1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

I'm getting nasty heartburn at night

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by janagram, Apr 9, 2012.

1. janagram

janagram New Member

Nasty heartburn at night! Not sure what to do. I take one betaine tablet with brkfst, but that's all. Do I need to take more? Or with all food? Orrrrr...is it the coffee....??? I kinda suspect it is but it helps a lot with appetite.....I have one cup a day with heavy cream, mmm.

2. joyfuljoyful

joyfuljoyful New Member

I have also been getting heartburn in the evenings for the past 5 nights or so.....Not much has changed as far as diet. I almost wondered if it was related to CT! Are you doing CT? I have taken Zantac a few times because it was so uncomfortable.

3. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Have you tried having your coffee with something besides heavy cream in it? It could very easily be the dairy giving you heartburn. Sure does so for me!

4. janagram

janagram New Member

hmmm, ealachan, good point!

5. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

I had heartbrun after 4-5 months on a Primal diet... started taking 2 tbs of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water 30 min before my meals, and that fixed it.

6. janagram

janagram New Member

wow, that's interesting, glamorama!

So far, tonite I haven't experienced it....plus I took enzymes with dinner.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Just maybe your stomach is not acidic enough to digest animal meat. I would think Glamorama's suggestion might work for you. I am a blood type O and the only time I would have problems with heartburn at night is when I use to eat animal protein and starches. Also too much vinegar is not good for me as a type O so the same protocol that Glamorama would use would not fit me. Thank goodness starches are all in the past.

8. edance83@yahoo.com

edance83@yahoo.com New Member

Glam is right. Anything with vinegar will stop acid reflux/heartburn. You can use apple cidar vin, reg vin, or even mustard (it has ving). But, I'd def start testing to see what food does it to you. For me it's any kind of tomato sauce type of thing. I can eat tomatoes themselves fine and even crushed tomatoes or salsa (unless it's made w/ tom paste) just fine though. It's weird. :)

9. Owl

Owl New Member

You need to take more HCL, with every meal that has protein. One capsule is not enough is you're having heartburn.

"If the first dose of Betaine HCL produced no noticeable stomach discomfort, try taking two capsules at the start of your next meal, again monitor for burning and or heaviness during and after eating. If taking two capsules produces some discomfort, but one capsule does not, restrict yourself to one capsule at the start of each meal. If the two capsule dose produced no discomfort, try three capsules at the start of your next meal.

If all goes well when taking three capsules at the start of each meal, stay with that dosage, most individuals will not require increasing the dosage to four capsules. Regular use of supplemental hydrochloric acid will in most cases "re-train" the stomach to produce higher concentrations of acid on its own. This process may take anywhere from several weeks to several months, depending on the individual. The most significant indication that acid production is improving is that Betaine HCL supplementation can no longer be comfortably tolerated.

An Example:

After having used the Betaine HCL for eleven weeks, at a dosage of two capsules per meal, without any discomfort, Joan now notices that she feels a burning sensation when taking the two capsules. She therefore reduces her dosage to one capsule at mealtime. After several more weeks, even one capsule per meal produces burning and Joan discontinues altogether. This is a sign that the stomach has been re-trained to produce adequate concentrations of hydrochloric acid without the further need for supplementation.

When consuming meals that contain little or no protein, much less hydrochloric acid is needed by the stomach to process its contents."

10. janagram

janagram New Member

thanks, owl. will implement.