1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

I need more help........to help you better.

Discussion in 'Feedback/Suggestions' started by Jack Kruse, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Albert83BCN

Albert83BCN New Member

I also loved the date index. In fact, I thought that you decided to get rid of it for some reason but now that I see your frustration, I wonder... why did it need to be removed? A technical issue? I can see that all posts still maintain their original date so... why not to rebuild a new index? Archives are sometimes a feature given with certain themes and not on others, on Wordpress. But, if your theme doesn't have it, there are plugins that allow to have an archive section, so it should be easy to get a new one. Here's some random posts I found on a quick search on the net with some info for you to digg in, in case you want to. I think your technical team shouldn't have much of a problem implementing something like this:

https://www.iacquire.com/blog/13-wordpress-plugins-to-organize-and-sort-your-content
    http://www.wpuniversity.com/wordpress-tips/the-top-5-plugins-manage-your-pages-and-post-order/
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/smart-archives-reloaded/screenshots/

I'm still at 2012 regarding with the blogposts and although I've heard almost all free podcasts existing to date and I think I can somehow handle the latests series, I still love to read it in a chronological order so I can get the feeling of how the blog evolved from 2011 till now. I hope you can get it back! :D

Some more things. I personally think that the posts are a little bit hard to deal with from a visual perspective. I know it's a pain in the ass first hand but, to see some related images in each paragraph would make it a lot more easy to digest. I know that the great information laid down is the big deal here and the biggest value but, still, a few images would help making things easier, it could help people understand the ideas more easily. I say this because I myself I'm quite dense and need a lot of visual stimulation to understand things. That's a reason why when I see long blogpost with a lot of text but no images tend to avoid it. Yours are amongst the only ones I push through even if they don't fell appealign to get inmersed with as I prioritize the critical info I know I'll get away with. But some new reader won't have that background to decide to stay. Although it might be counter-intuitive, if your goal is to reach people I think it's a good thing to consider. I've seem some of the videos that have been recently posted on the site and I love the idea. That's where I'd like to see the future of the site, but I also realize that doing videos is very resource consuming and can only be done occasionally. I think the blogposts could still do the job with a few hacks like these.

I've also wondered many times if every blog you did could have been a podcast, that would certainly make my life easier as I cannot afford to invest all the time I would reading them. Hearing to the podcasts it's easier to some people as you can squeeze some time when you're travelling to listen to them. Well, turns out that there are some plugins that allow to turn a blogpost into a podcast or at least do real time text-to-speech (http://www.wpjedi.com/convert-wordpress-posts-to-audio-3-text-to-speech-plugins-tools/). I've never played with them and I'm not sure they'd be a good idea once implemented to tell the truth, but maybe it's something worth giving a try. I get that putting a synthesized voice over your ideas would suck big time and I know you're very into the idea of getting the 3rd dimension from people that is lacking on the net but... again, as a user I think it could be really useful to me so probably to some others as well.

Well, just some random ideas I got right now. If I can think about something more I'll let you know!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Shijin13 likes this.
  2. caroline

caroline New Member

I often find that I have to keep looking up words too - and the abbreviated forms of things drives me nuts if I don't remember - is it just me?

Quite awhile ago Sean was trying to start a blog to simplify some of this stuff - I don't think that was a good idea - but one thing he did I loved - you could click on the word and the meaning would come up - I don't know what you call that.
    It made it so much easier.

3. caroline

caroline New Member

that really surprises me that you caved on a few things. ....you always tell us to trust the Doctor in our head....
    Why didn't you trust the doctor in your head? Your instincts?

Your the one paying the bills and you know where you are heading ..... You have a master plan ....and you are doing great!

In all our renovations .... I used to tell the trades to do what they thought was best ....how ridiculous - I soon learned the hard way ....they do what is easiest!

I was the one with the vision and the plan ....they know nothing of that - and by the way ....could care less really.

Shijin13 likes this.
  4. Albert83BCN

Albert83BCN New Member

Ahá, some e-learning tools like Moodle have a built-in glossary that has that feature, for instance my college virtual campus has it. A quick google search reveals that there are plugins for Wordpress that can mimic that, see this
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-glossary/screenshots/

Building a glossary is a little bit time consuming but would certainly be quite cool for the end users. A collaborative one would be a great option in order to grow a powerful information system but I guess in a site like this having centralization over which contents are published weights more... maybe the task could be leveraged to some power users like the admins/moderators, there are options to consider :D

caroline likes this.
  5. caroline

caroline New Member

That would be so great .... I continually forget what sme words mean and it is so frustrating to have to stop and look it up! I am always in a hurry to get to the gold!!

