1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

If you use almond flour, the paleo darling, be careful.

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by Jack Kruse, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Christina Gagnon

Christina Gagnon New Member

@Inger I think you mentioned in another post that coconut flour biscuits are an OK alternative to bread. Do you happen to have a recipe? I looked online nad some include baking powder which I don't think it very healthy.

2. Christine_L

Christine_L New Member

OH Man! I am not at all surprised now that I have been using almond flour frequently in the last year. Been using almond flour for raw cookie dough cookies and pancakes.... wonder if this contributes my belly bloating issue?

3. Jenelle

Jenelle Gold

Zero doubt.

Christine_L and drezy like this.
  4. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

All these paleo friendly flours and nut butters are still highly processed. And I'm gonna go on a limb and say their processing adds deuterium in some way.

drezy likes this.
  5. Inger

Inger Silver

Christina I do not do any cookies or stuff anymore really... They do not make me feel that great... but very occasionally, if I do eat a threat made of nuts, I can tolerate it just fine. I guess it is because I very seldom eat that kind of stuff. It is better to just wean off the need to eat threats.
    Instead, be silent, look why you feel the need to eat of it. Look real deep! Often it is an inner restlessness, something you want to run away from. Some painful or uncomfortable emotions. Just stay with them instead, and observe, be present. Way wiser that grabbing something to eat ;) :)
    But if you really want to use them I would say, get as fresh as possible, coconut flour should be really good quality one, and almond flour - just make it yourself from good quality (raw, organic and fresh, not too old) almonds.
    I really think everyone is different how you tolerate it, where you live, what season it is....
    Just be aware how it makes you feel. And WHY you think you need it.
    If you feel any discomfort after eating it then just let it be :)

Also the more aware you become of your body, how it reacts, what does it good and what not, it becomes easier and easier to do the right choices :) :)

You should not feel your belly at all... it should be just comfortable, soft, silent....happy...
    then it is right :)

6. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Inger, I love what you say and how you say it. :love: Very wise! (And slightly easier living on your own?)

That said...

I (or more accurately my family) am still very much in the low carb/paleo/epi-paleo transition phase. My husband and I have both lost weight (30-40 pounds) with basic low-carb years ago. I kept most of most of my weight off with yoga and mindful eating, while he keeps yo-yo-ing with stress/emotional eating.

I still have some processed low carb and paleo foods in my cabinets. I ditched artificial sweeteners and other horribly fake stuff at least 7 years ago (still cringe at the Splenda I sometimes used, duped by “It’s made from sugar...”o_O) but still have some flours, butters, seasonings, etc.

I still have some high-carb stuff too. I love to cook and bake, and while 90% of what I make these days is healthy paleo, I’m still not there yet with three bottomless pit mouths (usually equating my food with love...) That will change once they leave for college next week.

(Side-track: Plus if we actually DO need to survive on stored food any time soon I’m pretty sure we’d be fine for months if we could get water from the well and fend off the raiding hordes...:eek:)

Yes, I know, if I REALLY loved them I wouldn’t feed them ANY crap. I know this but they don’t get it yet. And they have zero serious (noticeable) health effects from a high carb diet. Aside from hub’s 40 extra pounds, 15 of which he must lose over the next month for his employer’s financial incentive health goals...

My thoughts are definitely changing to living close to the land, for all the reasons. But I still have all this stuff to use up, and I’m too frugal to toss it.

This is my very long-winded way of saying...I made some damn coconut flour biscuits this weekend. Used baking soda instead of baking powder, and they turned out fine. Not at all like fluffy buttermilk biscuits of course, but fine for soaking up juices and having something to crunch. I’d make them a bit smaller, flatter and spikier next time for more crunch. And there will be a next time because I have 5 pounds...

1/2 cup coconut flour
    4 large eggs (or 5 small-medium)
    1/4 to 1/3 cup melted butter
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic (optional)

Mix well, adding more melted butter if it seems too dry. Spoon out 7 or 8 rough rounds onto ungreased baking sheet. They only puff a little so can be close together.

Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes. Spread with more butter and dip into some yummy, fatty sauce.

...And bear with me as I transition... :whistle:

88230CB3-3A4E-4231-B74A-B42F35ECC82B.jpeg

Christine_L likes this.
  7. Christine_L

Christine_L New Member

8. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

You know, they do LOOK good, but no matter how you try to butter them up they’re really just kinda dry, eggy, soggy...disappointing....

Substitutes.

I need to keep reminding myself that there’s no substitute for pure protein and a little veg, well spiced and sauced.

And I also need to figure out how to fill that void for my family without food (and fancy drinks).

There used to be an Epi-Paleo RX e-cookbook. I wonder why it was discontinued.

drezy likes this.
  9. drezy

drezy Gold

Paleo birthday cake every day, right?

I don't think it works that way but everyone is entitled to their own n=1.

10. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Really just need to get down to it and invest in a shit load of grass-fed protein for the freezer. I love buying from the farmer’s market every week but the economy of scale in getting a half cow, pig, lamb just makes sense, right?

And what DO you do about birthdays and other occasional celebrations? Does your son still get his weekly reward donut?