1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

I'm learning...by diane

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by diane, Dec 8, 2012.

1. diane

diane Gold

So after almost a year of reading the blog and forum, I decided to start a journal. Not sure if I will post every day as I have a habit of thinking something is a good idea and then not following through LOL. But what I really wanted was a place to put down some of the things I'm learning and finding, and it doesn't always fit well in the other threads.

So here we go.

I've been on a "quest" to feel better over the last couple of years, and while I feel there's been pretty constant forward momentum, it's still a journey. I started out because of weight gain (especially after 40 and around my middle), brain fog, fatigue (where I almost needed to sleep under my desk every day), joint pain, heartburn, lack of energy, grumpiness, terrible cravings and night eating (and I guess what's called bingeing - but not sure) and not feeling like I was living to my potential. Add to that constant congestion and ringing ears which drives me crazy.

I found pretty early on that I have gluten, sugar and dairy issues. Then found I have many other food issues, none of which was really a surprise to me. About 3 years ago I found paleo, which was pretty much how I found that I needed to eat before I knew what it was called. Except I didn't add as much fat. But I would be able to eat what I knew I should for about 3 months at a time, then fell off pretty much completely. Would feel horrible again, get fed up with feeling that way and back on. I'm tired of that pattern too.

So far, I think the biggest change I've made has to do with meal timing and light. I notice huge changes if I don't have breakfast - like yesterday. I had to get blood tests in the morning, so had to fast. But then was off to meetings, and didn't bring anything with me. Well, last night I ate most of the night, for the first time in a couple of months. Plus, I feel so much better when I finish eating by 6:30 or so. It's hard for me to eat much earlier with traffic and getting home, and then taking the dogs out. Plus I have a full time job and a business on the side, which can get pretty busy. 

Changing to epi-paleo has been a great change as well. I've noticed differences in my skin and my mood. The recently I added more fat, which really has helped with the cravings. 

The weight hasn't started to go down yet - but while sometimes it's the hardest to face (because it's visual), I try not to make it the most important thing. Because I know that there needs to be health in order for the body to respond. However, over the last few days, I've noticed my waist and hips going down a little bit. There's a little more room in my pants - so something is happening. 

I did a consult with Dr. K a couple of months ago and it was amazing. Crazy as it sounds, it's taken me a couple of months to find an anti-aging doctor, schedule an appointment (that took almost 2 months because she's so booked, and then I had to reschedule once. Boo), get to my doctor for blood tests (which was another scheduling nightmare). And then wait for day 20 of my cycle (day 21 is a saturday and labs aren't open) for tests. That was yesterday. So hopefully will have a better idea of what's going on in the next couple of weeks. My last labs were about a year and a half ago. They were pretty thorough thanks to my naturopath who suggested them, and my doctor who went along with them. Although 15 vials of blood later, I almost passed out LOL. Yesterday I needed 8 so they made me lie down. [​IMG]

I love Dr. K's blogs, and as I work my way through them, my understanding increases. That's what I want for myself - to be able to get it. [​IMG] I think what I truly have understood is how important it is to try things for yourself and then see what works. Plus have patience because not everything happens right away. Which can be frustrating, especially with the weight part. But life is definitely a journey. I think it helps because I teach people the same thing, just about dogs, not health. Quick fixes usually aren't, and if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. What I actually teach is how to gain knowledge - that's more powerful than a quick fix.

So hopefully I can post here with some regularity! LOL.

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

I loved reading your post Diane.  I can relate to so much of it - probably most.  The biggest change for me too - is figuring it out for myself - but then - Dr. Kruse has given us the tools.  For the last 8 or 10 years I have been seeking help from Doctors for a lot of stuff you talk about.  They always ran the run of the mill tests and then said I was okay.  I look back now and realize my questions were the right ones and I pretty much had nailed the problems - so my intuition was correct - but nobody took me seriously.

Light for me is huge too and adding more fat and raw are the big ones.  

