1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Ideal Green Tea Preparation

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by yewwei.tan, Jul 7, 2014.

1. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Caroline, Nick, and I were confused about this topic. If I recall correctly, you said that you would steep your green tea to somehow get less of the fluoride.

So to clarify, my current understand is that the best way to brew green tea to:
    • use loose leaves (since tea bags have fluoride)
    • use RO water
    • use a hydrophillic brewing vessel (glass or ceramic)
    • pour boiling water over the tea leaves and leave to sit for a long period (>5mins) before pouring out to drink
    Is that accurate?

Also, if you could spare the time, what is the mechanism by which fluoride extraction is minimised?

Sean Waters likes this.
  2. colt

colt Gold

Put a whole lemon in it. It sucks it up.

3. yew, have you been able to find R water in Australia? if so could you link me?

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Decide how to filter your tea. If your tea is pre-bagged, your filtration system is already set. If you have loose tea, however, you'll need a way to remove it from the water after steeping.
    • You can buy your own empty teabags and fill them with tea for one-time use.
    • Tea balls are another popular choice. These are better to use for black tea than other types of tea that tend to expand more during the brewing process. In order to brew a great cup of tea, the water needs to be able to flow freely through the leaves.
    • Basket filters are a good choice for any type of tea.
    • You can pour water directly over loose tea and filter it out after it steeps using a fine-mesh strainer.
    • Measure out your tea. If your tea comes in bags, you're all set. For loose tea, you'll need approximately 1 teaspoon per 6 ounce serving of water. Use a teaspoon to measure out the correct amount into your tea bag, tea ball or basket filter. Place it inside the cup, mug or teapot you're using.
      • Note that a 6-ounce serving is standard tea cup size. If you're making enough tea for a large mug, you might want to use a little more.
      • If you're making a heavier, denser tea, such as many types of black tea, you can use a little less than a teaspoon per serving. For lighter, bulkier teas, like green teas and herbal teas, use a little more than a teaspoon. After the first few cups you make, you can start measuring out your tea to taste.
      Heat your reverse osmosis water to boiling
    • Pour the water over the tea. If you're making black tea, go ahead and pour the boiling water directly over the tea to begin the steeping process. For green, white or herbal tea, take it off the heat and wait 30 seconds until the boil stops, then pour it over the tea. This prevents the delicate leaves from overcooking, which would result in a bitter taste. If you want to make it an exact science, use a thermometer to take the water's temperature so you can control the flavor of the tea.
      • Black tea is best steeped at a temperature of 203 degrees Fahrenheit (95 degrees Celsius).
      • Green tea is best steeped at a temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit (74 to 85 degrees Celsius) before you pour it over the tea.
      • White tea should be steeped at a temperature of 185 degrees Fahrenheit (85 degrees Celsius).
      • Oolong tea is best steeped using a temperature of 203 degrees Fahrenheit (95 degrees Celsius).
      • Herbal teas should be steeped using a temperature of 203 degrees Fahrenheit (95 degrees Celsius).
      Steep the tea in boiling water for 90 seconds. This removes 90% of the Fluoride. Take out the teabag and then re-steep the tea in new water.
    • If you want to drink tea consistently you need to look into borates or borax because fluroborates are safe to use.
      http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/fluoride_questions.html
    • If you are going to drink a lot of tea you should consider adding tamarind to your template because it increases F- excretion:
      http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v56/n1/full/1601287a.html

• Steeping is the soaking in liquid (usually water) of a solid so as to extract flavours or to soften it. A tea infuser or a tea strainer may be used to assist in this process. Some teas are prepared for drinking by steeping the leaves in heated water to release the flavour and nutrients. Herbal teas may be prepared by decoction, infusion, or maceration. Some solids are soaked to remove an ingredient, such as salt from smoked ham or salted cod, where the solvent is not the desired product.
    • The amount of time you'll steep the tea depends on both the type of tea you're making and your individual taste. Experiment to find the steeping time that is best for your cup of tea.
      • Black tea should be steeped for 3 to 5 minutes.
      • Green tea should be steeped for 2 to 3 minutes.
      • White tea should be steeped for for 2 to 3 minutes.
      • Oolong tea should be steeped for for 2 to 3 minutes.
      • Herbal teas should be steeped for 4 to 6 minutes.

5. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

I set my finished tea on magnets or magnetico for a while or while I am sipping on it...
    Always with RO, structured water.

6. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

I do a mix of buying bottled water from the northern hemisphere, buying local RO water from the supermarket (Aqua Pure and Nobles Pureau are RO), and using our home RO filter system from PSI filters -- http://www.psifilters.com.au/

---

That's about as detailed an answer as I could hope for :) Thanks!

Everyone should read the Borax use Q&A that Jack linked above if they want to use Borax safely -- http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/fluoride_questions.html#Question_1065. All the other measures are straightforward and easy to implement.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  7. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

To @caroline specifically: Yup, you're right that you should throw away the water after an initial steep if you want to get rid of fluoride.

I remember being taught how to prepare Chinese Tea according to Traditional Tea Ceremony practices when I was young -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_tea_ceremony

One of the steps was always to boil the tea and discard the first brew. Usually this was done with darker teas, and co-incidentally (maybe not?) it makes sense from a fluoride removal perspective.

Sean Waters likes this.
  8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Chinese were intuitive........

Sean Waters likes this.
  9. word, i bought pureaux today
    i often get mineral water from italy too

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hah! I knew I had something right!

Sean Waters, nicld and cinnamon like this.
  11. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Penny likes this.
  12. caroline

caroline Moderator

We were just travelling thru Mullumbimby [northern N.S.W - near Byron Bay] and they have an R/O machine [dispenser] on the street and you can fill up your own containers for a very reasonable fee.