1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

iceman. IR and FBG. Dr K nugget in the comments

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by CoolingWeb, Mar 19, 2012.

1. angieonthegogo

angieonthegogo New Member

I'll take some of that please! :) Die fat cells, die! Die a swift (and painless for me) death!!

What a hidden gem of a thread. There is so much good info on this forum and I'm thankful I've found this thread! My BFG has risen over the last couple months as I've increased CT. I've been thinking it was due to detox but that may not be the whole story. I'm going to re-read this thread. Thanks for all the great info everyone!

2. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Welcome Angeionethegogo,

I wish you benefit of our collective experience and hopefully we all will be optimal soon. Please let us know how you roll.

Stay "Cool"

Cooling

3. angieonthegogo

:)

I broke out my bg monitor today and meant to check it this AM but forgot. I remembered before I ate dinner and it was 104! I had been low/mid-90's for months. It was 4 hours exactly since I ate lunch. I've now eaten dinner and ~30 ish mins later I'm at 130. Not too pretty is it.

4. skline@peak.org

skline@peak.org New Member

Progress report on sweet potato power --- I have ups and downs every couple of days, but I stay the course.

I have replaced the Big Ass Breakfast with what I call the Fat Ass Breakfast: smaller portions, fatty pork or side pork, an inch or two inches of a medium sized sweet potato, peeled and chopped, depending on how hungry I feel, and a scattering of local pumpkin seeds, all cooked together in a skillet. It is highly satiating for the amount of food.

If i had more sweet potato I had trouble with gassing up and irritable bowel.

I've shed about 7 pounds over three weeks or so, which also goes in waves. If I feel crabby or tired, I ascribe it to detox and tell myself it won't last -- and it doesn't. A pound or two tends to come off shortly after a crabby day like that.

I've been having a heaping teaspoonful of glutamine powder in water every morning when I wake up, then I go outside in the cool morning and work in the garden about 30 minutes, then I make the fat ass breakfast. In the evening, I've been taking taurine, some resveratrol, and three capsules of mag threonate, which seems to help my mood. I use sublingual methyl B-12 several times a week at bedtime.

I take my morning glucose every day. Before reading about sweet potato, it was usually between 110 and 125. Now, if I'm stressed or exhausted or if I ate too late in the evening the night before, it's similar, but if I keep to my routine, it's around 100 or 102. One morning it was 94, but I'd been hungry a lot the previous day. Scanty eating for a day or two works and peels weight short term, but I need to refeed to reset everything for another try, or it stops working and my energy plummets.

Basically, I think I'm better off with the sweet potato than I was with true low carb, and certainly I'm better off using it instead of a small portion of white rice, which goes straight to my waistline.

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

all of us are smarter than one of us.......

6. angieonthegogo

+1!

silly character limit...

7. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Actually, It is.

Then again _what_ you had for dinner is important too.

BG 1 hour after meal should be < 140

BG 2 hour after meal should be < 120

To avoid organ damage.

Usually BG peaks at 45m post meal. The 30m test you made does not tell you much.

Cooling

8. I have definitely figured out, because I am keeping a journal, that the later I eat dinner the night before the higher my FBG number is in the morning. I am really at the point now, if I don't eat by 8 pm, I suck down a protein shake real fast an skip the dinner all together. I am making my breakfast and lunch my biggest meals.

Cooling, providing I eat timely I have my FBG down to 98-104. I am coming up on 8 weeks. WHoot!!

9. sd13

sd13 New Member

This is great news! I have been remiss in checking my FBG--I will do so tomorrow.

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

This is why it is part of the Leptin Rx......4 hrs of time between dinner and bed.

11. Thanks Doc!!!! this has made a world of difference for me, however it is not always easy to do.

I am learning it takes planning. After work I hit the gym,drive in traffic and then it is 7 pm and I still have to cook. So my goal for June is to work on this specifically. It is all about habits and creating healthy ones so one doesn't feel imprisoned by the lifestyle. I gotta make it work for me at lest 90% of the time. I know there will be some meal times that I just can't control the timing of because DH is cooking and he has his own timing preferences (as he ever so politely informed me of this past weekend). I also have a challenge this coming weekend as I will be camping in the mountains. I have my plan just about together to make it work. We shall see.

Hi, sd13!!

12. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Yup, excellent news. :)

The 4 hours no food before bed made a lot of difference for me too but for losing weight. With no insulin circulating during sleep leptin can be seen by the hypothalamus. This means the brain can read the leptin meters correctly and act accordingly. Dr. K explained it in his early leptin posts and I attest to its efficacy.

I broke the 200lbs plateau last week. No exercise for 2 weeks now. I found out yesterday that I am 194lbs (88Kg) now. Still 6.4 tall though ;)

Now, that the skin is a little loose I can see where all that fat was hidden. Total fat loss so far is 45lbs (20Kg) .. I had no idea I was going to lose this much. 30lbs was the max I expected when I started.

Now, the leptin controlling PEPCK connection in the liver is what gives you the 90s and 100s FBG as we were told. How to encourage this is still not clear to me. Keep doing what we are doing is the recommended path. Dr. K said to allow some time for liver to come around. So I will. This man seems to know what he is talking about. :)

Stay Cool,

Cooling

13. {{{{{{Coooooooling}}}}}}}} 45 lbs is awesome!! Congrats!! am so happy for you and how awesome is it that you have surpassed your own expectations?

I don't think we need to call ourselves desperate and hopeful any more!! LOL!!

I am looking forward to see what another month does for us!! Have a great day

14. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

LOL.. Yessssssss. Thank you BagladyLKN for your encouragement and kindness. I truly appreciate it.

calling us "desperate and hopeful" touched a nerve huh? Actually, we are. It describes the human condition perfectly. Sigh.

You are absolutely right. One more month. why not? Of course , so far the time has brought nothing but positive improvements. It is like we are being given the break we always wanted. Thank God for all these blessings. Really amazing rediscovered territories that I thought was lost for ever.

Keep up the cold work girl.

{{{{{{Coooooooling}}}}}}}} :D

15. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

OK.

Our new word for today is TXNIP.

Thioredoxin-interacting protein is a protein that in humans is encoded by the TXNIP gene.

Thioredoxin is a class of small redox proteins known to be present in all organisms. It plays a role in many important biological processes, including redox signaling. In humans, it is encoded by the TXN gene.[1] Loss-of-function mutation of either of the two human thioredoxin genes is lethal at the four-cell stage of the developing embryo. Although not entirely understood, thioredoxin plays a central role in humans and is increasingly linked to medicine through their response to reactive oxygen species (ROS). (wikipedia)

I know that less ROS is a good thing. Carbs increase ROS.

- http://jackkruse.com/cpc4-evolutionary-friend-or-foe/

186 - Jerry Malone Says:

May 27th, 2012 at 4:04 pm

@Jack, Since starting the LR in Jan., my BG has become lower and much more stable. Usually fasting level is in the 80s now. (Sleeping in pitch black and getting to bed early seem to be the biggest factors influencing waking BG.)

When I added CT 4 weeks ago, I was amazed to find that it has an almost immediate effect on BG. Strange thing is that my BG sometimes mysteriously creeps up in the afternoon, usually on days when I’m either very bored or under a lot of stress.

Today, for example, it went up to 115. Thought I’d use this opportunity to do an experiment. I soaked in the CT tank (70 deg. F.) and took BG readings at 10 minutes and 25 minutes. At 10 minutes, BG was 89. At 25 minutes, it was 83. (I took care to thoroughly dry my finger, and averaged several readings; used a TrueTrack meter, which seems to have less noise than others.)

I’m amazed at: 1) how big of a drop in BG I get from CT, 2) how fast it occurs, and 3) the effectiveness of even relatively warm (70 deg.) water.

How does CT work to lower BG? Does it cause an insulin spike, or is it working through some other mechanism?

Thanks.

Jack Says:

May 27th, 2012 at 6:38 pm

@Jerry it has to do with a protein that leptin affects in the brain in a place called the hypothalamus. The protein that does it is TXNIP. TXNIP is pure hypothalamic protein that is heavily influenced by leptin and overall energy status. When hypothalamic expressing neurons secrete TXNIP is completely alters the calorie in and calorie out dogma that exists today and completely fits in alignment with what I have believed for many years now. The brain has a way to calculate overall energy status and it can regulate consumption and metabolic efficiency. Humans wrongly believe the best way to lose weight is stop eating and cut calories. This is wrong, and it is the worse thing one can do. The best way to modulate the system is affect the metabolic pathways efficiencies. If you are more metabolically efficient you can burn way more than you take in and still be lean. TXNIP allows humans to do just that. The lower TXNIP is the more efficient is our Ferrari engines.

