1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

iceman. IR and FBG. Dr K nugget in the comments

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by CoolingWeb, Mar 19, 2012.

1. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Hi Adria,

How much was is when you started?

How long did it take to get at this point?

What is your diet, exercise and CT patterns?

Please. :)

Cooling

2. Adria

Adria New Member

Hey Cooling,

My FGB was always around 100 before CT. I've been keto-paleo since 2009 and VLC 20yrs. Also 20+yrs weightlifting and yoga, but upon starting CT I went down to only 2hrs per wk total for exercise (1hr yoga, 1hr lifting).

The only change I've made is adding CT, now @5 wks CT.

3. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Thanx Adria for your reply.

Guys, I am a little confused.

3 months ago I was doing LC. I did have lots of salads, strawberries, some cheese and some yoghourt along with healthy amount of protein(200g) and fats.

I had all the LS signs and was feeling great.

my FBG was 85-90 every morning.

Then end of Feb/2012 I stared going into ketosis alot. No more dairy at all. No more strawberries and No salads. Occasionally, garlic in the food to help with leaky gut. Lots of curcumin and ginger, cinnamon. Along all this goodness I started CT too. I swim in the sea 3-4 times a week. Get really cold. water temp 65F

Things improved a lot. I lost another 7lbs and body composition is the best I had in 20 years. I can see 8 pack shadows. lost 40lbs in 4months . now about 200lbs ..6'2". I LGN . LOL

almost always 2 meals a day. BAB at 6-7am and second BAB at 3-4pm. Good appetite but no hunger between meals. sleep by 8-9pm for 8 hours ..

BUT, the FBG is about 110 since.

Is this due to keto?

Muscles become more IR in such a case to leave the glucose for the brain?

is my liver LR or IR and is dumping more glucose in the body than needed in the morning?

something else?

What should I do to get back into 80s?

Would eating lots of veggies again help cells in their intercommunication and lead to better IS?

:)

Cooling

4. Owl

Owl New Member

I'm wondering if I have something similar going on. I've been on the leptin reset for 8 months. Before that, my fasting BG was 83, my HA1c was 5.9. I just got tested and my HA1c has gone down to 5.4, but my BG has gone up to 88. Weird.

I'm thinking it may be this:

"The Somogyi Effect occurs after a rapid drop in blood sugar levels sometime during sleep. The body responds by releasing stored glucose (released from glycogen stores) from the muscles and liver in an attempt to elevate blood sugar levels. The body may overcompensate, releasing large amounts of glycogen which results in a "rebound" effect, causing hyperglycemia termed "Somogyi Effect."

This may happen anytime during sleep, but hypoglycemia usually occurs around 3 a.m. The hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) episode is followed by an elevated is followed by an elevated blood sugar level towards morning. Going to bed without a snack or low blood-sugar, inadequate food eaten for exercise, and too much insulin contribute to this response. "

So I'm thinking it may be because I'm eating a BAB and a late lunch and no dinner. It may be too long for me between my last meal and bedtime.

5. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Just keep in mind it could be hormonal. At least, it was for me. When I started LR, my FBS was ever climbing even over 110. Dr. Kruse mentioned that sometimes the liver needs time to adjust. I also took his advice to test my hormones. Of course, he was right! Since I started estrogen supplementation, my FBS fell into 80th.

6. Owl

Owl New Member

That's interesting. I'm on BHRT cream, but my levels of all hormones have been falling lately. I thought it was an absorption issue, so I changed the places I apply it and it hasn't helped much. So maybe I'm making less hormones now and need to up the dose. I'll get BG retested after that to see if the hormones make a difference.

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Toxin dump can affect FBG.......just keep CTing.

Kristi Lambert likes this.
  8. Destiny

Destiny New Member

It is all about balancing the hormones. I just finished the Natural Hormone balance for women book by Uzzu Reiss. He says that tests are good but not enough. You also need to go by your individual symptoms of imbalance either way. If you are not absorbing the cream well, maybe drops under tongue would be more effective?