I am pretty impatient I think....

6. this is the problem with any living systems approach, there is no start, there is no finish, only whole. it is why us holistic practitioners get frustrated haha

7. Marie

Marie New Member

You need to contextualize the process of disease and allow people to easily see where they are in the process. Picture a 5x5 grid with specific disease stations NAMED in them, much the same way the MBTI grid works to define personality. This gives the readers a visual anchor and a direction for their healing process. You should be able to classify 80% of the population's location using this grid, and using 5-7 data points/inputs. Don't use more than 7 data points, as that's the point where learning to distinguish between differences disintegrates. (Picture the difference between a 5x5 grid with 25 types and a 7x7 grid with 49 types. It becomes too difficult to navigate as the classifications increase.)

Each box in the grid would have the following:
    A Name/Archetype
    5-7 Expected lab results that identify this "type"
    Likely specific Symptoms
    Rx priorities
    Links to more info (This leads to a supporting page for this type)

The vast majority of the population cannot deal with ambiguity, so allowing people to quickly see which bucket they fall into, and how to move into a "better" bucket through specific actions. This is very motivating. Plus there needs to be more visual anchors, in general, on the site. If each box on the grid feeds into specific information, courses, or even forums, it will personalize the experience while building contextual knowledge that naturally links to other boxes. New people may be at first focused on their own "type", but will naturally progress through learning the types as they learn more about the entire system.

There may be specific points on the Quilt that apply more for one archetype than the other, so building resonance early on leads to community, which leads to retention (of both knowledge and customers).

For the long run, you need to figure out how to build something that monetizes the system you've developed and doesn't rely, or minimally relies, on your input/time. The way the website currently works is a recipe for burnout. NO ONE should work more than 20 hours a week, IMHO. We should all have more time for our families, for the arts, and for pursuing challenges.

8. Caroline: I know what you mean about the meanings of words or acynonmys. Like for quite a while I thought QED might stand for "Quad Erat Demonstandum" which is Latin and means "Thus it is Proved" It was what we used to put at the end of one of Euclid's geometry proofs. I was pretty sure it was NOT that but only recently I realize it stands for "Quantum Electro Dynamics" which now make all the sense in the world.

I don't really have a suggestion for Dr K but wonder how he does as much as he does. Personally I value the blogs and webinars very much and would be happy with just that, I wonder if responding here is the best use of his time.

caroline likes this.
  9. caroline

caroline New Member

I agree Patrick - I always forget what that stuff means .... I suppose dr. K. Must think that is really dumb - but those terms are so unfamiliar.....

10. Nick

Nick New Member

Hi everyone,

I have been reading this thread with interest as this sort of activity cuts across my day day job and I may have some ideas to help sorting through this challenge. There are so many great ideas being suggested but the bit that is missing is the context to tie it all together.

I think we need to agree on the big picture about what this site is meant to achieve and then focus on the problems that need to be solved to achieve this.

To my way of thinking Jacks site is aimed to:

Change the way medicine is conducted clinically, starting with creating starfish that can spread the word.

If this is the reason Jack has created the site then this will be the northern star that we can all navigate the various problems that need to be solved by.

These are a list of problems that need to be solved in this context. I have quite a few ideas about answers to these and many have already been suggested but for the moment I would just like to tightly define the problems that need to be solved.

1. The site needs to cater to wide variety of starfish, from the Neil's and Robbs's of the world down to brain fogged non technical family members. Both ends of the spectrum contain valuable starfish but have different requirements to learn what they require.

2. There is no simple area for beginners to understand the big picture and get involved. Caroline spends ages talking to newbies trying to get them started, where a simple starting area would save a lot of time. This is worthy of a lot of discussion regarding what tools need to be built or reshaped.

3. There is no clear area for professional to get the information they need to be armed to take on the system.

4. Blogs - At the beginning of a series there is no real intro to show where the series will go and what are the critical areas to keep a eye on are.

5. Forums - they are too diffuse and scattered. How do we keep all the critical info accessible and easy to find? Sitting ringside to Neil and randy being challenged by jack is priceless but how do we find these gems easily and quickly when we check the forum each morning?

6. Forums - how do we go back and find great info several months later. Jack has dropped bomb after bomb in threads over the years but I have no idea how to find them now!

7. Member - need to have quick access to all links easily for q&a's webinars etc

8. N=1 for newbies, understanding this context is tricky and how to manage around it. This ties into what labs are important when not understanding the implications of the n =1.

