1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

IgG vs IgA food testing

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by vkiernan, Jul 12, 2013.

1. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I have now had the Enterolab (IgA) and the ELISA (IgG) food testing. Eggs and dairy showed very strong reactions to on both so they are a no go. But, on the Enterolabs test, it showed a reaction to pork, chicken and tuna but the ELISA showed no reaction. I realize that these tests are from different perspectives within our bodies but now I'm not sure if I can eat those meats or not. My question to anyone out there is what is the real difference and how do I interpret?:confused:

Thanks for any input!

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Here's what I found:
    "IgE, IgG, and IgA are acronyms for the three different kinds of antibodies produced by the immune system in allergic reactions to food Conventional allergy testing looks for IgE reactions only. These types of reactions typically occur immediately after contact with or ingestion of the allergen, and in some cases can cause serious, even fatal, health problems. Potential IgE reactions include swelling of the lips and tongue, hives, bloating, abdominal pain, or sudden diarrhea. These are the reactions that people usually think of when they hear the word allergy. However, IgE reactions can also be delayed, and can lead to many other symptoms not traditionally recognized as being caused by food allergies.

The problem with the standard food allergy tests, run by most allergists, is that most food allergies are not IgE reactions, but are rather IgG reactions or sometimes IgA reactions, such as in celiac disease. The IgG and IgA reactions usually show up hours or even days after ingestion of the allergen. They are generally not nearly as dramatic as the more severe IgE reactions, and usually result in “mere” constipation, diarrhea, bloating, gas and abdominal pain. All three antibodies are important, and food allergy testing should include them or the cause of IBS may be missed."

I would say that for the foods you have an IgG response to, you should probably eliminate them. Same for the IgA responses. You're having a different response at a different IgG/IgA response depending on the food. some of which are causing a response to both IgG/IgA.

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

4. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Thanks much! I had read that if you have an IgA response that you should "never" eat that food again and with the IgG, you might be able to later. Hoping that's not entirely true.