1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

iceman. IR and FBG. Dr K nugget in the comments

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by CoolingWeb, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Thank you Destiny! I need all I can get :cool:

2. mine started after going Paleo 2.5 years ago and has gotten worst over that time

3. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Thanks Doc. I was thinking about that but not in context of the Liver. You said it before. CT melts the fat. Fat cell apoptosis is a result of cold. (Zeltiq).

Fat cells IR is a major contributor to T2D, Taking them out of the equation should help reset the system greatly.

I started 240 lbs. LRx, CT and IF got me to 200 lbs.

Body Fat %9 now. according to http://www.calculator.net/army-body-fat-calculator.html

The way I am loosing fat I may reach 190 lbs @ %7 in 2-3 weeks.

I am sure I killed lots of fat cells. But just to make sure, I am going into water today. Not going out until I obliterate all of them. DIE FAT CELLS DIE. LOL

I understood Liver PEPCK brain axis regarding FBG. How FBG and fat cells relate?

Is the liver dumping glucose according to number of fat cells it thinks are out there? LR

Is amount of glucose it dumps regulated in the brain or not?

Yours,

Cooling

4. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

I went in 10am to 12pm. I got out pink from sun exposure not cold. :)

I wish tanning could kill fat cells.

Cooling

5. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Me too. At least we can take solace that the vitamin D is helping kill those other bad critters that are able to permeate our natural barriers.

6. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

At the risk of answering my own post, I can not but think that the basis of CT is about Leptin Melanocortin axis. This stuck with me from few CT posts ago.

In retrospect, I know that I developed a leaky gut > Eczema and Allergies > photo sensitivity (face skin burn in few minutes in sun). There was a Vit D deficiency there too.

This year, I started supplementing Vit D (50000IU) twice a week back in Jan. I started getting methodological sun exposure too. Just enough not to trigger the photosensitive. Egypt, enough UV to make Vit D all year. Fixing leaky gut of course.

Being able to tan is a sign of a melanocortin system functioning correctly. This function is manifested in cold exposure too. That is why we saw tanning effects with CT.

For me to able to to have to 2 hours of Egypt's sun yesterday is nothing short of a miracle. My skin response to sun by tanning was coming around to normal. Finally yesterday my thighs were able to tan the same way my torso did few weeks before. The melanocortin concentrations are spreading.

Why all this is important? Well, because it is at the heart of the cell and system communications issues that we face in DM.

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/284/3/E468.full

"In particular, recent pharmacological and genetic studies have affirmed the role of melanocortins in pigmentation, inflammation, energy homeostasis, and sexual function."

"The melanocortins are involved in an extraordinarily diverse number of physiological functions, including pigmentation, steroidogenesis, energy homeostasis, exocrine secretion, sexual function, analgesia, inflammation, immunomodulation, temperature control, cardiovascular regulation, and neuromuscular regeneration."

"These observations set the stage for a multitude of studies that have continued up to the present, which have established the hypothalamic melanocortin system (MC4R, POMC peptides, and AGRP) as one of the convergence points for peripheral and central factors that regulate feeding behavior and metabolism." Leptin Rx

"Whole animal, neuroanatomical, and electrophysiological studies continue to confirm the importance of the melanocortin system in feeding behavior and metabolism." I woke up today 6:00am and could not eat a BAB. Last meal was yesterday 5:00pm. Of course the CT helped too.

"The role of melanocortins MC3R, MC4R, and AGRP in metabolic regulation and the role of α-MSH and the MC4R in sexual function have received a great deal of attention and have provided a framework to explore the melanocortin system for the treatment of obesity, other metabolic abnormalities
    " Metabolic Syndrome X!

I started this project few months back. Deep tan without suntan oil. Filling Vit. D tanks can not be achieved without serious sun exposure for few months. I am going to be very tanned by end of Sept. This means that the melanocortin system is working and contributing to metabolic processes.

Looks like tanning does kill fat cells.

I don't have the cold water you guys up north still have but hey . Yeah .. Go SUN.

Cooling

7. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Hmm, Leptin Melanocortin axis.

Summer: Deep tan

Winter: Deep CT

WOW.

C

8. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Tanning for people who had a brush with a skin cancer and have high levels of vitamin D?

9. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Hi Destiny,

I don't know about that.

I know 2 things. Well, let me say I read 2 things.

1- Sun exposure increases melanin and it protects against cancer. Melanin is wonderful natural sun screen. The sun exposure must not lead to a sun burn.

- Vitamin D and Cancer Prevention http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PsyaYNX1dw[/video]][video=youtube_share;1PsyaYNX1dw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PsyaYNX1dw[/video]

2- Vit. D toxicity can not be induced from UV. UV has two rays UVa and UVb. One stimulates skin to make D and the other breaks it down once it is high.

***** - D-Lightful Vitamin D: Bone & Muscle Health and Prevention of Autoimmune and Chronic Diseases http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=15773

Cooling

10. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Thanks, Cooling! I will look into that.

11. Greg rx

Greg rx New Member

coolingweb, where is your fat. DO NOT try to go low fat and low carb. Just do not do it. If you still think low fat is good for you, please do some reading. Any author that writes about low carb will not be for low fat. I can see it your eyes, you think you can do both. Fry those eggs in butter or bacon fat, have some free range bacon with those eggs.

What is your fasting insulin level? Forget A1c it is just CW tying to convince you to start medication.

12. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Hello AceOfSpd,

You are right. Low fat and low carb is a recipe for a disaster.

My diet in not low fat by any means.

