1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

iceman. IR and FBG. Dr K nugget in the comments

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by CoolingWeb, Mar 19, 2012.

1. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

2. Snowyky

Snowyky New Member

CT has lowered mine by 10 points, I've already had in under control but could never get it below 100mmol/L, it's been averaging 90mmol/L since CT started. I've hit 90mmol/L often at fasting and after meals glucose testing.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

CT destroys the FBG........it is why I tell all my diabetics if you want to see some magic get cold.

Benjamin Stone and Danco3636 like this.
  4. DaveJF

DaveJF New Member

Sounds similar to my experience. Before CT my FBG was usually 115 to 125 after 2+ years low-carb on top of losing 60 lbs (28 percent), getting down to 12% BF, and trying _everything_ else I could think of short of prescription drugs or severe calorie restriction. Two weeks after starting CT, it's now 95 to 105 mg/dL, and more often than not below 100 mg/dL.

5. I'd like to echo the doc here. I'm T2D, Leptin Rx about a month, down about 10 pounds.

Second ice bath (first one I checked, about 40 mins), BG before - 118.8, after - 79.2, next morning, FBG - 104.4, lowest it's been in a year, even a few months on metformin only dropped it to high 120s.

Third ice bath (last night, about 40 mins), BG before - 104.4, after - 82.8, next morning, FBG 104.4. I also skipped the day's metformin because of fasting tests at the clinic and forgot again last night.

Needless to say, I think Dr. Kruse is a superstar! Thanks Doc!

Dave

6. Adria

Adria New Member

My fasting blood glucose is down to 60. Then it only goes up to about 72 after eating, during the day. This is only since CT as I've been keto-paleo 3yrs. Lately been a little dizzy in the am and wake up very thirsty. Prior to CT, FBG averaged about 100. Not sure how low it should be?

7. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

Thank you for sharing guys,

I know that walking (low intensity cardio) increase the glucose uptake by muscles. Basically, it makes the cell drink up the circulating glucose. It is a built in pathway. But, this is not the same as being insulin sensitive.

I wonder if CT is having the same effect on the cell?

Or is it a _real_ insulin sensitivity increase?

My understanding of insulin sensitivity is like a very little spray of insulin perfume that is enough to make the all body cells open to glucose. BG is 70s all the time.

Exercise depletes glucose from blood but that is not IS.

Cooling

8. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

I'm wondering the same thing cooling. As I sat shivering for over an hour I thought about all my GLUT-4 activation.

I occasionally measure my BG for fun.. it's lower since starting CT even of the wimpy varieties.

9. Cody

Cody New Member

I am guessing that CT works because of the lowered systemic inflammation...

10. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

good thinking Cody. Assuming one doesn't have systemic inflammation and it still dramatically (10+ avg reduction) affects BG what would you think it is?

I still can't discount, for me, the 75-90 minutes of shivering. Context is everything though, i have the low-carb high FBG thing going on where my FBG in the AM is generally ~98, and now it's like ~80... with margin of error that's still significant. My inflammation *may* be lower than it was before, i don't have any hs-crp numbers to compare unfortunately. However, I have my diet totally dialed at this point and my exercise too, I know what inflammation feels like now from multiple iterations and I'm ruling it out for me, at this time.

11. Chrisgraff

Chrisgraff New Member

Adria,

It's my understanding that FBG shouldn't go lower than 80. You should be very careful - blackout is somewhere around 50.

FYI - Many diabetics use "smarties" or "SweeTarts" candy for emergencies; they are mostly glucose.

12. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

Hi Chrisgraff,

I have read conflicting reports on that... for example some older doctors say back in the 1950s their patients would have FBG of 50-60 and be totally fine. From what I've read of modern diabetics somewhere around 40 is blackout range and they will only hit that because they supplemented themselves with more insulin than they should have. If you are not a type-1 diabetic then this would not be an issue for you unless your liver was depleted of glycogen and you had already wasted all your muscle mass for gluconeogenesis and don't have any fat for gluconeogenesis (new research shows that this happens).

So let's not jump to being worried about going below 80.

2c,

jesse

13. Cody

Cody New Member

I agree. SweeTarts? Smarties? They should be called death candy...

14. Christi Lynn

Christi Lynn New Member

I have to say I believe that is person dependent. Of course you shouldn't go too low but everyone's lows are different as to what is too low. I easily function and feel fine in the mid 40's.....have never blacked out from that or even felt dizzy.....the one time I had my most dramatic low swing was 24 (no I am not diabetic) from another health issue.....with that I did feel very dizzy and was seeing grey spots ready to pass out and hubby helped me sit and get a protein shake down and it passed within about 10 minutes and I felt better, although weak the next few hours......of course I'd never recommend anyone to go too low "for them" but I have diabetic patients come in to the hospital in the 20's and end up on a ventilator for awhile until things are fixed......so yes be careful but in my humble opinion if you feel fine in the 50's and non=symptomatic then its fine.

15. Birdy

Birdy New Member

Interesting link. I noticed that they went into IF. Honestly, I don't understand why so many people just won't listen to Dr. K's arguments on this. Dr. K asked me to post this info in the comments section, but it seems like all my posts have disappeared. I did IF successfully for several years, but after things got worse for me weight-wise and hormonally, IF was a disaster. I developed nighttime cravings, and weird moods. I know a bunch of people on other sites who don't do well on it, mostly depression. If you are IR, you are probably also a big sugar burner. Being on IF as a chronic sugar-burner means that you are binging on carbs on the on times, and starving yourself during the fast. Not fun at all. Contrast that to what happens after the leptin reset. You're going along fine one day and then you realize that is is 3:30 in the afternoon and you forgot to eat lunch.

16. LisaAPB

LisaAPB New Member

I've been basically Paleo/Primal for 18 months. My blood sugar started in the 120/130 range. Through dietary changes, and walking more, I got it into the 90/95 range. I thought that was pretty good. I started CT the first of February, and now my fasting glucose is 80 or less. Cold clears out excess glucose. Every diabetic should be doing this!

17. CoolingWeb

CoolingWeb New Member

BAT is key to our metabolism. CT will increase BAT percentage and this leads to better IS?

Brown adipose tissue-specific insulin receptor knockout shows diabetic phenotype without insulin resistance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11602628

"cold exposure corrected hyperlipidemia and improved deleterious effects of insulin resistance."

http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v17/n2/full/nm.2297.html

The fatter you are the less BAT you have.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0810780

Cooling

18. Adria

Adria New Member

My FBG is still about 60 and goes into the 70's after eating. I feel good. The thirst and dizziness I had earlier this week are now gone. At the same time, just this week, I started having my first "heating up" after CT. I can feel the heat radiating w/ no shivering.

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

bingo....and it empties fat cells......but here is the biggie for IR......it cause fat cell apoptosis. that is the real problem in diabetics. It is not just the fat in the cell......it is the shear number of fat cells that have to go too.......only cold does this naturally Re read CT 6......

Brent Patrick likes this.
  20. David

David Silver

After nearly 7 weeks on Leptin Rx and 3 weeks of CT, my FBG is now consistently in the 88-92 range for the first time, well, ever.