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

this is totally true.....clinical symptoms trump labs all the time. This is why you need a good doc.

rlee314 likes this.
  10. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Insulin-mediated whole body glucose uptake rates increased from 6.3 ± 0.6 to 7.3 ± 0.3 mg·kg–1·min–1 (P = 0.03), and insulin-induced inhibition of adipose tissue lipolysis was more prominent after than before the intervention (P = 0.05).

http://jap.physiology.org/content/99/6/2128.full

IF anyone?

Cooling

11. mambo

mambo New Member

FBGs are not reliable day to day. You should perhaps use at least a 3-day average. Also, if you're doing keto, the FBG could climb to as high as 110: physiological insulin resistance. It's well-known when you do low-carbing, you can even fail the OGTT test since you're not that insulin sensitive. However, this changes quickly when you start eating enough carbs. As long as your HbA1c is in range, you should be ok.

12. primat

primat Silver

Why would one want an oral glucose tolerance test in the middle of winter when cold-adapting? And why settle for an HbA1c that's OK when one can get to optimal? There are no safe starches...

13. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Yesss Sir.

:)

Top of the morning to you Dr.K

14. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Yes. I know that it does. Thank you for the reminder. :)

A1C may not be a good guide in this case. It is a total average. morning FBG 110 + day long BG 90s will give a A1C based on the 90s.

I think I should do this mid summer when carb intake is the highest.

I am bringing back the almost raw to raw veggies again now that it is spring. That along with lots of curcumin, cinnamon, ginger and other herb spices I hope that liver would regain its IS and LS.

The hard core CT (50f or 10c) is not a possibility till next winter. I am swimming in 17-20c waters though. I am still losing fat and weight. about 1-2 lbs a week now.

The 8 pack abs are just around the corner. I can see shadows already.

An Apple is still a no no . send my BG to 170-180 1hr postprandial

Cooling

15. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Guys,

Did life style change affect your insulin sensitivity?

I lead a sedentary life style. I work from home. Mostly from my bed. Get out mainly for gym and swimming. Most people have breakfast and leave the house. But I go back to bed and start reading and answering emails and such.

I think this is probably killing me. Movement has to be the most important factor in IR and health maintenance. (Factor X is the opposite I know but that is for a whole different playing field)

Basically, did you observer any changes in movement patterns from when you were IR to when you got better?

Cooling.

16. LinD

LinD New Member

Perhaps because it's just yet another way to impact the system?

17. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

18. maggie

maggie New Member

I've been been eating low carb since 2007. Eventually my fasting numbers were always over 100, just as described in the low-carb forums. I accepted the explanation about periphoral IR to spare glucose for the brain, but I always wondered why it was supposed to be OK--I mean you're still glycating, right? During allergy seasons and under stress, they'd go way over 100 (sometimes 120-130).

They stayed a little over 100 during the LR (12/1-1/31), but went way down with CT starting in February. Now fasting is usually in the 70's or 80's. During the day, I rarely see a number over 100. My 30-day average on my glucometer is now 84, 7-day is 80. Yesterday I CT'd in the tub (not long) and spot CT'd on my belly for about 1 1/2 hours. This a.m. FBG was 67. Having struggled with this for several years, it's really strange to be seeing those numbers consistently.

I wonder if the low numbers are actually OK. I mean, is this like low body temp, low thyroid--good for longevity because the metabolism is burning at a lower flame?

I've read that Glucophage is a good medicine--it kills cancer stem cells and seems to be effective against Hep C as well as increasing hepatic insulin sensitivity. Unfortunately I couldn't tolerate it, and now I'm thinking CT might just be protective against those nasty things anyway.

19. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

...and I know that you said in the comments of CT 8 to someone that CT + keto diet can be enough without BHRT. I assume that's if the person started this protocol from early on (20's 'like myself') and BHRT for those who didn't have the chance for this protocol before.

I know at least it is something for me to keep in mind for later years and will do more regular testing starting at 30. (Am too broke right now anyway, and have some physical signs that indicate to me that my liver and hormones are correcting themselves nicely atm).

20. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

Cooling, your results are really great! Keep up the good work. It's good that even less cold waters can still help. I myself have really benefited from keto seafood (but Post Leptin Rx) + CT. My stomach is completely flat now, my arms have some definition as well as my legs show more muscle definition with much reduced boobs and behind. Hopefully I can get more 6 pack look soon. Maybe I should continue more with spot CT on abs. ;-) lol