1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Huck - My Journey (BP and Aortic Stenosis)

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Huck, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Huck

Huck Silver

We're doing everything right, so best case we win and worse case we have a strong heart and are as healthy as possible if we have to have a new valve put in. The healthier we are, the less chance of complications and the longer the valve should last. I see it as win win.

Jude, JanSz, Anne V and 1 other person like this.
  2. Anne V

Anne V Gold

Huck you are grand,thank you for being you xox

3. Huck

Huck Silver

I've been exploring the idea that if LDL isn't the cause of atherosclerosis, maybe I should look at the triglyceride side of the equation, and I don't mean by looking at triglyceride value in a lab test. Chylomicrons and VLDL carry triglycerides to the cells and after they have given up most of their triglycerides, they become remnants.

Just as the liver removes LDL from circulation, it also removes chylomicron and vldl (idl) remnants. At least it is supposed to. But what happens if the liver is unable to remove all the remnants?

In going back to the weird blood pressure spikes I was having, my thought was that something in my blood wasn't being cleared as it should be and that some circadian process that starts in late afternoon caused blood pressure to spike and then around 1 am, another circadian process kicked off that actually cleared these particles.

I was pretty sure it was related to my genetic predisposition to have trouble digesting and metabolizing saturated fat. I was eating a high fat diet at the time the bp spikes started and eventually put these 2 things together. Add a leaky gut and my liver was really being taxed.

I changed to a low fat, mostly plant based diet and over time, the BP spikes lessened and eventually stopped.Also was able to lose weight, which I had not been able to do on a high fat diet.

Recently I watched a video on lipoprotein metabolism. There is so much more than what shows up in a cholesterol test. That's where I got the idea to look deeper into the fat side of the triglyceride/cholesterol equation. When I saw that chylomicrons were transporting triglycerides and the remnant was cleared by the liver, things fell into place. If my cells weren't metabolizing (genetic) all the fat from chylomicrons and vldl, what happened to them? Did they stay in circulation or was the liver removing them?

And most importantly, were they atherogenic? Is there a lab test to measure remnants? And guess what I found?

"CONCLUSIONS: Increased concentrations of both calculated and measured remnant cholesterol were associated with increased all-cause mortality in patients with ischemic heart disease, which was not the case for increased concentrations of measured LDL cholesterol. This suggests that increased concentrations of remnant cholesterol explain part of the residual risk of all-cause mortality in patients with ischemic heart disease.© 2016 American Association for Clinical Chemistry"​

http://clinchem.aaccjnls.org/content/clinchem/early/2016/02/17/clinchem.2015.253757.full.pdf

"It is now evident that elevated circulating levels of triglycerides in the non-fasting state, a marker for triglyceride (TG)-rich remnant particles, are associated with increased risk of premature cardiovascular disease (CVD)."
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27216847

"However, despite success in reducing LDL-C, significant residual cardiovascular risk remains.4 Emerging evidence suggests that triglycerides (TG) and /or the cholesterol content within triglyceride-rich lipoproteins (TGRL), (e.g., remnant cholesterol [RC]), may be important contributors to residual risk and should perhaps be targets of therapy.5"
    https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardi...nt-cholesterol-and-atherosclerotic-cv-disease

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Jude likes this.
  4. Jude

Jude Gold

Quote"I changed to a low fat, mostly plant based diet and over time, the BP spikes lessened and eventually stopped.Also was able to lose weight, which I had not been able to do on a high fat diet."

Good bio hacking there! Have noticed that early am fat suits me better than evening and not to much . Plant based diet? do tell.

5. Huck

Huck Silver

I should have said low saturated fat diet. Unsaturated fat does not seem to cause any problems.

My diet is plant based most days with occasional fish or seafood, plus fish oil every day.

I tried restricting saturated fat to breakfast, but I still had the BP spikes. As long as I keep saturated fat under 10 g/day, my BP and cholesterol is fine.

Jude likes this.
  6. Huck

Huck Silver

Looks like I will be having the aortic valve replaced in the next month or 2. It is funny in a way - no change in echo over the last year (3 echos), but now it is urgent where 3 months ago it wasn't. I have an idea what is going on, but I really just want to have the valve replaced and get on with it.

All indications are that plaque buildup has stopped, but it is still too early to tell if there is any reversal. The aortic valve opening has increased a little, but that can probably be attributed to the inexactness of the echo. They still want to do a stent and I keep asking why as I do not have angina.

JanSz likes this.