhat close to us. We don't have a lot of cell towers and other things that would cause concern. Given that I turned my health around in just a couple of years in such a huge way, I would have to really understand why Jack is saying what he does, but so far, no response. I know he is a busy guy though and Ed and I are researching on our own to see if we can figure out why Jack would say what he did. I can't wait around for his answer without trying to figure it out for myself. LOL.

My husband runs all of my labs. I don't trust any of the primary care docs around here, as there is no one who thinks outside of the box or who knows as much as my husband does about this stuff in our area. I have not gone to Mexico. I am extremely affected by air travel and airports and airplanes are one of the most toxic environments ever.

Thank you for your thoughts. It would be fun to meet you and your husband since you are so close.

Emma C likes this.
  13. Hey there!
    I do take Lugol's and have read Dr. Brownstein's book and heard him on podcasts. I also do measure my progesterone as well as testosterone and DHEA about every 4 months and am currently on bio-identical hormones. Thank you for all of that info though!

14. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

Yes, sleep is a big deal, but you shouldn't lose sleep worrying about it.

Since, according to your story, you apparently have been trying to do everything right with regard to health it is a little disconcerting that you are still hitting a wall when it comes to a good night's sleep.

We are all n=1 creatures when it comes to sleep issues, and it is good to hear the many other Krusian ideas in forum on sleep, or lack of it.

If you are getting to sleep at sunset and waking at around 1 am that still means you are getting at least 4 hours of core sleep (including restorative deep cycle sleep). It is no surprise you have trouble getting back to sleep after core sleep is done--- the eliminative organs (liver, gall bladder, intestines) are working hard at that time of night (a few hours after midnight) to clear body waste and toxins to prepare for next day. If you have a high toxic body burden this can be an obstacle, I think, to restful sleep.

I have found this to be true in my n=1 case. If my body is going through a periodic detox event I tend to wake early in morning feeling very hot, with some cramping in gut. Otherwise, I sleep pretty well.

As someone else mentioned, cortisol spikes at night can ruin a good nights sleep, and among other things keep your mind racing at 100 mph most of night.

Thanks for sharing, and good luck.

15. Emma C

Emma C Titanium

I would LOVE to hear more about 23&me! I'll message you!

16. Ed Pomicter

Ed Pomicter New Member

Down the rabbit hole........

a) look at Jack's posts on the history of modern medicine.
    b) your genetic fingerprint is your most private information
    c) why are Google, Facebook, Youtube, etc free
    d) why is a complex genetic test so cheap
    e) are the services being provided the product or are you and your data the product?
    f) who is Ann Wojcicki? WHo is Susan Wojcicki?
    g) what is In-Q-Tell?
    h) what businesses has In-Q-Tell funded?
    I) does this tie in to 5G and the internet of things?
    j) does your genetic material encode the pattern of your proteins...those little antennae?
    etc.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

We live because of energy.
    All if not most of energy came on earth from sun.
    Life started at the depts of the ocean, (seafloor hydrothermal vents), where sunlight does not shine but heat is released.
    Human life started on Equator (or tropical area).
    In tropics most energy humans use comes directly from sunlight (and some carbohydrates).
    As human life propagated out from tropics, we got less solar energy (less sunlight, latter clothing was added).
    The difference in awailable energy had to be made up.
    We do that in most efficient way using fat.

Uncoupled and coupled haplotypes use energy in different ways.

This is a place where dr Boros reminds us the scorpions, snakes, latter cammels, use thier body's fat stores to cope with lack of water.
    You can watch/read the rest of the story in attached files that have links to videos with dr Boros and dr Q and my notes of them.

The end result of above is that:
    @Jack Kruse (to maximize available energy) suggested to dr Boros that he should add relocation to tropics to increase amount of available energy that he currently is getting from:
    drinking only 20-25cc/day water
    and
    eating mostly fat (I think pork and olive oil).
    And sunlight at his CA location.
    To his customers/patients at
    ddcenters.com
    he suggests reducing drinking to 3cups/day=0.71liters/day

Reduction in drinking water affects ADH (AntiDiureticHormone)
    eventually more matrix water is produced in mitochondria.
    It is not about ATP or water but about heat=energy which is released during H & O synthesis.

=================
    You husband is a doctor. @Ed Pomicter

I am wondering why dr Boros have chosen pork fat and olive oil (as likely) the most efficient fuel.

Anyhow
    coconut oil and (possibly) MCT oils should be a part of fat intake.

18. Ed Pomicter

Ed Pomicter New Member

I know that there is a Russian paper on deuterium content of food (which I am trying to get ahold of and will have somebody translate). In the abstract it has that potato has the highest Deuterium content of foods tested and pork fat the lowest.

Thora Pomicter and Emma C like this.
  19. Emma C

Emma C Titanium

Ugh...I LOVE potatoes! In fact, in high school it was the ONLY food I ate. Maybe I should get my deuterium tested ;)

But I also love pork fat!

20. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I am cooking my pork bellies sous vide style using freezer bags.
    Wondering about cooking in plastic?
    The advantage is that it is very tender and tasty and all is in the bag, nothing evaporated or lost otherwise.

upload_2019-6-6_12-41-55.png .