1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

If you are going through hell, keep going

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Cuffy, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I have been lurking for a while and now I'm going to jump in. I discovered jackkruse.com through an internet search for blue light-blocking glasses. I’ve since read Epi-Paleo Rx, and have adjusted my lifestyle according to various protocols. My skin is in the game. This place has really helped me expand my thinking in ways I'd never imagined.

Several months ago (before knowing anything about leptin and redox and deuterium), I began eating a keto diet to resolve insulin resistance and adrenal fatigue. After I acclimated, I transitioned to lowcarb Paleo (no dairy, legumes, ...). But instead of all the benefits I was expecting (improved sleep, energy and mood; reduced inflammation, stress, fat), the opposite seems to have occurred.

Family medical
    • Mother: 79. Extremely heavy periods, endometriosis, hysterectomy at 32 (no HRT, they left one ovary), macrocytosis (I have this, too), atrial septal defect and bruit, Alzheimer's (dx 2005)
    • Father: 81. Barret's syndrome survivor, new Type 1 diabetic (“graduated” from Type II because his doctor insists that eating spaghetti and meatballs, loads of fruit, and cereal is fine), uncontrolled blood glucose levels (even on insulin), severe diabetic neuropathy, gout, on warfarin, FMS, recurring life-threatening blood infection since 2014 (doctors vacillating between bacteremia, sepsis, cellulitis ...), heart valve replacement 2015, cholecystectomy 2016. And he's the primary caregiver for my mother, so he's chronically exhausted/stressed.
    • Maternal grandmother: Died at 52, lung cancer
    • Maternal grandfather: Died at 52, embolism
    • Maternal aunt: Died in her 50s, breast cancer
    • Paternal grandmother: Died at 93, old age
    • Paternal grandfather: Died in his late 60s (??)
    • Paternal side--Types I and II diabetes
    • Me: First born of 2, not breast fed
    Operations/diagnoses summary
    • 1972 Tonsils removed
    • 1979 Throat (thyroid?) injury.
    • 1981 Skull fracture, occipital lobe.
    • 1992 Appendix out (dx "acute onset perforation")
    • 2000 Cervical hernia, C5
    • 2006 Hashimoto's antibodies
    • 2008 Nasal polyps removed to restore sense of smell
    • 2015 Gallstones (still have my gallbladder)
    • 2017 Kidney stone
    My health history
    Many years ago, the Food Pyramid was the catalyst that destroyed my health. When the new dietary recommendations came out, I was in the best shape of my life. But I wanted to lean a bit for an upcoming biathlon, so I adopted the Pyramid and gained weight. My doctor told me to cut fat intake to 10%. As this limited protein, the only macro left was carbs. He also told me to stop lifting weights (I'd just look bigger, he said) and replace that with an hour of cardio every day.

Those changes made things worse. I became bloated, tired, depressed, anxious, and I developed allergies (was put on Seldane). With all that grainy bulk, I could not understand why I was ravenous all the time. I was ignorant of the connection between high carbohydrate consumption and high blood glucose, so I thought the problem was my willpower. I doubled down my efforts and was rewarded with more weight gain, more pain and inflammation in my lower back, rosacea, plantar faciitis, hair loss (about 1/3 total volume), rough, dry, itchy skin, Morton's neuroma, blurred vision, abdominal bloating, muscle atrophy, a bum knee, a stiff gait. An emergency appendectomy was a major low point,

I had also become disconnected from my body's signals and true hunger (versus cravings). I lost and gained the same 20 pounds a dozen times. Or more accurately, I'd lose a quick 20 pounds and then slowly gain back 30.

And so it dragged on for years with zero help from doctors. I seemed physically unable to lose more than 20 pounds, and even that failed after a while, despite my having landed on ketogenic dieting. A few years back, a new doctor tested hormones (I had to insist), but lab results always came back normal, though at the very lowest end of the range. She said obesity was likely genetic and offered me antidepressants. I later found a naturopath who put me on an "elimination" diet that contained legumes, nuts, rice powder/flour, and nightshades. When I told her I felt those foods might be a problem for me, she said I was trying to be manipulative and just do it. FIRED. I knew she could not help me, but I didn't have the right knowledge or tools to help myself.

I KNEW I needed to lose fat to get healthy, but around 6 months ago I started to wonder if I had it backward. Was it possible I wasn't losing weight because I was unhealthy? That I needed to get my body in order first?