Ketogenic paleo in winter with lots of ghee, pastured butter, olive oil and animal fat. Now, I just add veggies and salads.

I calculate on fitday. %60 of my calorie intake is from fat. How would I sustain energy and satiation without it?

Good fat is my friend. I know. How else could one CT for an hour everyday without it?

I am thinking of ways to up my fat intake even further now that I am running out of body fat. Smothering veggies with butter is one way for now.

FBG has gone up from 80s to 140s after I started ketosis. Now, CT, IF and AMPK increase it is going back down to 110s.

This morning it is 121 after 13 hours fast (dinner 5 hrs b4 sleep + 8 hrs sleep). I did not eat veggies yesterday.

I am on no medication. Just food. :)

Cooling

13. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Dr. k put a link to http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/11/lies-damned-lies-and-medical-science/8269/ in his last port. He said "I do not believe any article I have read has ever made a greater impact in my life."

"Of course, medical-science “never minds” are hardly secret. And they sometimes make headlines, as when in recent years large studies or growing consensuses of researchers concluded that mammograms, colonoscopies, and PSA tests are far less useful cancer-detection tools than we had been told; or when widely prescribed antidepressants such as Prozac, Zoloft, and Paxil were revealed to be no more effective than a placebo for most cases of depression; or when we learned that staying out of the sun entirely can actually increase cancer risks;
    or when we were told that the advice to drink lots of water during intense exercise was potentially fatal; or when, last April, we were informed that taking fish oil, exercising, and doing puzzles doesn’t really help fend off Alzheimer’s disease, as long claimed. Peer-reviewed studies have come to opposite conclusions on whether using cell phones can cause brain cancer, whether sleeping more than eight hours a night is healthful or dangerous, whether taking aspirin every day is more likely to save your life or cut it short, and whether routine angioplasty works better than pills to unclog heart arteries. "

Cooling

14. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

I am reading up and researching this http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2012/march/snyder.html Diabetes as a result of a viral infection?

“but we learned through genomic sequencing that I have a genetic predisposition to the condition. Therefore, we measured my blood glucose levels and were able to watch them shoot up after a nasty viral infection during the course of the study.”

WOW. I had a major illness in June/2011. Major in the sense, it stunted my big toe's nails growth. It lasted 17 days. Fever, weight loss, bad nutrition and stress. I was never the same after that illness. 5 months later I get BG 366.

I wonder what would Geneticist Michael Snyder, PhD personal omics profile be in light of a CT and Plaeo regiment similar to the one we underwent and still going through?

Cooling

15. Birdy

Birdy New Member

years ago, the defining factor for me was reading a book that debunked several business "truths". It was an eye-opener, especially the chapter about the Hawthorne effect. We did a bunch of papers in school on the Hawthorne effect, it was a classic experiment, and now a classic example of an experiment mis-analyzed and mis-reported all these years. So, I was disappointed to see Dr. K invoke the Hawthorne effect in one of his posts. Question everything.

16. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Hello Everyone. I hope you are cool.

Liver Rx ver 0.3 is out. It is on page 6. http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthread.php?303-iceman-IR-and-FBG-Dr-K-nugget-in-the-comments/page6

I am still editing in place to avoid clutter.

added :

- SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine) is serious medicine against liver disease. Almost a thousand published studies document the ability of this bioactive form of methionine to prevent and treat liver disorders, including cancer.

Supplement or take it from natural sources? I aleardy eat lots of eggs.

Foods highest in methionine http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000084000000000000000.html

- Milk thistle has been reported to have protective effects on the liver and to greatly improve its function. It is typically used to treat liver cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis (liver inflammation) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_thistle

Both were mentioned by Dr. K in recent post comments. I researched and added them. I haven't used them yet. I am trying to find a source.

Please tel me what you think.

:)

Cooling

17. chocolate

chocolate Silver

Trader Joe's has both and they are inexpensive.

18. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Hello Jack,

Here is a study that talks about this very same thing.

"Genetic inactivation of Bid, a key pro-apoptotic molecule that serves as a link between these two cell death pathways, significantly reduced caspase activation, adipocyte apoptosis, prevented adipose tissue macrophage infiltration, and protected against the development of systemic insulin resistance and hepatic steatosis independent of body weight.
    These data strongly suggest that adipocyte apoptosis is a key initial event that contributes to macrophage infiltration into adipose tissue, insulin resistance, and hepatic steatosis associated with obesity in both mice and humans. Inhibition of adipocyte apoptosis may be a new therapeutic strategy for the treatment of obesity-associated metabolic complications."

From: Adipocyte Apoptosis, a Link between Obesity, Insulin Resistance, and Hepatic Steatosis http://www.jbc.org/content/285/5/3428.long

They are saying: Fat cells death to stop metabolic disorders development like IR and Fatty Liver.

At this point I can not find that the inverse is true.

Cooling

Cooling

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Cooling no idea......but if you look at cell membrane signaling studies it appears the brain is paying attention to the what is happening at the surface of the fat cell and not so much as what is in it.......the liver pays attn to the fat in the cell and uses that fuel to burn or to make and repackage fat based upon the current hormone status of the organism. When you have less fat via apoptosis you become more insulin sensitive and less insulin resistant across the board.

20. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

How did they arrive their conclusion? "Inhibition of adipocyte apoptosis may be a new therapeutic strategy for the treatment of obesity-associated metabolic complications."

If fat cells death to stop metabolic disorders development like IR and Fatty Liver then why decrease fat cells death as a therapy for obesity-associated metabolic complications
    ?

Cooling