1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Huck - My Journey (BP and Aortic Stenosis)

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Huck, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Huck

Huck Silver

Urologist appointment. Doc was very antagonistic right from the start. I had taken a list of all the supplements I am taking, hoping he could tell me if any of them might be related to the problem. Instead, I got a lecture on taking supplements. He also told me he had become a vegan since I last saw him 4 years ago. He told me I should eat more "fruits" and vegetables, even though I was 55 lbs less in weight than when I last saw him.

He was upset I had gotten my doctor to perform a PCA3 test. He said he doubted she would know how to interpret it. I couldn't figure out what I had done to "piss" him off.

He recommended a urine volume test and I agreed to it. My bladder filled without a strong urge to go. Finally we agreed to just remove the catheter and see what happened. I was able to go, but very weak stream and only about 1/3 of the volume expelled. I was offered 3 options: 1) hope for the best and probably end up back in ER, 2) self catheterization, and 3) a more permanent catheter until the next appointment. He recommended and I agreed to self catheterization. He thought it was probably necessary for a short time.

Note: For any guys out there, self catheterization is not that bad. A little discomfort, but no bad pain. Just relax and go easy when you get to the prostate and bladder.

Finally I found out what set him off. Four years ago I saw him when my PSA was high. He prescribed an anti-biotic and retested a month later. His office called me to tell me PSA had come back down. I asked if I needed to do anything and they said no. Well, evidently I had been scheduled for a follow-up appointment I wasn't aware of. He thought I had just blown him off without cancelling the appointment. I explained I didn't know anything about the appointment and he seemed to lighten up a little.

He refused to discuss anything involving hormones and didn't understand why I was concerned about my high estradiol. Said saw palmetto didn't work. Also said benedryl doesn't aggravate prostate problems.

I think my plan is to see him again and try to get urinary problem resolved. I will do my own homework and see what I find I can do on my own. This is an intermittent problem, so I think there may be something that triggers it.

Note: I thought I would add a little detail in case any guys need this info in future. Here's how the self catheterization works. Whenever you have to pee, you go normally. Then you insert the catheter and empty any urine still in the bladder. The goal is to get to the point you can empty the bladder without having to use the catheter. Of course, if you have the urge and can't go, then you use the catheter.

Just found this excellent video on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYTjvqzyd9k

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

So this brings up a question about the girls out there. Numerous times in the Women's restroom (yes, I am female) I have heard women urinate, and after they are finished, they must push a bit, because I can hear them "go" a couple more times. Is everyone's bladder getting weak? Once gravity does its job, they have to push, because the bladder isn't contracting on its own?

3. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Have noticed the same thing btw...

I blame it on three preganacies. Specifically the middle one - I carried her very low.

4. Huck

Huck Silver

I'm going to try kegels and see if that helps. Search youtube for a video.

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Yes, I learned to do Kegels after my two pregnancies. They definitely helped at that time. However, they may have contributed to my low back issues.
    Doing Kegels do tighten the pelvic floor, but they can also lead to a "tucked" pelvis.

This article may be interesting to you. Katy says the gluteal and pelvic floor muscles have to be balanced, not one stronger than the other.
    http://www.alignedandwell.com/katysays/1234-we-like-our-pelvic-floor/

6. Huck

Huck Silver

Good news. Got PCA3 lab results and it was a score of 12.

[​IMG]

http://www.pca3.org/public/pca3/pca3-background-information

My doc agreed that benedryl might be aggravating prostate problem, even though urologist said no. I'm in a challenging spot. My doc really does try and, for the most part, has been supportive. The urologist is very uncooperative. What to do?

Just watched a Mercola interview about saw palmetto. Maybe the reason saw palmetto hasn't been much help to me is because of the kind I am taking. Going to splurge on the higher quality stuff and see if it makes a difference. I need to get off flomax asap and maybe saw palmetto is the way. More research!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  7. Huck

Huck Silver

The last week has been hell and I don't have a clue. I thought that Flomax had caused my fatigue, but it seems it wasn't the cause. Walking is still a struggle and everything seems difficult. Short tempered and little motivation. Was hungry as heck on Friday and Saturday - today was OK. BP and FBG are OK. Menu is the same.