NOW
    I spent all winter reading about/researching the endocrine system, at least regarding what I assumed were ongoing health issues (leaky gut, hypoadrenia, insulin resistance). By spring, I felt ready to try again. I started a keto plan of 70% fat, 20% protein, and 10% veggies. I slowly transitioned from 3 meals a day, to two and then one. I was blissfully cruising through my days, hunger-free, from dinner to dinner. No snacking. Last meal a minimum of 2 hours before bed.

Despite a lifestyle overhaul, I felt disappointed that my many symptoms did not improve:
    • Allergic rhinitis, which had not bothered me in a decade, has gone out of control. The sneeze-a-palooza occurs at least every other day, immediately after I get up to pee (between 2-4AM), and robs me of my last 2-4 hours of sleep.
    • My hips hurt every night (deep burning in the joint), which disrupted the last couple hours of sleep.
    • Restless Leg Syndrome often + painful cramps in my ankles, feet, and toes.
    • Bruise easily.
    • Extremely puffy, often pitted edema in ankles and feet--so bloated, they look like a blowfish.
    • Obviously sleep is poor, and I have low energy.
    I discussed my lack of progress with my PCP (an OD who focuses at leaast a bit more on integrative medicine). She recommended that I see a naturopath, which is coming up next month.

Then I discovered this forum and, lo! I was doing things backward! I was taking supplements I should not consume. I was eating at the wrong time of day. I wasn't eating enough protein or seafood. And I wasn't getting a damned bit of sunshine on my body--haven't been tan in 15 years.

I am so happy to have discovered all of you and already feel positive changes from following Dr. Kruse's Epi-Paleo Leptin Reset Rx.

Changes I've made so far, per Epi-Paleo Rx:
    • Sun: Up at sunrise. Get sun on my skin between 7-10AM. (I work at home most days, which makes this easier.) More sun in late afternoon (taking it slowly, as I am perilously pale).
    • Water: Drink Pellegrino and have started freezing my fluoride-filtered water to remote deuterium.
    • Timing: Eating breakfast now. Went from OMAD to 2 meals in a max 6-hour eating window. Increased Meal 1 protein to 50g, and eat outside or by an open window.
    • Seafood: Eating more of it, raw when I can (oysters, lobster, shrimp, mackerel, sardines, salmon, cod)
    • Earthing: Walking barefoot inside and outside every chance I get. Also sitting/lying in the grass, just watching the clouds. I used to do this as a child and forgot how relaxing it is.
    • CT: Started CT with face dunking and cold showers. Ordered a Cool Fat Burner, and will figure out how to do full immersion soon.
    • nnEMF: Learning how to minimize my exposure, starting with disabling wireless and removing all electronics from the bedroom.
    • Light: Zero fluorescent or LED in the house. All amber or red incandescent light bulbs.
    • Social: Resuming a 3D life is a work in progress. I'm a wicked introvert. Very friendly with colleagues, but I need to expand connections in my personal life. My health problems contributed to my self-imposed isolation.
    Things to figure out
    • If the microbiome starts to change within 6 days, why is my gut still leaky after 5 months of remove/restore/rebalance/reinnoculate? How long does it typically take to heal the gaps in the mucosal barrier?
    • Do I have an absorption problem?
    • If I had Hashi's antibodies once, should I eat an AI protocol forever (e.g., will I never eat a nightshade or raw cheese again)? Or when my body is optimized, will I be able to eat "shit on a shingle"?
    • Why do my ankles look like they belong on the Michelin Man, when the only salt in my diet comes from Celtic/French sea salt (<1/8 tsp per day)? What would cause me to retain water only in my ankles? Do I have a kidney problem? Or is it because my body is still hormonally suboptimal?
    • How bloody long does it take to feel some actual energy?
    That about sums it up in eleventy-billion words. I'm happy to receive any input!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  2. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I think I just figured out what do do about my near-daily allergy attacks. Cut out plants.

When I started this way of eating last spring, the one thing that changed (besides eliminating grains, dairy, nuts/seeds, legumes, etc.) was to increase my vegetable consumption. Significantly.

I went from eating fist-sized portions of veggies at mealtime to 10-cup/10-ingredient salads.

I'm going to eliminate veggies (and herbs/spices) for a minimum of 4 days, which seems to be the accepted interval for a food intolerance reaction, and see if there's any improvement.