If you are anything like me - I have probably every diet book ever written. You get so hopeful that this will be the one and it never was.  Now I can figure it out for myself - so empowering!  

Good luck to all of us!  We deserve to be all that we can be ......and we need to require that of ourselves.  It takes a lot of work and thought and purpose - but we are so worth it.  All of this has been so liberating hasn't it?   And Also - the most important thing -- I am having the time of my life......WHO KNEW????    .........   actually Dr. K did!

3. endless

endless New Member

I can totally relate to your story! I have found the waiting a bit frustrating too....finding the doc, getting the tests, etc. I am ALMOST in possession of an actual prescription (next week!) so I'm pretty excited about that.

4. diane

diane Gold

Thanks! Absolutely Caroline - we definitely deserve to be all that we can be. On one hand, it's too bad that it took me this long to realize that, but on the other, I'm so glad I did it now! I've also been working with a therapist, which has really helped. If nothing more than to help me realize that there is a different perspective out there. And the biggest change has been the change with my self talk - which has been huge!

Good luck with getting the prescription endless! Fingers crossed for you!

When I tested my cortisol and melatonin levels in April, they were abysmal. It's like I could barely get out of bed, and according to the chart, I had "phase 2" adrenal fatigue. I felt a bit of despair - like how the hell am I going to fix this. When I spoke to Dr. K, he said I wasn't getting enough quality sleep. So I started wearing the blue blockers, turning the lights out and going to bed earlier. A sleep mask helped so much because in the city, even with light blocking blinds, light still does get in. And in a couple of weeks, I wasn't trying to crawl under the desk for a 2pm nap. So wonder if it was adrenal fatigue at all - or just lack of good sleep. Now I can pretty much tell when my sleep is off. But, I've also noticed that if I do eat a bit late or get too much light in an evening, I don't feel nearly as bad as I did. Now that's progress! [​IMG]

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

I seem to be on a similar path Diane. Following the light cycles has been so huge in feeling better and sleeping better. I have just had more tests done and awaiting results - can't wait! My am and pm cortisol was very low and progesterin was/is horribly low. Are you on cytomel? trying to track that down here. There is a lot of similarities between Canada and Australia as far as health care goes. Within 3 days of my consult with Dr. K. - I had a great new Doc and scripts in hand and he also listened to my consult. I was incredibly lucky. I think that really empowered me.

6. diane

diane Gold

I'm not on anything right now. I did ask my doctor about Metformin, and she is on board. Just wants to make sure that my kidney's are ok, then will write the prescription. She says she uses it for blood glucose but also for irregular periods. Just so happens that mine have gone wonky since I did the light stuff - really long, heavier, and either shorter cycle or longer cycle. Happy coincidence I think!

Yes, I think Australia and Canada are very similar. There are many supplements we can't get here as well, like DHEA. We seem more progressive on one side, yet more conservative in many more ways. It's funny - when I got my blood tests, I had to pay to get a Vitamin D panel and IGF-1. Sounds funny that someone has deemed that you have to pay for these yourself! Vitamin D would seem to be one that could be important - especially in Canada!

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

Diane - at least you can slip over the border and get what you need.  JK said Dhea and pregnenolone are sold over the counter.  he says to go for a road trip and take a suitcase!  I got the idea yesterday to start saving vitamin etc. bottles and then bring them when I go to the USA next time.  so I would just get DHEA etc. and put it in my own bottles.  That should work.  we used to be masters at smuggling clothes over the border!!!

I can get DHEA and preg from a weird little vitamin shop here but it is so expensive  - $50.00 a bottle and hit and miss.  I don't know how they get it thru customs but somehow some comes thru.  They had a bottle of DHEA saved for me but one of the part timers sold it accidently so now I am waiting yet again.                                                                                                                                                                   We used to spend a lot of time shopping in Niagara Falls N.Y. years ago - the good old days - eh???  I have a daughter in Oakville and alot of my husbands family are in Dunnville  and Hamilton.