9. Links - how do we find links in forums, Facebook and webinars easily. There is a great video that I started watching from a blog link to the royal society but I don't know where to find it easily any more without first finding and opening a bunch of blogs.

10. Keeping the info from fb and the site co-ordinated so that one place has all of the links.

11. Case studies and success stories - these are hard to find but worth their weight in gold, the stories of tumors disappearing, mr pinkies families, the Aussie gymnast are great ways to help relate the hard science to great health outcomes.

12. The prescriptions need to be in one place that is easy to find. Maybe as the years go by JK could update more of the context around the rx's to keep it in sync with the latest blogs

13. It is hard to keep up with the terminology some days.

This is a quick list of the obvious problems that I can think of that would be nice to be addressed. Some are real quick fixes, other will need a lot of thought and planning.

The challenge here is to stick to basics without designing a gold plated Rolls Royce that jack can never build. We also need to keep a sense of perspective, the site is already amazing, it has changed people's lives forever and is full of great members and information. Jack has done a stunning job to get it to this point.

I hope this helps as a discussion point. I do this all the time at work and it is amazing how hard it is to keep a bunch of really smart people focused on solving specific problems with context rather than just coming up with disconnected great ideas.

Feel free to throw eggs at me if I'm not being helpfull!!!

Cheers

Nick

Sent from my iPad

RobH, Jude, Stella and 4 others like this.
  11. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

As Jack as said many times, in order for the impact of the website to scale, we need to rely on community members stepping up to help educate those around them.

I personally echo Neil's want for an accelerated track for Healthcare Practitioners (his post -- http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.ph...p-to-help-you-better.10616/page-3#post-123045) Ideally, these people should have the entire quilt laid out to them in whatever way possible. Comprehensibility and coherence isn't important here -- completeness of information is. I bet you can trust a Josh or a Neil to actively seek out the correct information and make the correct links.

---
    Personal Gripe

As a software developer that benefits hugely from Open Source Software, I personally do not subscribe to the philosophy of holding back information.

At least in software, we've discovered over time that you can give your product away completely for free. Most people use the product for free, but there's going to be some group of users, usually large corporations, who can't afford screw ups in their software, and have to integrate your new software offering into their own complex code base -- so you end up charging large companies lots of money for support fees to build a solution just for them. All this while, the little guy starting a software startup like me can still benefit from using really robust free software (and maybe end up becoming a large corp that ends up paying for software support). This is the business model behind many huge companies (RedHat with RHEL, Basho with Riak, etc ...)

Similarly, the Quilt forms the basic principles from which we derive our knowledge from. In my opinion all those principles should be laid out clearly in bullet form, focusing on the mechanism of action as much as possible, and not put much (if any) emphasis on case studies and diseases.

Here's an example of the style. I'm referencing the most recent podcast with Ameer Rosic, from which I made some notes of the first 5+ minutes -- http://www.ameerrosic.com/how-to-biohack-your-biochemistry-is-the-redox-potential-the-missing-link/:

Question: What is the redox potential?
    1. It's the electric charge on any membrane in your body, but the one that we're interested in is the one on the inner mitochondrial membrane
    2. The higher the charge, the lower the pH gradient needed to move Protons through the mitochondrial membrane.
    3. The mitochondria work on positively and negatively charged sub-atomic particles. Electrons (-) from food, and Protons (+) from water
    4. Mitochondria make huge amounts of protons, and within each proton is potential energy (H3O+)
    5. Both insufficient and excess proton flow can diminish your redox potential.
    6. When mitochondria produce protons, those protons need to be accepted by Water (to form H3O+).
    7. If these protons are not accepted by Water, they go on to form reactive oxygen species (ROS)
    8. These excess protons also lower pH in the cytosol. A low pH causes LESS electric charge over the inner mitochondrial membrane, and thus REDUCES your redox potential
    9. Repeat: excess protons decrease the electric charge on your inner mitochondrial membrane.
    10. A low electron flow can also diminish proton flow across the mitochondrial membrane

Question: How do you measure your redox potential?
    • The easiest way to measure the redox potential is the BUN/Creatinine ratio. It should be below 10:1, and ideally 7:1
    • The BUN/Creatinine ratio works because it is a measure of cellular hydration. Having water surrounding the mitochondria is KEY as described in point (6) and (7) in the previous question.
    Question: What kills your redox potential?
    • Dehydration
    • EMF (calcium efflux)
    I found that to be a hugely helpful starting point to explore the concept of the Redox Potential. It's almost a from-first-principles vantage point, from which the inquisitive mind will come away with more questions than answers. This forms the basis for the NeilBB's among us to do research and make connections.