Sleep had been good and suddenly became a problem. At first I chalked it up to the catheter, but I haven't used a catheter for a week and only a few times in the last 2 weeks, and still having sleep problems. Yesterday I got up about 7 am, went back to bed at 10 am and slept for 4 hours. Back to bed at 6 pm and slept for a couple more hours. Then slept about 7 hours last night. Even with all that sleep yesterday, I was tired and unmotivated all day today. Most nights I have been having trouble falling asleep and then every little noise wakes me up.

Before I had the urinary problem, I was losing weight at a steady pace, walking 6-8 miles/day, and feeling pretty good. Since then, I seem to be going backwards. BM changed for worse when the urinary problem started and haven't normalized. Stomach stays slightly upset. Taking probiotics and eating pickles to try to fix gut.

As a follow-up to previous post, I did stop Flomax and started a high quality saw palmetto about 2 weeks ago. I still had to use the catheter twice in the first few days, but haven't needed it in over a week. Usually get up 1 time a night to use bathroom. Hives went away when I stopped flomax and itching is not nearly as bad.

8. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Huck, sorry to hear about your recent troubles, but your PCA3 score is great! Nice to have some good news.

Sounds like you need some energy.

9. Huck

Huck Silver

Good news. Haven't had to use the catheter for about a month. This is the pattern I have followed for the last few years. Something (unknown) triggers the prostate to swell up causing urinary problems, then it shrinks back and urinary problem goes away. I haven't taken benedryl for a month, so maybe that has helped. I am also taking certified organic saw palmetto which I believe has helped. Plus not using the catheter has to have helped the prostate "relax". All in all, my prostate area is the best it has felt in several months.

About half the time I don't make any night-time bathroom trips and the other half I make 1. Will get some hormone labs run in a week or 2 to see if I can find any patterns. Sleep has improved a little, but is not as good as when I was taking benedryl. Energy is a little better. I had stopped 2 of the 3 adaptogens I was taking and restarted them a few days ago. Seems to be helping. Have slowly been increasing walking. Stomach is still not right.

10. Huck

Huck Silver

This post goes with a question I am posting in Ask Jack. Please make comments here rather than in Ask Jack.

The question of having prostate cancer is still open; although if I have it, it seems to be slow growing so I can put off biopsy until after Jan 2014. But Benign Prostate Hyperplasia (BPH) does seem to be a real problem, so I have been doing research on BPH. BPH is an enlarged prostate that often results in urinary problems.

The 1st things doctors try is drugs. I was prescribed flomax and broke out in hives, so I stopped it and replaced with saw palmetto. Flomax is an alpha blocker which works by relaxing bladder neck muscles and muscle fibers in the prostate itself and make it easier to urinate. Alpha blockers are also used to lower blood pressure and flomax was causing wild swings in my bp. I assumed that if I called my doc and told him that I had an allergic reaction to flomax, he would just have prescribed another alpha blocker.

I replaced flomax with saw palmetto, which is a 5 alpha reductase inhibitor (Finasteride, tamsulosin). 5 a-reductase inhibitors prevent the conversion of testosterone to dht.

So instead of relaxing the muscles, I am trying to shrink the prostate by reducing dht. I am also starting exercise to try to strengthen core muscles which provide support for bladder, prostate, etc.

But both of these address symptoms and not cause. What caused my enlarged prostate and how do I eliminate the cause? Does BPH lead to prostate cancer? That is open to debate, but it seems to me that curing bph just might reduce the chances of getting cancer.