We will have to have coffee when I get back there!

8. diane

diane Gold

Definitely! Please let me know when you are here!

Yes, the border is pretty convenient. I usually end up in Buffalo to shop, but have been to the outlet malls in Niagara Falls as well. I got some DHEA in August, no pregnenolone - we'll see what I need after my labs!

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

Definitely! Please let me know when you are here!

Yes, the border is pretty convenient. I usually end up in Buffalo to shop, but have been to the outlet malls in Niagara Falls as well. I got some DHEA in August, no pregnenolone - we'll see what I need after my labs!

I had forgotten about that gorgeous mall in Buffalo! We used to often fly out of Buffalo - so would go early and shop! I have the most gorgeous pair of Prada shoes that I paid $40.00 for. You would not believe the prices in Australia - they are mind blowing. A brand of jeans that I like used to be $350.00 -$400.00 here. I can order them out of California for $160.00 and they are delivered free in 4 or 5 days. They have brought the prices more in line here now because they are losing so much business to online shopping. We are lucky - we don't have to pay the GST on online shopping but the powers that be are trying to change that now instead of just getting in the game.

10. diane

diane Gold

A little while back, someone asked me where I'm happiest. At first, I wasn't sure. Then I realized - I'm happiest when I'm outside. I know that sounds a bit broad, but I really am happiest when I'm out in the fresh air. I think that's why I love spending time with my dogs so much - they keep me in touch with nature. It's so important to me that they are treated like dogs and not people. Someone asked me if they were my children. I answered no, they're my dogs. That's healthy was the response. No - that should be normal! LOL

One of my favourite activities is hiking with the dogs, and we do it regularly. They love it too of course. We just went on a great one today, and I brought along another dog I was looking after. Now they're passed out snoring. That's the sign of a great time! My dogs are amazing off leash - I can walk them anywhere off leash, either in the woods or downtown. So I work hard to make sure that there needs are met and they get lots of interaction with nature. 

Which has made me realize that I'm likely going to have to move soon. All of the hiking trails are 45 minutes to an hour away, and I would love to be closer. Plus, think that I need to get away from the city - it's time. Which would also give the dogs a back yard. Not that I think they need it, because believe me we get out and about every day for an hour ++. But it would just add some additional space to chill and play.

I've gone to bed pretty late the last couple of nights - actually after midnight. Quite a while since I've done that. And the surprising thing is that I haven't been trashed the next day. I think the D-Rhibose is helping with that to be honest.

One thing I've noticed is how long my nails have been getting. Holy cow - they grow like weeds! And I'm not sure they've ever been stronger. It's crazy.

Now, it may just be time for a nap. LOL.

11. Priscilla

Priscilla Gold

Hi, Diane,

I love your journal and you may inspire me to start one too.  I've been primarily a lurker for almost a year (more than that if one counts the MDA Monster Thread).

A lot of your issues are mine as well. Cravings, wheat-sugar-dairy issues, length of time to find a good doc and get tested etc (I won't get my reports back until Jan. 2).  Plus loving the outdoors.

Before I read this, I was thinking that I need to connect more here and get the support of this awesome community. thanks for inspiring me!

12. diane

diane Gold

That's awesome Priscilla! It took me a while to share too LOL. I think that community is one of the key messages of Dr. K as well - sprinkled here and there throughout the blog and forum.

There's a great book called Change or Die about what inspires lasting change. There's some really great examples of successful and unsuccessful change. But one of the keys is community and sharing with like minded people.

So Priscilla - I look forward to seeing more from you! [​IMG]

13. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Hi Diane.  Nice journal.  Just wanted to say that growing nails is a good sign towards leptin sensitivity iirc.  Don't know where other things are at for you but that is at least 1 on the list.

14. diane

diane Gold

Thanks vkiernan. And that's good to know about the nails! I had been keeping them short because they would break, but now might just see how long they can get lol.

