1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

iceman. IR and FBG. Dr K nugget in the comments

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by CoolingWeb, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

nice diggin'

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

So started my biohack officially yesterday. Before CT my BG was 83. CT was 25 min in 46 degree water in the stock tank. Post CT it was 75

This am I woke up and my FBG was 87.

3. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

My BG control seems to be affected greatly by thyroid meds. CT certainly helps. but when THS is high my BG is high. I recently added liothyronine to address low T3. I reduced levothyroxine when adding liothyronine and this sent both my TSH and BG into craziness for a few weeks. I brought the levo back up and added more lio and BG is finally starting to loo better. CT has a dramatic BG lowering effect immediately, but without good thyroid function it did not appear to help fasting BG. I see post CT drops in BG of 40+points after 20 min.

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Interesting Dali. I know my TSH is Hig. We just upped my Armour from 1/2 grain(30mg) to 1 grain (60mg). I know I need at least 90mg but PCP wanted me to try 60 and see where I'm at after being on it for 4wks.

So here's a question. If we're designed to have a high FBG going into winter and TSH kicks the thyroid into to gear to prepare for winter shouldn't it be a good thing if we embrace the cold???

5. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

I do embrace the cold, but it seems that for me regardless of season, if I don't have decent thyroid levels my FBG is high. Of course I am still broken. By the way your BG levels sound great. Stay the course.

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Until I hopped back in the tub they were running btwn 85-115 depending on where I'm at w/my cycle

I think it's interesting that High FBG may also be linked to thyroid as well. Time to go search journal articles on the possible linkage.

7. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

In the summer when I was pushing my thyroid levels to top quartile, (too much T3 than I could handle, still low T4), I would see T2D sugar levels (200+) while eating watermelon (then I would get in the cold tub and watch it drop just like Dali Dula mentioned). It was crazy off the charts if I touched a carb. Now I'm taking T4 (not absorbed well for me, so levels are still non-ideal), and T3 by itself (just 15mg spread over the day). Last labs my TSH was still a little high - 5.5 (but I think TSH gets a little bouncier/responsive when it's responding primarily to T3 blood levels instead of T4, and my labs were drawn in the am before taking any T3), however I am way less symptomatic than before, and also, have way more blood sugar control than before. FBG is in the mid 80s to 91ish. In the summer it would be 10 point higher in general. Also post meal blood sugar spikes are way reduced.

So, the takeaway I have, at least for myself, is that a proper balance of thyroid hormones is huge for managing blood sugar. But also, proper cortisol levels are huge for managing it as well. And I know that proper cortisol levels, in addition to proper thyroid levels are needed to make it all work at the cellular level (in ways I can't remember the mechanics). So for me, in the summer, even though my T3 levels were hitting upper quartile, my adrenal gland wasn't responding as it needed to (lots of symptoms here for me at the time), and my blood sugar was really, really crazy.

8. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Temp in the CT tub last night was 49 degrees (Damn heat wave we've got going on here in the DC Metro Area) Its supposed to be close to 80 tomorrow - WTF?

so I hopped in the tub and stayed in for 45min.... got up this am and my FBG was 87!

win!

9. How high did your TSH go? Just wondering. Mine jumped to 5.12 from 0.86 since late August. I'm stumped. If you've already shared your results somewhere, sorry. I am out of it this morning. My brain is not doing well. UGH.

10. Congratulations, that is so awesome!

11. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

mine was almost 5....but not quite...still out of range...

12. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Day 3 CT water temp is 53 deg! Grrr. Where's my cold!!! This means I just gotta sit here longer. Now if the neighbors damn spotlight would burn out I might be able to see some stars. Fortunately the gong stand covered w/the stock tank tarp blocks the light.

13. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

update:

yesterday's FBG was backup to 97 (I think this might have been an anonomly - b/c initially my BG monitor read at 117 - so I re-checked). I wasn't able to get in and CT yesterday, but this am I was back down to 83!

Little by little change is happening.

14. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

CT last night was 44deg water in 47 deg ambient air temp - made it 25mins. this am FBG was 89.

15. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

As far as the TSH increaseing has anyone read that the TSH will increase when someone starts getting iodine in their system? TSH has another function besides stimulating thyroid hormone productions. It also helps stimulate the body's production of the iodine transport cells (sodium-iodide symporter-NIS) without adequate amounts of NIS, iodine would not be able to enter the cells and be utilized. TSH may remain elevated up to 6 months then start to come down. I do not know if this is accurate, I just got it out of Dr. Brownsteins book "Iodine Why we Need It" Dr. K will have to comfirm this one.

16. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Interesting... my TSH went up last winter - and prior to going epi-paleo I always gravitate toward more fish and pork during the winter. and I Know my TSH skyrocketed btwn July and end of Aug, beginning of Sep when I had my labs run. I know that now its still running high -even though we increased my Thyroid meds...

17. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Actually my TSH went down from 3.36 to 2.48 in 3 months, but I've only been taking trace amounts of Lugols. Far less than the Brownstein protocol.

18. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I'd love to know the answer to this, too. My TSH went well over 4 over winter (which has just passed). Prior to that it was around 2 (and that was pre-epi-paleo, just paleo). So I really wondered how it rose when I was eating lots of seaweed and seafood. This could explain it. But is it true?

19. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

This am FBG was 96 - I also tested later than usual b/c wrangling Chaos and Havoc on the potty. I'll call today a win b/c Havoc sat on the potty.

20. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

FBG this am was back down to 87... in one week I've seen a major difference... so far my bio-hack has been very interesting... going to have to graph this out...