So I stumbled on a fascinating hypothesis and study on a prostate cancer site. What if BPH was caused by varicoceles (varicose veins of the testicles)? And what if varicoceles resulted in testosterone being dumped into the prostate instead of into the blood stream? How would the prostate react to this high level of testosterone? According to the study's authors, it would cause BPH and possibly prostate cancer. And they have a procedure to block the testosterone from backflowing into the prostate and thus reducing bph symptoms. Only problem is the 2 doctors are in Israel and their clinic is the only one in the world offering this procedure.

This is the link to a pdf of the article followed by the abstract if you don't want to download the pdf. Here's an article from Sky News which is easy to understand.

I was diagnosed with varicoceles in my mid twenties and recently they have started causing discomfort. There are treatments available in US for varicoceles, but only a couple also address BPH. Here's an experimental treatment available in N VA which appears promising.

So what I am looking for is how I can use the information Jack has provided to fix the valves in my veins reversing the damage being caused by varicoceles. Walking is recommended for improving blood flow in leg varicose veins, so I would think it might also help varicose veins in the scrotum. So I am trying to walk at least 30 miles a week. I am doing CT and especially spot icing, which seems to help at least in the short term.

So any ideas on what else I can do?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  11. Huck

Huck Silver

I'm going to be sore tomorrow. Walked 10 miles today, which is the most I've walked since I was 14 and hiked 20 miles to earn my hiking merit badge.

Big push to get the last 15 lbs off before winter gets here.

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

Sounds like you are doing well Huck :)

13. JanSz

JanSz Gold

This video promotes use of 5aR inhibitors to lower DHT
    and
    alpha blockers to relax muscles

Alpha blockers aside, use of 5aR inhibitors seems ineffective or outright hurtful, but I am not a doctor.

Theory that excess estrogens and low progesterone are promoting growth of breast and/or prostate tissue is more convincing to me.

====================
    From the labs you posted
    your DHT is already at the bottom range, I would not expect much progress by further suppressing of DHT.

Your progesterone is minimal, that gives estrogens upper hand. This promotes growth of either prostate or PC or breasts.

With low DHT, you are also likely to have low 3β-Adiol

3β-Adiol protects (or even reverses) prostate cancer.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  14. Huck

Huck Silver

Doctor said I need to have a prostate biopsy and he can do it in his office. Hopefully I will find a better option.

There are 2 general types of prostate biopsies.
    • Blind - ultrasound to identify prostate
    • Guided - Either Color Doppler ultrasound or MRI assisted.
    When I asked my urologist if he did a guided biopsy, he said "yes, he used ultrasound". But basic ultrasound basically just locates the prostate and gives no indication of possible cancer. So I was more specific and asked if he used color doppler or MRI and he said they were too expensive for his office.

So the type of biopsy he does is where they take 12 samples from the prostate and hope they hit the cancer. An analogy I read goes something like this. Imagine a football field covered with white ping pong balls and 50 black ping pong balls. Now take a sling shot and shoot 12 times into the field. What's the likelihood you will hit a black ball?

With both color doppler and MRI, the prostate is imaged and possible cancer sites are identified. Then this information is input to the biopsy so that the areas most likely to be cancerous are sampled. This should result in fewer samples needed instead of the shotgun approach typically used.

From what I have researched so far, it seems that there are only a few doctors that are expert in reading color doppler images for prostate cancer. It is less expensive that MRI, but the doctors I see mentioned as experts are over a thousand miles away. I have identified at least 1 potential MRI site that does prostate biopsies that is within easy driving distance (about 4 hours).

Usually, blind biopsies are done for the 1st 1 or 2 biopsies and then, if the doctor thinks there is cancer that isn't being detected by the biopsy he sends the patient for the color doppler of MRI assisted biopsy. It makes sense to go that route 1st, if Medicare will pay for it. It's really a shame how much good health care services depend on someone else deciding if you can have it or not.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

do you need a biopsy or do you need to add more allopathic chemotherapy or XRT or energy to you semi conductors? I know where i fall, but where you fall is all that matters

16. Huck

Huck Silver

I'm open to suggestions. I'm eating ketogenic, drinking spring water, taking the supplements you recommended in prostate webinar, keeping my vitamin d high, reduced emf, and walk about 6 miles a day. I've also got a prescription for metformin but haven't started it yet. My stomach acted up when I had the urinary problem in August and is just now starting to feel right. Made bone broth today.

