1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

I can't sustain any improvement

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by Aerose91, May 24, 2020.

1. Aerose91

Aerose91 New Member

This has been consistent with me since the start of this and I see the same thing with most other M.E. sufferers as well.

If it's a nice, sunny day and I spend all day out in it with intermittent cold showers, I'll be at my highest baseline. Still mostly non-functional but the best I have been, anyway. The only time that makes me worse is mid-day when the sun is strongest. My Dr believes I have autoimmune encephalitis and I've heard that strong sun exhasterbates AI so I guess I agree.

Late afternoon when the sun is a little less strong is the best time of day for me- slightly less derealization and my moods are stable. However, my sleep is awful. Even if I'm in bed by 8:30 or 9, I'm rocked awake between 2 and 4 am with intense adrenaline dumps and that keeps me up the whole rest of the night. They only recede when the sun comes up

The biggest thing is, though, that even if i do everything perfect (DHA, sun, grounding, cooling off- cold will crash me) it isn't sustained. One cloudy day and I'm a complete wreck again. Horrible moods, adrenal fatigue is much more pronounced, depression, sugar cravings, cant even fall asleep. This has been my experience since I've been on this journey from 2015.

I have a friend in the M.E. community which lives in Rhode Island. She took 6 months and moved to Puerto Rico and felt much better there- less exercise intolerance et al. However, as soon as she returned to R.I. she regressed right back to where she started within a week. I notice this same effect.

Is this a trait unique to M.E. people? Autoimmune people? Adrenal fatigue? I'm playing with all 3 plus mast cell activation. Why wouldn't improvements ever be sustained?

2. Aerose91

Aerose91 New Member

I should add one more thing and I'm pretty sure this is related to adrenal fatigue- if i dont eat carbs i get zero sleep. It's awful. I'm currently back on the GAPS diet because that has seemed to give me the most stability in the past but it is inherently low carb. Fat doesnt make up the difference for me. I wont eat grains or anything so I'm left with a few vegetables but they never are enough to allow me to sleep. Any ideas how I can fix this?

3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

4. Dan2

Dan2 New Member

About needing to eat carbs to sleep, I fall asleep more easily after drinking raw milk that's been fermented until there's pretty much no lactose left in it, and it might be because of the insulin response from the amino acid profile in milk (see quotes below), and you might be eating carbs to get a similar insulin effect. I don't know what stage of the GAPS diet fermented raw milk would be included in but it's gotta be in there somewhere. If it's raw it'll have things in it that'll help with intestinal permeability, and the fermentation makes it more digestible, too, for lots of people. Put raw milk in a container at room temperature and over a few days to weeks, depending on the temperature, it'll turn to curds and whey, and mix those together regularly while it's fermenting and it'll result in a smooth blend like kefir. Be careful about carbon dioxide building up, especially if you're shaking it to mix it, and how full the container is -- it'll expand some slowly as it ferments (and sometimes suddenly ferment and expand much more quickly than previous days (each raw milk will be a little different)) or if you shake it and loosen the cap it can overflow.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-insulin/

"Both skim and whole milk (PDF) elicit significant insulin responses that you wouldn’t predict from looking at their protein and carb contents, and the fat in whole milk doesn’t blunt it (maybe non-homogenized whole milk would be a different story… I don’t know). Cream and butter are not particularly insulinogenic, while milk of all kinds, yogurt, cottage cheese, and anything with casein or whey, including powders and cottage cheese, elicits a significant insulin response. In one study (PDF), milk was even more insulinogenic than white bread, but less so than whey protein with added lactose and cheese with added lactose. Another study (PDF) found that full-fat fermented milk products and regular full-fat milk were about as insulinogenic as white bread.

What’s going on here? It comes down to the amino acid composition of dairy proteins, specifically the amino acids leucine, valine, lysine, and isoleucine. These are the truly insulinogenic proteins, and they’re highest in whey (which is probably why whey protein elicits the biggest insulin response).

...If full-fat dairy really did have similarly negative effects on the insulin response [as skim milk] that eventually led to the metabolic syndrome, you wouldn’t see studies showing that people who ate the most dairy fat were at the lowest risk for diabetes. You also wouldn’t see the high number of epidemiological studies (I know, I know) linking full-fat dairy intake with lower risk of heart disease and stroke, both of which are strongly linked with insulin resistance.

I think it’s more accurate to say that acute insulin spikes are different from chronically elevated insulin levels..."

From the comments:
    "It’s important to also keep in mind the way milk products were consumed when dairy was added to the human diet. Yes, it was raw, but it was also in different formats depending upon the season–fermented/fresh curd products in the spring, summer and fall and aged cheeses and butters during the winter. Domesticated animal lactation was (and should be) seasonal meaning dairy wasn’t consumed in the same quantities year-round."

"Cream and butter SHOULD NOT be considered, since they totally lack the insulinogenic aminos in question. End of story."