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

veggies and fruit are not my friend.......... I only eat small amounts - mostly seafood and meat

Jack does tell us that when our redox is great we can eat shit on a shingle!

Cuffy and Alex97232 like this.
  4. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Ha! It will be an interesting experiment to see how my body responds to seafood, meat, organs, and bone broth only.

I need to find a source for shucked oysters. My parents tell me I was a raw mollusk fiend as a child. I think it's incredible that ONE oyster provides the RDA for B12.

I think I read somewhere that Jack said sardines trump salmon. I wonder if canned bristling sardines is OK ... at least until I source fresh. There's a Whole Foods in town, so I'll need to make the seafood manager my new best friend.

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

canned sardines are fantastic......

So far I have just skimmed your journal ......where do you live? work?

6. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Yay for canned sardines! Growing up, my brother and I always got a tin of King Oscar in our Christmas stockings.

I live and work north of Boston in a little town near Concord.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  7. Hi Cuffy. Glad you're here. Here's my non expert 2 cents.

• How bloody long does it take to feel some actual energy?
    • (taking it slowly, as I am perilously pale)
    If you are not in the sunlight, you will never feel better. We get energy from the sun are meant to be in the sun every day of our lives.

Cuffy and Lahelada like this.
  8. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Thanks, Marko Pollo. Looks like I'll need to be patient until my skin adapts. Burning to a crisp won't help, so I'll keep increasing the amount of time I spend out in the sun until I can handle as much as I did in my teens/20s, which was all day.

I would not be surprised if my computer is sucking the life blood out of me. I work long hours, and then hop back on after work to do research. MUST find a balance ... or cover myself in chain mail ;--)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Marko Pollo likes this.
  9. Cuffy and Marko Pollo like this.
  10. caroline

caroline Moderator

I just realised I thought you were a male .....good thing you posted a better pic!

Cuffy likes this.
  11. caroline

caroline Moderator

you gave us a big clue ....."I had just recently relocated for work"

You need to be drinking better water......

Do you have blue blockers?

no electronics in bedroom?

Lights out at sundown?

do you live in a house? apartment? smart meters?

Do you have a meter to check for nnEMF? Your computer is definitely sucking the life out of you.

Any possibility of changing jobs??? The East coast where you are is very bad news....

12. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Thanks, Duane. I used to be a sun "worshiper." If it was sunny outside, I was under the glow. But I have not intentionally sought the rays since 1992. I partially blame the media, women's magazines, and stupid vanity. Sun damage! Wrinkles! Loss of collagen! Sagging and bagging! Skin cancer! Those scare tactics were all over everything in the 90s.

Since discovering this forum and getting back to nature, I have noticed that when I sit in the sun, I feel this powerful movement in my chest. It's hard to put a finger on what that is, but it feels like joy.

Duane Baumgartner and Lahelada like this.
  13. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

Welcome Cuffy, I'm also in a small town near Concord.

I hope this is a start of a journey towards health for you.

Cuffy likes this.
  14. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

The work relocation, mentioned in the OP, was 7 moves and almost 3 decades ago. It wasn't as massive shift as it would be today, as there was no internet or wireless anything in 1989. I've been in my current town for 16 years. It's semi rural, lots of farm land around. We have woods behind our house and a decent sized yard with lots of gardens that I planted.

For drinking water, I installed a Crystal Quest fluoride filter on my kitchen faucet and use another filter in a water pitcher. I use that water for our pets and for cooking. When I drink water, it's almost always San Pellegrino mineral water in a glass bottle.

I wear Ra Optics blue-light blockers starting 2 hours before sundown. I wear yellow-tinted Uvex glasses when I drive at night. (I hate those new, eye-blistering LED headlamps.) I have been wearing a cheaper pair of daytime blockers, but I'll be purchasing the Ra Optics day glasses soon. I would rather support Matt than some faceless company overseas.

I live in a standalone house. It was built in the late 40s, so it has very few wall outlets and plaster walls.

No electronics in bedroom. I removed all plug-in clocks, fans, and cordless phones. The only concession is a portable air conditioner. New England summers can often rival the heat and humidity below the Mason Dixon line, sometimes for weeks on end. We've been lucky this summer, so it's tucked in a corner and not plugged in. But if it's exceptionally hot and humid, I will have a miserable, sleepless night. I like sleeping COLD. Always have.