The biopsy won't be until January, so I'm hoping I can starve the cancer by then (if it's there). I had a lab done about a month go and blood glucose was 74.

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

none of that answers the real question..........what will you do.....between then an now........??? collect energy or get a biopsy?

18. JanSz

JanSz Gold

http://www.rsny.org/about.html

Mailing Address:-
    1384 Broadway at 38 th Street , New York 10018

phone 212 246 4237

overseas phone 001 212 246 4237
    email to: Gil.Lederman@RSNY.org

http://www.rsny.org/brochure_request.html

==================================================

Dr Gil Lederman have radio program, I have listened to him.
    He does radiosurgeries for variety of cancers.
    He obviously is a proponent of radio surgery for prostate cancer rather than manual or robotic conventional surgery.
    He compares these three types of surgeries

First he compares manual to robotic, 3 tests
    sexual side effects, incontinence, cancer return
    It appears that the first two, manual surgery gives better results, on third they both are same.
    I do not remember numbers, but when discussing sexual side effects he (in nice words) pointed out that those discussions are rather ridiculous.
    It is something like 2.6% patients retain their former erection ability for manual and 2.4% for robotic (ie; robotic is worse but twistedly promoted over manual)
    Much better, double digits when considering continency, again minimal differences.
    Cancer always return in 5+ years, likely because cancer cells are spread all over during (bloody) surgery.

He then contrasts that with radiosurgery where all three metrics are rather quite close to 100%.

---------
    There is a number of radio surgeries, I do not know all types, but it looks promising to me.

NYC mayor Rudy Giuliani had radiosurgery done on his prostate and appears active and smiling.

My friend in Poland had manual surgery done 5+ years ago.
    He is impotent (physically not in his mind), continent, was abused by surgery and latter by hormonal ablation, now his cancer returned.
    His normal doctors are done with him.
    He went to a clinic that does radiosurgery.
    His cancer returned and located on sacrum (lots of nerves).
    Because of that location his doctor figured out little lesser dose and protocol.
    After 4 radiation doses, one each week he looks and feel ok. It is third month, his PSA is winding down.

This type of surgery is relatively new at his location.
    It looks like there is a lots of good to be said about it.
    Two main, no post surgical trauma and healing, preserved sexual ability,and ability to do the treatments without life and job interruptions.

Prostate biopsies are rather brutal, after last one I was bleeding profusely, ended in hospital, was real close to needing transfusion. But I had few before without so much stress.

Instead of going for biopsy possibly place that does radio-surgeries could give you a PET scan, similar or same that they would use when doing radio-surgery.

According to my friends research, that scan is able to figure 3D picture of cancer, and latter they are able to concentrate radiation on that shape only.

------------------------------

All above is (I think) about gamma radiation of X-ray.
    This radiation is hardly stopped by human body and goes thru it.
    But because it comes from different direction all concentrating on tumor, the rest of body is irradiated less.

I am hearing about proton beam radiation being used.
    Supposedly that beam stops at cancer location an gives there all or most of its energy.
    Proton beam radiation looks even more promising.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

surgery is not answer just an escape clause

20. Inger

Inger Silver

This....

Huck... does it help you what this means when I tell you a friend of my family was diagnosed with spreading breast cancer... and her doc in Norway said she MUST operate and take cytostatica. She did not listened to him as she felt in her heart it was not what will make her healthy. Instead she changed her diet into fish and veggies mainly. Now she is perfectly healthy. No cancer anymore.

We need to think for our selves. My time in Norway, working in home care for sick people, it really hit me how many people have been destroyed by the treatments of our doctors today. It just hit me in my face.. it was painful

It can be so easy... if we go back to nature. Easy and beautiful :)