1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

I need sleep......

Discussion in 'The Leptin Rx' started by janagram, Jul 27, 2012.

1. janagram

janagram New Member

:( sure, I wanted to lose 30 lbs....but my sleep was horrid and I came to see that I won't lose weight until I sleep and now sleep is the major goal, forget the 30 lbs! my journal shows a pattern of sleep getting better, then bad again...

Things I've tried:

1. Improve circadian rhythms....blublocker light in bedroom, try to get to bed by 11 (or earlier)

2. taking small dose pregnenolone...(now I read that for some this works the other way)

3. no alcohol (not a cure-all)

4. no eating 4 hrs before bed

I'm sure these things help some but.....(thyroid tests came out pretty ok...)

2. ealachan

ealachan New Member

My sleep has improved a lot since I started respecting the daylight cycles more, but it's definitely still not perfect. I think it might just be another one of those non-linear things that takes different amounts of time for different people, depending on what you've got going on.

Did you sleep ok before you started making all these life changes?

3. janagram

janagram New Member

H*** No! I haven't slept well in decades! You gotta understand I was vegetarian for 27 yrs.....!!!! Messed up my hormones.....I've been eating a sorta primal (too much grain) diet for 5 yrs, and following LR since feb. '12....

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Get your DHEA levels tested?

5. janagram

janagram New Member

No, not yet, but yeah, I think that is needed...hormone testing, here I come!

6. ealachan

ealachan New Member

ooooh, gotcha. Yeah, I have a feeling you might have some hormonal turmoil going on, there!

7. janagram

janagram New Member

sleeping better....really happy about it...I'll say more when I think I understand what is working for me...

8. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Can you share what have you been trying? Any time I think my sleep is getting better, it gets worse.

9. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Can't remember, are you taking DHEA or had it tested yet? That has been my ticket to sleep.

10. janagram

janagram New Member

Destiny, I've had the same experience many times....better sleep, then down into insomnia again....but I am doing some different things.

Thank you, Vk!!! A ticket to sleep! I have for the last 2 wks been taking 7 keto dhea, progesterone cream, and the really new one, estriol cream! And I stick to the LR diet, am quasi-epi-paleo, (eating much more fish) ......I am super hopeful!

Oh, and I follow circadian rhythms and am using a sleep mask (new!)

11. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Amazing, your story is exactly like mine. I am doing and taking everything like you except for 7 Keto DHEA. I tried pregnenolone a few weeks ago but had to stop. I really had a hard time with it. I have an upcoming consult on Saturday so I shall see.

I hope it works for you!

12. Destiny

Destiny New Member

No, I am not. My DHEAs was high on my salivary test and in the mid range on my blood test. I am waiting for my consult on Saturday to see what to do.

13. So Jana - are you lying there awake with the "hamster wheel brain"? Thinking of something like a work prob, or some neurotic thoughts? I think lets look at this from a different angle. . what is your body doing instead of sleep? Might provide some clues on which direction to go.

Also, have you ever done any deliberate music therapy? Music at a specific/steady beat actually can sync up neuron firing to get it more rhythmic and less chaotic, and can allow for metabolic processes to work in tangent . . ..

14. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I found it takes time for it to work, but it does. At least in my case and I "think" abetterme has had success with it too. After you start sleeping for a while, it seems that you worry less about waking up in the middle of the night cuz you have learned you will go right back to sleep MOST nights. I have relaxed a lot now since I know I sleep so much better. Sometimes I think when you wake and it is the NORM, you automatically go into overdrive of oh crap here we go again and actually make yourself wake up more.

15. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Ok. My sleep was really getting better, I was having nights where I got 8 whole, entire hours! Wow, it makes a difference. However, I started cycloset and metformin 3 days ago (on Jack's suggestion) to bring my FBG under control and bang! Bad sleep again. I have gone to bed by 10:30 the last 3 nights and every night like clockwork, I wake up at 2:30 am. The worst part is that I am not able to get back to sleep at all. So, 4 hours per night for the last 3 nights. Can the cycloset do this? Has anyone else had this problem? I already take 3 mg of melatonin at night, but I'm thinking a unisom sounds really good tonight too! I need to stay asleep!

16. janagram

janagram New Member

cavemam, I like the music therapy idea!You should put out a CD!

Actually, my mind is not going crazy (I'm retired!)...when I wake up at 4 its more like I'm bored just lying there....and sometimes like vkiernan where my mind goes, oh crap...here we go again. I could just get up but I don't cuz that doesn't seem right...if I were told that 4 hrs of sleep is fine, I would be ok, but I know its not fine ...

I hope kathylu and Destiny will keep us posted on their progress too...

Oh, and last night....good sleep! (they're racking up)

17. janagram

janagram New Member

oh and I forgot...maybe this is the added component (of a couple wks ago) thats really helping.....drumroll...GABA! 750 mg. at night. Working......!!!

18. vkiernan, would you mind sharing how DHEA has been your ticket to sleep? Did your MD help you figure out the right dose? Mine just said "try with 10 or 20mg" based on my ASI....not too helpful.

19. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I'm taking 100 mg DHEA and 50 mg 7-keto, 100 mg progesterone (transdermal), 5 mg melatonin, no caffeine, use blue blockers and I still can't sleep. I go to bed by 11 pm and I wake up about 4.5 hours later (and I mean wide-awake!). It seems like about every 3rd night I get 6 hours of sleep. I occasionally resort to unisom, which only works partially, meaning I'll get maybe 7 hours of sleep. I still think it's the cycloset I'm taking, that's when my sleep quality really degraded. I'm trying to wait it out, to see if I can adjust to the meds. I have my next salivary cortisol next week...maybe that will show what's going on.

20. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I slept from 9:30 PM to 6 AM last night. Even the previous nights were better than what I was used too. I hope it lasts!