1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Huck - My Journey (BP and Aortic Stenosis)

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Huck, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Huck

Huck Silver

I need to keep a record of what I am going through and thought I might create my own blog. But then I thought, what better place to put it than here where it is a real life test and testament to what Jack has taught us.

At this point, I haven't been diagnosed with prostate cancer, so the ? in the title. But my PSA has increased, my doc found a hard spot on my prostate, and I am starting to feel discomfort in the prostate area. I have also been on an antibiotic for a month and PSA did not come down, ruling out UTI. My father had prostate cancer and my 23andME shows me to have a slightly increased chance of getting it. So I'm one step away from being diagnosed. (I wonder if I can kill it before they can find it?)

I had a free PSA test run and that indicates an approximate 17%- 23% chance the high PSA is caused by cancer. This is different from the standard PSA test and I ordered it myself from Direct Labs. I also had my doc do a PCA3 test, but the kit had expired and couldn't be processed by the lab. I have been waiting for over a month for the doc to get a new kit in and redo the test. I am holding off on seeing a urologist until I get the results of the PCA3 test.

I had a prostate biopsy about 12 years ago and it was not real painful, but not something you look forward to. The doc goes in through your butt with a long needle to get samples from the prostate. These are then sent off to a lab to be "graded". In the past and with quite a few urologists today, this is strictly hit or miss. They usually take 12 samples, so they might hit the cancer and they might not. My biopsy 12 years ago came back with no cancer detected, but that didn't mean I didn't have cancer, just that the 12 samples didn't contain any cancer.

So I probably need a biopsy. Now comes the insurance problem. I have been telling my doc for the last year that I sure hoped everything held off until this January when I am covered by Medicare. With a supplemental policy I can get everything done and not have to pay anything out of pocket. But right now, I have a $5000 deductible and super high monthly premiums. I've already called one of the best pathologists in the country and they will interpret the biopsy slides at medicare rate. But to get this rate, I have to go to a urologist who will do the biopsy as a self pay. In other words, if I run it through insurance, I will have to pay the entire bill (up to $5k) at the insurance rate which is higher than the Medicare rate.

The next thing I have to work on is finding doctors that do guided biopsies and get the costs. Guided biopsies are done with either ultrasound or MRI and feed the location of the suspected cancers into the biopsy so fewer samples are needed. At this point, I don't know if this is a 1 step or 2 step process. If the MRI or ultrasound doesn't find anything that appears to be cancer, then there is no reason for the biopsy.

So what am I doing that is relevant to this site?
    • I eat epi-paleo and have been for over 1 1/2 years
    • I take all the supplements Jack recommended in his Prostate Cancer seminar
    • About a month ago, I went ketogenic to try to starve the cancer of glucose.
    • Increased walking to minimum 30 miles/week (Prostate cancer needs a lot of exercise to be helpful)
    • Added more garlic and tomato sauce to meals
    • Going to ask doc to prescribe Metformin (I'll write more on Metformin later)
    • Just finished Anti-Cancer - A New Way of Life - Highly recommend for everyone with or without cancer
    • Read several books on prostate cancer and treatment options
    • Visited several prostate cancer web sites
    • Based on information provided by grizz, I have increased my iodine. Just went from 50 mg to 75 mg/day.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
    Mayuri likes this.
  2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Huck - I will be following your journal - tho don't know if I can be of any help. My thoughts and prayers are with you on this journey....

There are a lot of exceptional people here to offer assistance in one way or another .....

Is it okay to send you a hug?

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

lots of turmeric garlic, kimchee, and ginger.........lots.

4. Huck

Huck Silver

In Anti-Cancer, the author says turmeric in capsules is useless. That it has to be taken with black pepper to do any good. Is that true? I have been taking capsules for the last year and doubled the dose about 2 weeks ago..

ETA: I see that LEF recommends curcumin with piperine. I looked it up and found this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9619120

The brand of curcumin I have been taking doesn't contain piperine, so I will send them an email and find out why?

Just received this response from Now Foods. So it looks like the other curcumin they sell has been a total waste of my money.

The product I asked them about was Now Curcumin Softgels and they told me to buy Now Bio-Curcumin Phytosome.

From the LEF site (2001 article):

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2001/sep2001_cover_curcumin_03.htm

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  5. Huck

Huck Silver

Hugs are always good, but I'm doing fine. The self-pity lasted about 4 hours and then I became very motivated to get on with my life. Once I realized I would have to manage everything myself, that no doctor was going to do it for me, a calm came over me. So I have an immediate goal and a long term goal (which involves a lot of time at the beach and an RV).

6. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Yes, Dr. K told us long ago to use black pepper with turmeric. I would sprinkle both on my eggs. I wouldn't think the turmeric in capsules was useless, however. But perhaps the author is comparing it with fresh turmeric root? Turmeric is in the ginger family, btw.

Huck, have you seen what Grizz wrote about painting a combination of Lugols and oil or water directly on the skin? I would seriously consider that therapy, in addition to ingested iodine.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  7. Huck

Huck Silver

What to Do with a New Cancer Diagnosis?

http://www.jackkruse.com/what-to-do-with-new-cancer-diagnosis/

Starving Cancer: Ketogenic Diet a Key to Recovery
    http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscience/2012/December/Starving-Cancer-Ketogenic-Diet-a-Key-to-Recovery/

control cancer using metabolic therapy and a ketogenic diet.

Dr. Joseph Mercola interviews Dr. Thomas Seyfried on how to control cancer using metabolic therapy and a ketogenic diet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-_UY-WnH1k

Dr Seyfreid recommends a water fast as best approach and a low calorie (less than 500 calories/day), ketogenic diet as next best approach. I lasted 3 days on a water fast and got my fbg down to 73. Interestingly, this morning fbg was 71 after eating about 1000 calories yesterday. I think it might be important to add exercise into the equation. I walked 8 miles which burned about 800 calories. So subtracting the 800 from 1000, gives me 200 net calories yesterday.

I have been taking my fbg every morning for the last 30 days and will continue to do so as my n=1 study. So far, it has got me to give up having half and half in my coffee. Out of 27 days, I had 7 in the 70's, 14 in the 80's, and 6 in the 90's. Before going very low carb, low calorie, my fbg ranged from 90-105. Dr Seyfried recommends fbg between 50 and 75 and I have only had 2 readings below 75 so far. (note: see upcoming post on Metformin)

This video is also worth watching. Dr. Mercola and Dr. D'Agostino on Ketogenic Diet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LDc5TxOcvA

So the Part A of my attempt to starve cancer is a low calorie, ketogenic, high fat diet to get my fbg into the 50-75 range.
    Part B is exercise to lower glucose.
    Part C is Metformin IF my doc will write the prescription.

8. Huck

Huck Silver

Yes, and I plan on it. I upped my iodine from 25 mg/day to 50 mg/day and itched like heck. It took about 30 days before the itching diminished to the point it wasn't uncomfortable. So now I'm up to 75 mg. Once my body adjusts to that, I will start painting.

9. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Huck

Thanks for sharing your journey.. You've been working so hard for the past few years, I'm standing in your corner cheering for you.

have you re-listened to Jack's Prostrate Cancer webinar...

10. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold

Huck ... you have mentioned Metformin. Since you have your 23andme results, have you checked to see if Metformin is a good match for you?

In my case, my 23andme profile indicates that Metformin is not suggested at all. ... Thus, I suggest you check before going down that rabbit hole.

11. Huck

Huck Silver

Yes. And I'm sure I will listen to it at least a couple more times. What's so frustrating about the disease (to me) is you have to go to a urologist, who is a surgeon. They tend to see prostate cancer as a disease that needs to be cut out. So the majority of men who have been treated for prostate cancer have had their prostates removed surgically, which is the absolute last thing I intend on doing. Most prostate cancer boards are heavily populated with men who have had surgery. Digging out good hard facts on alternative treatments is challenging.

As strange as this sounds, this is happening at the time in my life I need a big challenge. Beating cancer is something I can do. After 2 years reading what Jack has given us, I am as ready as I'll ever be. I'm hoping I can leave a trail of breadcrumbs that some other guys can follow that might help them on their journey.

12. Huck

Huck Silver

Please tell me how I can tell from looking at my 23andME results. I don't have a clue.

Plus I am looking at metformin primarily for a purpose other than reducing blood glucose. That would just be a bonus.

13. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold

There are 2 methods to evaluate:

1. on your 23andme online results, click on 'Drug Response' and look for Metformin
    2. consult with a MTHFR consultant. MTHFRsupport.com has a list of consultants that Sterling Hill has vetted. If you want to do a phone consult, you might go to BlogTalkRadio and type in 'MTHFR' .... listen to a number of the talks and see which person(s) seem in sync with your thoughts.

Personally, I feel that anybody who wants full value from their 23andme results should consider at least a consult or two. At a bare minimum, get Sterling's app for $ 20 on MTHFRsupport.com. Her report has lots of links to research, and you can google any of your SNPs that are either yellow or red.