____

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postp...in,_large_neutral_amino_acids,_and_tryptophan

Postprandial somnolence (colloquially known as the itis,[1] food coma, after dinner dip, or postprandial sleep)

"Insulin stimulates the uptake of valine, leucine, and isoleucine into skeletal muscle, but not uptake of tryptophan. This lowers the ratio of these branched-chain amino acids in the bloodstream relative to tryptophan[12][13] (an aromatic amino acid), making tryptophan preferentially available to the large neutral amino acid transporter at the blood–brain barrier.[14][13] Uptake of tryptophan by the brain thus increases. In the brain, tryptophan is converted to serotonin,[15] which is then converted to melatonin. Increased brain serotonin and melatonin levels result in sleepiness.[16][17]"

https://www.dairynutrition.ca/facts-fallacies/health-concerns/sleep-and-tryptophan

"...some studies suggest that α-lactalbumin, a milk protein with a high tryptophan content, may also lead to improved sleep through an increase in the ratio of tryptophan to other amino acids in the blood.3,4,5 However, these studies looked at α-lactalbumin as a supplement to meals, meaning that more evidence is needed for a definite conclusion. Furthermore, whether the amount present in milk is sufficient to have an effect is unclear."

____

Also, kind of related, maybe useful to you -- I put more information about food in this thread:
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/correcting-high-omega-6-3-ratio.24801/
    And in combination with vitamin D, proportions of fat-soluble vitamins A and K2 can also affect autoimmunity and/or sleep -- about K2 in this thread:
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/natto.23874/

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  5. Aerose91

Aerose91 New Member

I appreciate you posting that. I actually have tried raw goat milk kefir that I make myself several times and it mauls me. Actually, I feel worse after any fermented food. I know the jury is still out on if fermented foods feed candida or kill it but all I know is they make me feel like hell. Figuring out the sleep thing would be a nice step

6. Dan2

Dan2 New Member

I just read this book about underdevelopment of the mouth and airways reducing oxygen availability, reducing sleep quality, affecting posture and movement, which can result cumulatively in a variety of symptoms, Six Foot Tiger Three Foot Cage by Felix Liao:

http://libgen.is/search.php?req=fel...open=0&view=simple&res=25&phrase=1&column=def

I just started looking into where there are dentists trained in that, and people trained in other similar methods of using dental appliances to expand and align the bones around the mouth and so the airways - called epigenetic orthopedics, dentofacial orthopedics or orthotropics, probably other names I haven't found yet. Probably expensive and a dentist knowledgable about it might need to be travelled to. It seems there's lots of similar methods with different names and so finding which dentists are trained in which ones means researching the similar methods some and searching for people nearby trained in each.

But it makes sense that airway volume, breathing stress, oxygen deficiency, head and neck and spine posture and so also cerebrospinal fluid circulation and lymph drainage from the brain, and sleep quality all being improved could help gradually fix lots of symptoms. Liao goes into a little detail about how it can affect the immune system, digestion, cardiovascular system, adrenals, mood.

Here's another similar method:
    https://www.righttogrow.org/dr_joseph_da_cruz

"There are ways to grow the lower jaw, and while doing that, we must ensure that both jaws are growing to their full potential to accommodate the airway. Once the bones are moved into their optimal positions, the muscles are relaxed, not putting counteractive strains on the bones and the person is breathing optimally through their nose, then the heart rate, respiration and the flow of cerebrospinal fluid in the body are in rhythm, the body reaches its stable and healthy state. In this healthy state, the retainer is not required. There is no relapse as there is no fight back.

...Once we guide the bones into the places where they belong, the patient can have a stable structural posture, balanced head on their neck and breathe freely. We make sure the palate is wide enough so the tongue can rest up against it, and then the person can breathe through their nose. As a result, their diaphragm starts to work properly and the gas exchanges in the body are better balanced.

Before treatment, the patient’s maxilla and cranial plates may be compressed, their jaw joints compressed or deranged. Sometimes this compression presses up against nerves in the cranium and restricts blood flow and lymphatic flow. We “unfold” the maxilla and the face literally unfolds. It can result in forward positioning of the lower jaw, widening of face and the change in the appearance of cranial bones. The person breathes better and become more relaxed in their attitude, because stress is reduced.

When the nerves are no longer assaulted from within, the hormonal stress signals in the body quieten down. Therefore, they are no longer sympathetic. When blood can now flow more freely to and from the head, the person’s health improves. Hence, they sleep better. We have treated many chronic fatigue cases. The conditions were resolved quickly. They were mainly neurological, but nutrition and sleep also played a part.

