1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

I think I hacked some unpleasantness of the cold tub!

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by jeanie@truelongmont.com, Apr 5, 2012.

1. I remembered Jack saying he would sometimes sit in the hottub with warmer water on his bottom half, while icing the upper.

This inspired me. I've been having a real hard time getting into the tub, because of the shivering. So last night I put a big ol space heater up by the tub (caution, don't do where it could fall IN the tub). So it was roasting my head and feet as I put each of them near the hot areas. Meanwhile, my lower half was in the 50 degree water and getting chilled properly.

I don't know if this hurts the CT process, hopefully someone that knows will say.

The outcome was A W E S O M E! No shivering, and I made it all the way to 55 mins (and could have stayed longer cept it was time to put the kiddos to bed). Previously 25 mins was my max, and I was miserable for a bit after.

My skin temp got down to the 55ish zone. I was certainly cold on the cold parts for hours after, but I think I was firmly in the non-shivering-thermogen stage vs the internal full body shivvvver.

If this temp variance is allowed, and the CT is still all good with the contrast in temp, it sure did make it easier!

2. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I don't think this will hurt your efforts, anything to make it more bearable has to be good.

I am amazed at you folks doing 50 degree baths. I lowered my hot tub down to 75 degrees and I think that feels damn cold-- especially when the pump kicks on. I get these kind of mini-shivers at 75 degrees. I will try 65 degrees next week.

I have also been walking around in the snow&ice barefoot in 20 degree air this week just prior to getting in the 75 degree water. I am amazed that anyone (Wim Hof) could run a marathon in the snow while barefoot. The sharp ice stabs at you, but the cold makes your feet go numb in just a few minutes.

I'm so sad our Alaska Winter is coming to an end, supposed to be 50 today. Snow melting fast.

3. Croak

Croak New Member

What's this 50 stuff you talkin' 'bout Willis? Mine is 40f when I get in, 45ish when I get out an hour later. :)

4. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

I have a feeling that once you get below 75 it feels cold... and somewhere around 40-45 you get so numb that it's actually easier than 55.

I'm just making this up...

I have no idea if the hot air is going to set back your CT. What do we really know about CT? Dr. Kruse said something about getting the skin to 50-55degrees and that this lets your body know a big change is coming. But he has alluded to steepening the gradient, and also that getting in the warm sauna after a CT session will undo the effects. But then he sits in his warm tub while wearing ice.

A lot of variables... I don't know that anyone is in a position to actually answer these questions at this time. It's not like Dr. Kruse has a bunch of control groups trying every approach. I take what he says as more of a canned answer that is guaranteed to work, not a minimalist approach at all. My 2c.

jesse

5. TheKid

TheKid Gold

Well if you want unpleasantness, try doing only showers. I don't have an alternative soon have to use the cooled showers at my gym. Usually constant at 50-55. But every so often it dips into the high 40s. Yesterday was one of those days, and I can tell you that it, how shall we say, challenging.

I am really thinking of buying a huge. Garbage can instead. Guess I need to buy an ice maker as well.

6. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

I actually think you are right with this. I live in the same city as Croak and find the colder water is easier to take than the 55F

7. meyoolia@gmail.com

meyoolia@gmail.com New Member

Hey ColleenM & Croak - I'm gonna be in Vancouver this month from 18th to 26th for a music-teaching conference.... wanna join me in a lunatic ocean dip? lol! (seriously!) :rolleyes: I'm definitely gonna get in to the chest for a few minutes, might not risk more due to FINALLY starting to get over this extended scalp/neck cold urticaria, but game for rib depth! "lunacy" loves company ;)

8. Croak

Croak New Member

Sounds like fun, but I'll be in London during most of that period.

9. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Great idea, Cavemam!

I've noticed a time or two where I was a bit reluctant. I just put on some slightly warmer clothing, and half an hour later my attitude had reversed. I think with time I'll have better control over my internal temp.

Glad you found a work-around. :)

-Sally

10. AKMan

AKMan New Member

If your end goal is to swim 300 yards under the ice, you would probably want to work your way down to 32.5 degree water for as long as you could, but if your goal is 'to get cold adapted so as to evoke an ancient pathway to longevity and miraculous health' then what we are all doing is probably fine.

11. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

Cavemam, I did a similar thing- I used a space heater to warm my bathroom and left my feet/hands out of the water (55º) and I have a big cold pack on my belly. I still got lots of results (including detox results!) Now that it's warmer out and I'm more cold adapted, the water doesn't feel so bad. I'm also experimenting with warmer water (65º) with more immersion, since BAT is still activated at this temp. It feels pretty good!

Now that my water temps are higher, I can even go straight into a slightly cool shower and then almost immediately go full cold and actually enjoy it:)

I should clarify: I'm also doing ice wraps all the way around my torso on my skin, so I'm def. still getting some major cold. In fact, the coldest I feel is after taking off the ice!

12. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

it`s possible, will depend on how busy they have me at work but let`s chat!

13. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

This is again confirming that colder is easier due to the numbing.

jesse

14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I did a ton of Deep CT after my surgery. That was the hardest CT I have ever done.

15. caroline

caroline New Member

Did you say you were packed in ice? How long were you able to endure that? You are one tough bugger!! Pardon the language

16. Croak

Croak New Member

The word bugger doesn't have much impact in the US, as most don't realize what the root verb describes. :)

17. Coriander

Coriander Silver

:) (damn, I can't just post a smiley)

18. Good to know this. I think even after two baths like this, the longer time seems to be having some effect. I am up on how BAT is activated and possibly generates, and how Non shivering is the way to go for that - but I'm unclear on total effect on adapting and starting to use the non hypothalamic pathway. (heh, I have a hard time saying ancient pathway, I think it makes me sound like a hippie kook)

I think I will keep doing this for a couple of weeks, and if no results, might try to change it up a bit. I can't tell if I'm still having detox symptoms or pre-menapausal ones!

19. quelsen

quelsen New Member

i stay as submerged as i possibly can. flipping over the time allotted to get all sides.

i have no idea what i would do for an hour that way. i mean i cant read while on my stomach or sides.

20. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Podcasts! Also, you can download (I think it's called) "natural reader", which will read any web page you want in a weird female robotic voice. :) It's free.

I turned the house air way up when I was taking baths in the winter (60 degrees or less). Now the tap water is closer to 75 and the outdoor air is 80 and i relish the cold baths!