The major plays are BG, insulin and leptin status. Interestingly enough the latest research is beginning to show it is not a shared thermostat with all three players getting equal footing. It appears leptin is the major player and this make tremendous sense because insulin is a small player in colder temperatures because carbs are not supposed to available to us in the Cold as I laid out clearly in CT-6 by showing you how our brain is wired for cold. It is different than it is warm……..

The lower energy expenditure in hTXNIP-expressing neurons means we get fatter because metabolism is slowed down centrally. The interesting part of TXNIP is that is also shows why body builders were way ahead of the game and why IFing really works. The IFing using TXNIP science however calls for a different feeding protocol……that some body builders are using. Insulin spikes will also alter TXNIP to induce lipolysis.

This is why in CT 12 I was going to the low carbers on Jimmy Moore’s cruise that all you believe has to be challenged. Not all carbs are bad when they are eaten at the correct times of the seasons. Summer time carbs when it is warm can actually lean us out and the science of TXNIP is the proof of that concept.

What CT does to TXNIP is lowers it tremendously via the effect on leptin and BG. This is why CT is massive help to obesity and to FBG. Most people in the blogosphere do not even realize this science exists and now you do.

Cooling

16. Heh, after jacks posts yesterday, I had to spend my prebed reading on those suckers - looking forward to where this is going!

17. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

"Abstract

Defective liver gluconeogenesis is the main mechanism leading to fasting hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes, and, in concert with steatosis, it is the hallmark of hepatic insulin resistance. Experimental obesity results, at least in part, from hypothalamic inflammation, which leads to leptin resistance and defective regulation of energy homeostasis. Pharmacological or genetic disruption of hypothalamic inflammation restores leptin sensitivity and reduces adiposity. Here, we evaluate the effect of a hypothalamic anti-inflammatory approach to regulating hepatic responsiveness to insulin. Obese rodents were treated by intracerebroventricular injections, with immunoneutralizing antibodies against Toll-like receptor (TLR)4 or tumor necrosis factor (TNF)α, and insulin signal transduction, hepatic steatosis, and gluconeogenesis were evaluated. The inhibition of either TLR4 or TNFα reduced hypothalamic inflammation, which was accompanied by the reduction of hypothalamic resistance to leptin and improved insulin signal transduction in the liver. This was accompanied by reduced liver steatosis and reduced hepatic expression of markers of steatosis. Furthermore, the inhibition of hypothalamic inflammation restored defective liver glucose production. All these beneficial effects were abrogated by vagotomy. Thus, the inhibition of hypothalamic inflammation in obesity results in improved hepatic insulin signal transduction, leading to reduced steatosis and reduced gluconeogenesis. All these effects are mediated by parasympathetic signals delivered by the vagus nerve."

At the risk of losing my starfish status, what inhibits TLR4 and TNFα?

Those of us with FBG in 90-110s would benefit from pharmaceutical drugs to get the brain/liver access healed? Which drugs work on this access?

Are there a natural sources for such inhibitors? (curcumin and such....?)

Cooling

ps. CLI-095 by InvivoGen.

TLR4 signaling inhibitor

CLI-095, also known as TAK-242, is a novel cyclohexene derivative that suppresses specifically TLR4 signaling, inhibiting the production of NO and pro-inflammatory cytokines [1]. It acts by blocking the signaling mediated by the intracellular domain of TLR4, but not the extracellular domain. It potently suppresses both ligand-dependent and -independent signaling of TLR4 [2].

18. shilohman

shilohman New Member

Being leptin sensitive inhibits TLR4 and TNFa. To get FBG down lose the excess weight, become LS. Use CT to accelerate this.

Your starfish status is safe.

19. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Thanks for sharing, Cooling! I so needed to hear this today. Congratulations on your success!!!

20. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Resurrecting this thread b/c it's got some serious gems especially for those of us ladies challenged by high FBG that's not moving w/cycloset in combination w/metformin.

It's time to shift out of neutral and engage the engine