...Our focus is beyond straight teeth; it is on neurology, growth patterns, breathing and sleep patterns. When you take the pressure off both blood flow and neural pathways, put the bones into the positions that ensure nasal breathing and proper cranial balance on the neck, the person’s hormonal signals come into a balance and they can sleep properly."

https://www.wholisticdentistry.com.au/soma-info.html
    "There are two common problems found in standard fixed and removable dental appliances. The first problem is that standard appliances lock the maxillary sutures and teeth. If the cranial sutures are jammed, they inhibit the Cranial Respiratory Impulse (CRI). The CRI is the continuous pulsation in the cranium whose strength is essential for optimum health. The second problem many standard appliances encounter is the use of metal across the mid-line of the palate. This is another major source of stress which affects the CRI.

The SOMA is able to avoid both of these problems due to its unique design. The SOMA creates sufficient retention without jamming the cranial sutures, while the metal, circular design does not stress the wearer. The SOMA prevents strain on the CRI and relaxes the muscles of mastication. When the muscles of mastication are relaxed, muscle fight-back does not occur around the bones of the face and jaw. This enables teeth to be orthodontically moved faster without relapsing. While of course it takes time to bring about bony changes, one of the most interesting aspects of the SOMA is that as soon as the brain perceives the correct realigning pressure, there is an immediate reduction in stress, sympathetic nervous system overactivity, an enhancement and balancing of the cranial respiratory impulse, opening of the nasal passages and relief of many muscle tensions."

Overview of five similar methods:
    https://www.alignmine.com/lightwire-orthopedics.html#faqnoanchor

"In modern society, the minimum distance between the two molars is approximately 29-34 mm in modern developed countries such as the UK. People who come see me who've been brought up in less well developed countries, it's wider. All our ancestors had an intermolar width in the low 50s... It didn't matter what race, where you came from; they were all very consistent widths."

A guinea pig reports
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSLsXvyhnpN3Z-CBKW8OnDA/videos?view=0&sort=p&flow=grid

Search for "MSE" on that channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSLsXvyhnpN3Z-CBKW8OnDA/search?query=MSE

https://www.moonmse.com/distributors-1
    https://www.dentistry.ucla.edu/learning/ucla-orthodontics
    "Many patients requiring maxillary expansion often have narrow nasal airways, and positive changes in nasal airway with application of MSE are common. Clinical cases and research findings illustrating the profound enlargement of nasal airways and functional improvements after MSE in both adolescent and adult patients..."
    https://old.reddit.com/r/orthotropics/comments/dyy6cw/mse_providers/
    https://old.reddit.com/r/orthotropi...illary_skeletal_expander_mse_vs_neurocranial/
    https://old.reddit.com/r/orthotropics/comments/cpqo8f/marpe_have_anyone_tried_it/

https://the-great-work.org/community/forums/
    Screen shot 2020-05-25 at 7.41.50 PM.png

CuLu55xXEAAgPph.jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Serotonin is a protein made from an aromatic amino acid and it must be programmed by full-spectrum UV sunlight. When you are in full-spectrum artificial light you deplete your body and brain of serotonin. Serotonin is made in the eyes, skin, and gut in humans.
    The expression of serotonin (5-HT) in the retina was first reported in the 1960s. The detection of vesicular monoamine transporter and serotonin receptors in several retinal cells confirm that 5-HT is playing a neuromodulatory role in this structure. Whereas signaling pathways activated by 5-HT receptor binding have been poorly investigated so far, numerous data demonstrated that 5-HT is involved in retinal physiology, retinal physiopathology, and photoreceptor survival.
    The eye is a remarkable photosensor, can detect a single photon and transmit its signal to the brain. The receptors for light in the vertebrate eye are the visual, photoreceptor, cells of the retina. Each visual cell comprises two principal parts: the outer segment, which contains light-absorbing visual pigments, and the inner segment, which contains the nucleus, mitochondria and other subcellular organelles and which metabolically supports the functions of the outer segment. The segments are connected by the ciliary process or cilium. The inner segments of visual cells have terminals that synapse with horizontal cells and bipolar cells. The bipolar cells, in turn, form synapses with ganglion and amacrine cells. All of these cells have the enzymes that create serotonin which is tryptophan hydroxylase.
    It turns out serotonin is important for keeping melanopsin damage in the retina and arteries from occurring. I believe this is one of the key undiagnosed things going on in C-19 that few people realize that lead to clinical deterioration.
    What happens as a result? You become unable to handle acute stresses. This is why EHS, chronic fatigue, infertility, poor libido, and poor sleep all are related to melanopsin damage caused to serotonin photoreceptors. The absence of serotonin in the brain alters acute stress responsiveness by interfering with the genomic function of the glucocorticoid receptors. When these receptors are altered they no longer work as they should. When this process begins in the eye and ends in the brainstem humans get a condition called adrenal fatigue where it appears there is a global dysfunction of how their hormone receptors operate. This paper lays out the physiologic basis of this process that most allopathic doctors deny or are ignorant of the mechanisms due to a lack of knowledge about how light sculpts life. Become a member and learn more about this mechanism to stay well. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fncel.2020.00128/full