There's a water meter on the exterior wall under one of our bedroom windows. I am not sure what kind it is because the hydrangeas in front of it have grown like crazy this year. Since the water department hasn't complained that they can't hack through the shrubs to get a reading, I suspect they replaced the meter with one they can read remotely. Not yet sure what I can do about that.

Lights go out at sundown. I use mini lanterns with beeswax candles throughout the living space, and I have installed red incandescent light bulbs in a few lamps. I also use a Himalayan salt lamp for reading before bed. My husband says pulling into the driveway after dark, our house looks like the red light district.

I do not yet have a meter to check for nnEMF. I've read several threads on this forum, and comments are a bit mixed. Some say what you can buy online isn't sufficient and that people should get a professional to evaluate the home environment. Others are using devices, like the CORNET ED-88T.

The BAD news: I have Verizon, and our network lets us choose between FIOS-XXXX and FIOS-XXXX-5G. We always choose the non 5G network (in fact, I disabled 5G through the admin IP), but I assume that option will go away soon, when they phase out 4G. So I started using an Ethernet cable to connect my laptop directly to the router. My husband uses an iPad, so the only way for him to get online is over wireless. [Edit: I just bought a lightening-to-Ethernet adapter.]

I switch my iPhone to airplane mode until I need to make a call from it (I can take calls from my laptop), and then I use wired (non-bluetooth) headphones to talk or listen. This has always been my habit. I somehow knew that holding that phone against my head was a very bad idea, and I had no interest in a bluetooth earpiece.

I packed away our cordless phones and went back to using corded. I called Verizon to see if we could switch back to copper, but they said no. (If I recall, they sold the copper part of their business 5 years ago).

I work at home a lot, minimally 3 days a week, but sometimes for weeks on end. The office building is an electronic hive with wireless hubs everywhere. I am not on the same floor as the labs. At home, I control my environment.

As far as moving goes ... this may be a really naive question, but won't technology catch up to me wherever I land? We can't stop technology, and the 5G of today will be something worse in a decade. I've read they are already starting on 6G.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    caroline likes this.
  15. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Thanks very much, Katie. I feel positive for the first time in a very long time.

16. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I have a few suggestions
    meter under bedroom window: move bed away from that wall as far as you can. If you have another bedroom further away say hello to your new master bedroom.
    Computer time hygiene hugely important. Get OFF the PC as much as you can.use it outside or minimum by open window. Cover your neck(thyroid).
    A walk in nature without cellphone every day.
    You need sunlight, variable sunlight so that your cells understand the passing of the day.
    This is different to the communal garden wisdom of "20 mins in the sun at 11 and you have all the vitamin D you need and that's enough"meme.
    Hope this helps

Cuffy and Marko Pollo like this.
  17. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Thanks for the suggestions, @Lahelada. The far exterior wall in the bedroom has the radon mitigation system, so I am not sure that's a better option. Caroline's comment about the water meter sent me off into research mode, and I discovered smartmeterguard.com, which uses Faraday cage technology to block EMFs. They also sell a router guard, which may address the immediate concern of my husband still wanting wireless at home.

Though I am sure EMFs are doing their silent damage, I don't appear to be particularly sensitive. Not sure I know what the signs/symptoms are yet. But you nailed it with "Get OFF the PC." I WILL become more of a luddite over time, but for now I need to be able to learn until I have this new lifestyle down.

Until then, the solution may be to cover things that are emitting radiation. Will a regular (cotton or silk or wool) scarf work on my neck, or do I need something more shielding? [Dashes off to research]

18. JVB

JVB Gold

My husband hardwired our house and at least a few months ago, Apple was selling an adapter on its website for the iPad (I think it's made by Belkin if I remember correctly). I'm from Massachusetts, and we hardwired my dad's computer when we were visiting this summer (although he has Comcast) with no problems.

19. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Thanks, @JVB. I just found the Lightening-to-Ethernet adapter by Belkin in the Apple store.

20. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I just commented in @Nrelax11's journal about eye floaters.

I developed them when I began watching the sunrise. So I moved my focus a bit further away from the sun (25% instead of 15%) and today was the first day with no floaters.

Also today--perhaps completely coincidental--when I was reading outside, I realized that my +2.00 readers were still perched on top of my head. I was reading without them!

But when I came inside and opened my laptop to log this improvement, I had to put my glasses back on to see the screen, even though I had increased monitor brightness. Even though the computer and book were the same distance from my eyes.

Something magical about that sun.