1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

iceman. IR and FBG. Dr K nugget in the comments

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by CoolingWeb, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Dextery

Dextery New Member

Cooling and Bag Lady and anyone concerned with higher than "normal" FBG on a high fat, low carb diet (HFLC)

Peter at Hyperlipid wrote about this back in 2007

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/2007/10/physiological-insulin-resistance.html

He is in the UK and you will need to convert his UK FBG to American numbers.

Basically he says 100 to 120 or so is to be expected and normal when one is on a HFLC diet....especially when A1C is around 4.4 or so in people that are not suffering with health issues. And we know he is talking about warm adapted humans.

If you think about it, the brain needs glucose to function and when on a HFLC diet, the only place the body can get glucose is converting protein to glucose and thus the body responds by creating more than one would think necessary to feed the brain. The brain is an energy hog and the body knows this and makes copious amounts of ketone bodies from protein. I also suspect that the fat portion of a ketogenic diet

also fuels the brain with electrons that the brain needs.

See the posting by Dr Kruse on Quantum Mechanics. http://jackkruse.com/do-food-electrons-impart-a-quantum-effect/#comments

I have also noted my FBG on ketogenic is around 115 or so but if I up my salad and sweet potato a little, my FBG drops down to 90....which I find a little strange and counter intuitive. Peter also noted this for himself.

2. Ray

Ray New Member

Dextery,

I think many of us are like this, and I previously took some comfort in Peter's (at Hyperlipid) explanation; however, Dr Kruse has subsequently pointed out that this indicates a measure of leptin resistance in the liver (and he has mentioned other factors which may be peripherally involved). After all, why has the liver decided that 115 is the right level, when we all know that the correct value is really around 90? It seems that it (the liver) is confused about something!

3. This is awesome Dextery thanks! but my A1c is a consistant 5.7 and in two years of paleo I cannot get it any lower, additionally my Lipid panel is stuck as well and I can only get it to be good, it needs to be better that good and rightly should be as I have been pretty strict paleo, except for alcohol consumption. When I increase my carb intake I get fat very quickly. I can gain 5 pounds in a matter of days. So I agree with Ray in that My liver is confused or should I say overloaded and I feel I am probably LR & IR at the muscular level as well.

Now, I can say that my FBG's are going in the right direction. (currently 3 weeks LRx & 2 Weeks Ctng) I haven't seen any 130's in at least a week. Since then I have had a 105 & a 106. This morning 109. It is coming down now that I have started immersing in the tub. I feel we have found a way to fix this here with Dr Kruse.

at least I am still "Desperate & Hopeful" LOL

4. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Yes. Dexterity. Thank you very much for weighing in. You are right.

But we are using FBG as an indicator of LR and LS. The thing is we have a problem with eating an Apple, a banana or an Orange. This may send my BG to 170. That is a 10g of carb.

I read the "Physiological insulin resistance" article a while back. It is very informative but it is not for the diabetic.

What I have is a communication problem in my muscles and my liver. Hence LR and IR. Maybe at the brain too. But I doubt it at this point. My brain is reading the fat meters correctly and is burning the fat. Lots of it. I LGN darn it. :p I am running out of fat. I will need to do the butter in coffee thing soon.

I went back to my BG logs and saw that I was recording FBG as low as 83 last Feb. Back when I was eating one pound of strawberry after dinner. (Dr Terry Whals diet. Lots of colors)

I was eating paleo and I was losing wight but wasn't on the leptin reset per say yet. Since then I am on leptin reset, went ketogenic and added CT. That is when I saw FBG 150s. I was detoxing too during that time.

Now, I brought the vegies back. Still no fruits. Added swimming (open cold water). Walking and Intermittent fasting.

It went to 120s and now 110s.

I can't pin point if it is one factor or all of them.

FBG for the non T2D means little.

Dr. K mentioned PEPCK and Leptin problem at the liver as a reason for this. But He said the main reason would be in webinar. No one reported anything back yet.

Cooling

5. I paid for it but was not available at the time to watch it so I am waiting on the Monkeys to forward me a link. I wasn't going to buy it but when the Doc said the answer to our questions would be there, well I caved and purchased it. :)

6. sd13

sd13 New Member

Two mornings in a row FBG is in the 80's!

7. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Congrats :) Happy for you.

What are you doing? What do you think made it for you?

Cooling

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

If you dont get rid of the fat cell and just the fat you dont really ever solve IR at the liver.......this is why CT "cures" this problem. It makes the fat cells go bye bye .......nothing else does. When you do not get of them and just the fat your fasting BG never go back to baseline.

Kristi Lambert likes this.
  9. sd13

sd13 New Member

I do the LRx (since Jan. 2) and ct (mid march). I do believe the lower numbers are the result of ct as they never changed before I started cting. So I guess, according to DR. K's response above, I've killed off a few fat cells so that is why my numbers dropped.

10. Sooo happy fer ya SD13!!!!

So, I am thinking I definitely KILLED some fat cells and my body disposed of them today!!! Haha! I did my (what has now become usual) 30 minutes in the tub last night, no sweat, easy peasy! Today, I had one of those days like the first time I CT'd. I got a visit from Mr Pukie & Mrs Poopy, and they stayed for most of the day. Gah, I could do without their visit, made my day hard to deal with. I had to be out of the office all day traveling and seeing clients. Embarrassing!

My FBG was elevated today up to 121, still lower than the 130's though, so I can't complain.

11. Destiny

Destiny New Member

My fasting number started going down to 80's mid Feb after the estrogen supplementation. That lasted for a couple of weeks. Then, they went up to mid 90's for a week. Yesterday, my morning number was 89 and this morning 94. Any idea why is it jumping like that?

I have been following the LRx protocol since December and CT since February.

12. Destiny, I don't have any answers for you, but am sure glad you shared. That is just awesome.

I am going to be having my hormone tests reviewed tomorrow, hoping for more answers myself.

13. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Do I get this right... if my BG initially goes down into 70s after eating but then bounces back up into 90s and 100s if I don't eat for several hours - that means I'm LS at muscle but LR at liver, correct?

14. 90 to 100 in a fasted state is fine as I understand it. What we here are experiencing is normal number pre and post food numbers but high (well over 100) Fasting numbers. ie first thing in the am.

15. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I think optimal is under 85 consistently fasted.

16. I believe, previously in this post Doc says 88 or lower, close enough!

but yeah that is where we are trying to get to.........lots of ct'ing and patience i suppose!

17. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Good luck, BagladyLKN! I hope your results will help you big time!!

18. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

I read research in the past that 87 mg/dL is a threshold associated with avoiding glucose triggered damage so it makes good sense to have FBG of 88 or below as a target for that purpose. For other reasons I am unaware.

Mine ranged between 70 and 80 when I was younger, so that is my target now.

19. sd13

sd13 New Member

Thanks!

What is your water temp for ct? I think the lowering of numbers takes a long time (well, for me it did) so hang tough. I added more frozen bottles to my ct this morning--water temp was 42, forty minutes.

20. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Mine used to be around 77. I am not sure why it changed in the last couple of years.