For those who just want actionable steps, you've laid those out very well already in the Redox Rx blog post -- http://www.jackkruse.com/redox-rx/

Where you need to work your magic is in relating those principles to Hashi's, to Melasma, to Brain Cancer, to Hemachromatosis, to Lyme Disease, etc ... that in my mind is the unique value proposition that only someone with an intimate grasp of all the concepts in the Quilt can bring to the table.

----
    The ideal realistic scenario would be to have some sort of Wiki software, and then permit certain members of the community to contribute to collective Wikis that outline all the principles of the Quilt in detail.

Jack will have to seed all the necessary information by writing it out somewhere somehow. This doesn't have to be in a coherent form so long as the information is complete. From there, we can then rely on the community to do the grunt work of making sense of the information. We'll re-arrange, re-format, and make new connections to form a coherent piece, and Jack should act as a curator who stops us when we're running astray of the Quilt Principles.

In other words, my ideal Jackkruse.com would be:
    • A repository of ALL the principles of the Quilt
    • A central set of blog posts that act as "Gateways" into the Quilt Principles -- they show us how the Quilt applies in real-life examples
    • Jack acting as a curator of community generated content

---
    Transcriptions of Webinars and Audio

Ameer has the entire interview with Jack in textual form in the link I showed above. Ben Greenfield also gets all his podcasts transcribed.

This is relatively cheap, but may or may not be helpful. Personally, I would have found a transcription of the Mitochondrial Rx Webinar very helpful, since that's the sort of info that is better retained when read as opposed listened to.

Sidenote: the Quantum Sleep blog seemed to be almost a word-for-word rendition of the webinar. Do you write up your webinars before delivering them? If so, then would it be possible to make those notes or text available on the same page that we view webinars on?​

---

Apologies if the above sounds confrontational, and thanks for all the information that you've already put out there :).

RobH, Jude, PaulG and 10 others like this.
  12. ssj3

ssj3 Silver

Dr Kruse,

I assume that the main goal of creating an online presence was to educate others? If so, then this is where the majority of your time should be focused and how content should be delivered.

I believe that most paying members have joined to not only solve personal issues but to gradually build an understanding of your methodology and how to apply your knowledge. Granted that the desired level of knowledge will vary amongst members, I see a lack of the basic building blocks as a cause for "poor" questions, your frustration in answering the same type of questions and member confusion in comprehending new information and using it to build upon existing information.

A possible solution would be to build a "course" where each week/month, you outline and provide resources about what members should understand. I would see this starting from the very basic physics/biology principles and building up overtime (you may need two streams of this to cater for already knowledgeable members). Blue sky would be to actually have the facility to confirm their understanding before progressing to the next stage (sorry, engineering background kicking in).

The benefit in gradually developing this over time is that you will not have to find all the time up-front, only small amounts whenever it becomes available. If the cost is of concern, you could have members sign-up for this in say a 6 month or yearly time frame.

I have actually been thinking about this for sometime, as I have been trying to go back through old blogs and posts to better my understanding, but I find it inefficient without a system in place.

caroline and SeaHorse like this.
  13. Albert83BCN

Albert83BCN New Member

I was thinking that an online trivia that could be played on the site would be cool to play with the concepts. There could be also a ranking so we can list the members top scores or something like that, I'm thinking of gamification of the quilt! It might seem a weird idea but, playing is a great way to learn! I'm thinking about something like this (inspired in brain/gut 6):

There could be an explanation about why the answer is correct or not once the player answers. Maybe there could be different levels to play: the gut series, the CT series, quantum physics... or based on difficulty level, ie easy to advanced. They could also be centered on a topic so they may be linked at the end of a blog post to see if people understood it correctly! More question cards could be added as the quilt and the blogs develop in time. The possibilities are unlimited come to think about it. I think I might add it to my blog somewhere in the future! It would be fun to have such a game, wouldn't it? :D

nicld likes this.
  14. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

If Jack were to give the people who administer the blog software a list of his abbreviations, they should be able to arrange it so that whenever he uses one of them the text is automatically adjusted on posting so that what it stands for will show on mouse-over. You'll see this sometimes on blogs -- there'll be a little dotted line under the letters to clue you in that you can see more on mouse-over.

Effectively, a snippet of code could, for example, change every QED to:

Code:
    <abbr title="Quantum Electro Dynamics">QED</abbr>
    (You don't as a reader see what's in the angle-brackets, but the "title" will come up when you put the mouse-cursor on the word.)