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

Nails getting thicker/stronger happened for me too. I was so impressed because I always had the worst nails ever. I had a wonderful doc (internist) many many years ago. He was such a lovely man and an old fashioned kind of doctor. He always inspected my fingernails and toenails very carefully. I always thought intuitively that that was such a smart thing to do.

16. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Priscilla. I love your name! I look forward to reading your journal. It is such a great time to do it since you are getting your labs. Then if need be someone can help you decipher them. I wish I had started one a year ago. It is so good to be able to talk to like minded people. My friends all basically think that I am a little crazy and wouldn't give up their cake and wine for anything even tho they have lots of health issues.

17. diane

diane Gold

Oh poo. I had a post all typed out and lost it. So trying again.

I guess it comes down to not what you're giving up, but what you're gaining. And what the thing you're giving up actually makes you feel worse - doesn't feel so bad.

I love coffee. About 3 years ago I figured out that it really impacts my energy through the day. I've been off for months at a time, but will then go for a weekend drinking it. Since I got my sleep in order, I have realized that coffee impacts my sleep more than I thought. So it really isn't good for me, but I do love it so. I've been doing bulletproof green tea instead. There's wicked flavoured green tea just down the street from me, so I love trying new flavours. Then put butter and coconut oil in my Vitamix. Yum. There's also been a big difference doing this in how hungry I am later in the day. Yes, fat was definitely helpful. I love finding these things that work - every piece is one step further. Wait, thought that would turn out to be very wise, but just didn't come off right LOL.

A co-worker has recently lost quite a bit of weight on Weight Watchers. It pains me so hearing her lament about fat, while eating brownies (cause they're only 2 points) and complaining how hungry she is all the time. And how she hates her diet. I lost 25 lbs on WW a few years ago, and was pretty tiny (wore a size 4 pants). But that came back. And more. And I know how it's wreaking havoc for later. But it's still hard to say anything that I'm doing, especially the shape I'm in now. I want to be a success story! Oh crap - I am already a success story. If I compare how I feel now vs. over a year ago, there's a huge difference. There were days I could barely make it through I was so tired. I had a hard time getting out of bed. And while I'm still not back to my "old self", hell, I have a lot more energy and haven't felt drained during the day for quite a while. So that's a major WIN! 

One thing I would still like to fix is the fact that I'm out of breath when I go up stairs. It's not that I'm out of shape, but my throat is closed and it's hard to breathe. Over a year ago, I went to a holistic allergist and found there were a number of foods I was allergic to. When I eliminated them, it was amazing the cardio capacity I had. Almost overnight. But now it's back, and I would like to figure out how to resolve it. On the other side, my eyes have pretty much stopped watering which was an issue. They would run down my face as I drove to work and actually impaired my vision many days. So some things resolved, some things yet to fix. Guess I'm never satisfied, eh. Always want more! LOL. Guess that's why I'm on a journey!  [​IMG]

18. endless

endless New Member

I have to try the bulletproof green tea...coffee is not something my body likes either!
    When do you take the D-Ribose? I'm going to give that a try as well.

19. diane

diane Gold

I take D-Rhibose in the morning. I haven't experimented throughout the day - and definitely haven't tried later in the day as I'm not sure if it will keep me up as I do feel an energy surge.

Funny - I used to think that I could drink coffee any time of day and it didn't affect me. But I didn't realize how poor my sleep was! Now I know better! LOL.

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

I don't know if this is something that you want to think about I bought a nespresso machine a year os so ago and I really love it but it becomes very expensive. I tried a different machine that uses much cheaper pods and noticed my sleep was so much worse even if I only had one very early in the morning. When I cleaned out the pod holder it was full of mould - tons of mould everywhere. That sort of supports what the coffee guys says. Doesn't he say the very best coffee won't bother you and he talks a lot about mold. So I am back to my nespresso and enjoying every drop as a. BPC