1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

If you are going through hell, keep going

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Cuffy, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

I figure it's an aperture thing. I can often read outside in strong sunlight without glasses but with difficulty if at all inside no matter how bright the lights seem to be. Sunlight is really that much brighter.

Cuffy likes this.
  2. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

All the more reason for me to stay outside as much as possible.

I sometimes wonder if my readers have been training my eyes to be lazy. When I was younger my eyesight was constantly looking much farther away. But in the last decade or so of work life, my focus has significantly decreased to around 18" away. I wonder if the Bates method is any good.

Duane Baumgartner likes this.
  3. caroline

caroline Moderator

I think some people here have had success with the Bates method.

Cuffy likes this.
  4. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Reason #2 to spend more time outside: I really can read without my +2.00 glasses.

In other news, I just purchased an original Cool Fat Burner and Cool Gut Buster!

Next month (October) will bring perfect mid-50s ocean temps for swimming/CT. Then I'll have to wait until next May and June.

I feel really good today, like a metabolic switch has flipped.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Lahelada likes this.
  5. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I just realized that I've been wearing a Fitbit 24x7, primarily to get data on my poor sleep, not realizing that the constant Bluetooth connection to my iPhone may very well have been one reason my sleep was so poor.

I removed the Fitbit to stash it away somewhere, when I noticed the the inner back of the bezel was flashing a pulsating green light. I assume this was caused by the wristband curling inward, and the device was looking for a heartbeat to track. I just chucked a $200 device into the trash (along with my previous 2 versions).

I'll miss its silent alarm, but I tend to wake up at the same time every day, anyway. Buh-bye.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    caroline and Lahelada like this.
  6. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Coincidence? Last night, Fitbit free for the first in five years, I slept a full 8 hours without waking once or getting up to pee. It has been years, maybe a decade or more since I slept through an entire night. I usually become restless around 2AM, but I woke up this morning in the same position in which retired--I even still had my Ra Optics on.

Ironic, sad, and frustrating that a device I'd purchased to help improve my health may have been a primary contributor to unresolved symptoms during that same interval.

caroline, Phosphene, Dave Key and 5 others like this.
  7. Alex97232

Alex97232 Gold

me too.

8. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

After several days free from allergies/histamine reactions (95% carnivorous food plan), I tempted fate last night and had Brussels sprouts with sauteed onion and garlic. A few hours later, I experienced a mighty honkfest.

Kicking all plant matter to the curb for a few weeks. I'll get my micronutrients from liver and seafood. Looking forward to shit on a shingle, though ;--)

caroline likes this.
  9. LOL You got this girl!!

Cuffy likes this.
  10. caroline

caroline Moderator

I would really struggle with onions and Brussel sprouts.....yikes!

Cuffy likes this.
  11. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Right! I'm wondering if I've developed a FODMAP sensitivity (though alliums and cruciferous veggies were never a problem in the past). I assumed FODMAPs cause digestion problems, not sneezing.

Food intolerance and poor sleep mess with stress, and I won't heal if my adrenals are continually working overtime.

12. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I disabled the 5G network at my house, so our only option is the 2.4 GHz, which provides excellent speed/performance. Not that it matters, since we're hard wired now. The tech I spoke with at my ISP said they wouldn't be phasing out the slower network for at least 5 years, probably more like 10.

Meanwhile, a BAB is filling me with tons of energy. Finally. Or maybe it's the morning sun on my skin.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Phosphene likes this.
  13. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I'd been avoiding the sun for so many years, I forgot what it felt like to get most of my skin under its rays. During the last 2 weeks, I have built up my solar callus, and I. Feel. Great.

I downloaded the vitamin D tracker app Jack mentioned in his 2016 Nourish Vermont talk. I sat outside today reading Ott's Health and Light. (And surprisingly absorbed only 11 IU per hour--so much for what the pundits say.)

caroline and Phosphene like this.
  14. JanSz

JanSz Gold

vitamin D tracker app

trust but verify
    Have your vit D tested periodically.
    While at it test
    fasting insulin----- and aim at 3 or less

15. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Thanks, @JanSz. My D (mid August) was at 99. I'll definitely continue testing, ideally every 3 months, to see how much supplementation I need up here in the northeast over the long, dark winter.

Fasting glucose was also tested (borderline, though I am reversing my IR), but not fasting insulin is never tested unless requested.

I'm seeing a new naturopath on Tuesday and I'll bring up all the things I want her to test, including HOMA-IR.

16. JanSz

JanSz Gold

That new naturopath, ask him/her for
    Spectracell Micronutrient analysis and lipid profile
    and
    DUTCHtest.com

Or you can get those tests ordered all by yourself over internet.

17. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Thanks, the SpectraCell looks very interesting. DUTCH, too. It's highly unlikely either test will be covered by my insurance, so I'll plan to order and reimburse myself through my HSA. I've seen you post about these tests before, and I wish I had ordered then so I could go over the results to the new doc.

Does the lipid profile dive into a more granular analysis of LDL? If not, I already had my fasting cholesterol results from mid August, so it's probably too soon to be looking for additional changes. LDL, triglycerides, and total cholesterol all decreased. Unfortunately, so did HDL, but my labs were at the time I started the Leptin Reset Rx, so there would not have been time for changes based on increased seafood consumption, getting out in the sunlight, CT, etc., to register.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  18. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I'm quite pleased with my first consultation with this new naturopath. She spent 90 minutes with me and plans to take a phased approach to both testing and treatment. She's a good listener, and I believe she will be thorough. I was also pleasantly surprised that, before I'd entered her office, she had already selected my take-home tests and had written out the labs she wants me to do (based on info in my intake form--she added more during the appointment).

To start:
    • DUTCH PLUS (sex hormones and their metabolites plus adrenals and HPA axis). Test will also reveal melatonin, and markers for B12 and B6, glutathione, dopamine, and norepinephrine/epinephrine
    • Complete stool analysis (digestion/absorption, parasites, diversity, inflammatory markers, etc.)
    • MTHFR gene mutation
    • HS-CRP
    • B12
    • Homocysteine
    • Full thyroid panel (free Ts, rT3, antibodies)
    • Breath test for SIBO/FODMAP
    She wants to wait on the SpectraCell until we know the state of my gut and adrenals. If testing indicates leaks/malabsorption, fix first and later address nutritional deficiencies. If my gut is leaky, I'll have deficiencies.

Areas to explore later:
    • Mold biomarker tests (to include visual contrast sensitivity)
    • HOMA-IR
    • ALCAT (primarily for number of sensitivities, not the foods themselves)
    • BHRT

Phosphene likes this.
  19. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I thawed grassfed beef shanks to make for dinner tonight with onions and turnips ... except when I went to put them in the slow cooker a few hours ago, I realized one of the packages I'd thawed was ribeye. Quelle horreur!

So I Pittsburgh seared the steaks, took my plate out to the yard, and sat in the grass, devouring every last fatty, bloody bite. Best BAB ever.

Carry on.

20. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

3 months ago, I never would have considered indulging myself in that way. I'd have fretted about not having planned for such choice meat and/or waited for my husband to get home to grill them.

I'd have put myself last.

Instead, my body feels supremely nourished and electric with energy.