Tanya and caroline like this.
  15. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

Nick…super overview and suggestions! It is getting to the principals that can organize the material and letting people in at many different levels of comprehension that is the tricky bit…

Transitioning the material from "how" it was written in serial format (next week, next blog, next month) to focussing on "why" it was written (the principals that you mention in your post) is necessary. People can't take three years of their lives to reproduce the process the way those of us who have been here for awhile have done.

The people who work with you are really lucky!:)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    caroline likes this.
  16. Andrea

Andrea What is NOT on the menu?

I seem to be the only one to quite like things the way they are. Except for a missing date index. :)

At first, I did find the site tricky and overwhelming (and crazy), but... One thing that attracts me to this place is that *I* need to do a lot thinking. In a way, Dr. K. has served us loads of information on a silver platter, he just doesn't force feed us.
    I love to see dr. K.'s thought processes and, in an odd way, I kind of enjoy my frustration from not understanding...
    I can't even pretend to understand 1 ppm of all the stuff written in the blogs or on this forum, but it is exactly what got me hooked. If there were simple and clear instructions and explanations, or flashy illustrations etc., I'd probably run away.

I'm very grateful for the work dr. K. has done and is sharing with us. And I like that he's doing it in his own way. The contents of this site are different from other people's blogs, so why shouldn't the way things are presented be different as well?

My top 3 wants:
    - A date index (for the blogs and podcasts).
    - Post all the good and important stuff on the blog or possibly in the forum, rather than Facebook/Twitter/etc.
    - Fix the member's dashboard issues that others have written about; after all, these are the people who have paid $$$.

Kristi Lambert, sooperb, RobH and 5 others like this.
  17. BJK77

BJK77 New Member

Something I always thought would be interesting and helpful is a "Day in the Life of" feature . . . maybe starting with Jack and then showcasing other members. Kind of a way to explain how they manage all the protocols and what they are finding that works for them. I'm not talking a blog post where they detail their history, etc, etc. Just a quick bullet point example of what a day may be like for them: what they're eating, how/when they do CT, how they get in earthing throughout the day, what they do to follow the light cycle (ie get sun 1st thing in AM, put blue blockers on at dusk).

Of course it should always be emphasized that everything is n=1, but I think that would be very helpful to newbies to show them that even though this all seems so overwhelming initially it is practical and can be done. It would also be good for oldies to review at times just to keep us on top of things. It's so easy to forget little pieces here and there when we're learning so much and making so many adjustments to our lifestyles.

Lahelada likes this.
  18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Well I will be talking about the future in the May Q & A......so be there if you want to hear it live. May 4th.

19. caroline

caroline New Member

I love everything you say here. From the beginning my understanding was that dr. K. Is teaching us to think - he always said he wouldn't dumb it down - if we have to read it 20 times - so be it.

It can be so hard and frustrating but I am learning amazing things and I wouldn't trade this life altering experience for anything.

I think it was hard for all of us getting started - just as it is now for newbies.....but that has been part of the experience - part of our own personal learning curve. Some people take a look and then can't be bothered - so unless it is spoon fed to them they really aren't interested .... In my opinion, that isn't what this is all about.

I have spent a lot of time with newbies - but I love it ....and it challenges me to make sure I know what I am talking about!

There are always going to be people that can't really be bothered anyway .....

There are lots of people that only come here when they want to sort out a problem and don't get involved in the community or give back and read others journals and offer help.

The forum has been great for developing relationships and we all try to help each other and also help the new people. I think it is amazing when one of us has an aha moment and then shares it with the rest.

Neil and Rob and Josh are great at lending a hand to us scientifically challenged!

Except for technical things ...I personally think that Dr. Kruse has done a great job.

Kristi Lambert and Albert83BCN like this.
  20. guys, i just posted this in the cave but should have put it here.

ive been trying to organise a visual flowchart/diagram to easily tie all concepts from the blog into one visual diagram/flowchart for ease of understanding for newcomers, after reading the comments here in the help thread.

does anyone want to help/throw ideas around in this thread for a format?

i am thinking the three legged stool of water light and magnetism in the center, with arrows and lines between them indicating how they tie together

we could perhaps then have various threads emerging outward as things get more detailed...

anyways any help would be welcomed, ive been over a few ideas in my head and want to start working on it to help the community and get newbs to have a decent understanding on firts sight, which will save Jack the frustration of harping over the same stuff again and again, as this tends to slow the momentum inherent in this type of energetic learning.

Shijin13 likes this.