Mayuri likes this.
  14. Huck

Huck Silver

Thanks. It says I have a slightly lower response. But this is based on "Response to metformin is determined by monitoring blood sugar and glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c), and response is widely considered positive if HbA1c levels are below 7%." My hba1c is already well under 7% which is why I think I might have a problem getting my doc to write a script.

15. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Huck;

Sorry about your prostate.
    At this time I have following views on Prostate Cancer.

#1---If you follow conventional doctors advice your life will not be any longer but for sure less comfortable.
    This is my understanding after listening to dr Jack Kruse webinar on this topic.

#2---Since I listened to Jack's webinar, I came across new information.
    It started somewhere around 07-18-2012 with this post:
    http://www.allthingsmale.com/forum/...l-Glucuronide-(3α-diol-G)&p=182162#post182162

and following posts on that thread.

But the actionable information is here:
    http://www.allthingsmale.com/forum/...l-Glucuronide-(3α-diol-G)&p=206108#post206108

http://meridianvalleylab.com/1679-2
    The Anticancer Testosterone Metabolite 3β-Adiol

Published in: Townsend Letter

By. Dr. Jonathan v. Wright, MD
    =====================================================

Read it, digest it, lets discuss this.

My understanding is that you have to do two tests (urine and blood full panels) at
    Dr. Jonathan v. Wright, MD laboratory, which is Meridian Valley Laboratory

No other laboratory tests 3b-Adiol
    ==============

Those tests should tell you if you have to worry,
    and
    if you do
    what to do about it also given.

==============

As far as I can tell reading this, Prostate cancer is caused or at least its growth is propagated when there is deficiency of 3b-Adiol.

That deficiency of 3b-Adiol develops when

Estrogen receptor b
    and
    enzymes 3b-HSD and 17b-HSD
    are impaired.

If 3b-Adiol is low
    it can be increased by supplementation (short term)
    and
    the Estrogen receptor b and enzymes 3b-HSD and 17b-HSD
    can be rebuild using
    over the counter supplements and (sometimes) one prescription item.

So far the only prof that all this works is Italian experiment on mice.
    After one month all mice had their PC reduced by 50%

==================================
    I have looked at numerous research articles on Prostate cancer.
    What I though is interesting is what is missing in those discussions.
    They newer discuss anything below DHT.
    They do not consider down-metabolites of DHT.

It happens that 3a-Adiol and 3b-Adiol are down-metabolites of DHT.

One example here,

http://www.allthingsmale.com/forum/showthread.php?22915-Androgen-Receptor-(-AR)&p=209623#post209623

In Prostate Cancer, Focus on AR Signaling Sharpens
    Anita T. Shaffer
    Published Online: Tuesday, November 13, 2012
    http://www.onclive.com/_media/_upload_image/dht-synthesis.png

http://www.onclive.com/publications...-ar-signaling-sharpens/2#sthash.gvlN5ULZ.dpuf

[​IMG]

/////

16. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Huck;

If you decide to follow the path proposed by Dr. Jonathan Wright
    please lets us posted. PM me if you want.

I have a personal interest in PC.
    My good friend in Poland have PC and went already thru all that conventional medicine offers.
    Recently he had piece of bone radiated with cyber knife.

17. Huck

Huck Silver

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but here's my interpretation.

High estrogen is thought to cause prostate cancer, but once you have prostate cancer, they give you estrogen to fight it. But what you and Dr Wright are suggesting is that it is the suppression of the dht metabolites that is the problem. That one of the metabolites binds to the same "socket" as estrogen, so when we use supplements like saw palmetto and beta-sitosterol, we are actually increasing estrogen level.

Am I close to understanding?

I've stopped beta sitosterol and saw palmetto, stopped half and half in coffee, and started a half dose of arimidex. I plan on retesting estrodial in a week or 2.

18. caroline

caroline Moderator

I love your long term goal......what could be better than lots of beach time and a RV.....magic....
    And guys in speedos....I guess my goals are slightly different! :)

19. JanSz

JanSz Gold

beta sitosterol and saw palmetto=5aR inhibitors (that are able to screw esrogen receptor b and the enzymes.
    If you are sensitive enough
    that was a very good chance to get screwed

Yes, you are close to understanding.

I am not wordy to tie up laces on Dr Wright sandals,
    but I try to read what he posts.

20. Inger

Inger Silver

I think to quit all dairy is a great thing to do.

Are you tanning naked, to let the sun shine "right there"? You should.. real sun, laying in the grass/on the ground getting earthed at the same time. Sip on a wild greens smoothie at the same time, maybe :) (chlorophyll is great!)

I wonder if raw fish has the same anticancer properties for men with prostate cancer than it has for women with breast cancer? Could not hurt to try. If I were you I would eat much much raw seafood.

Huck.. I would no way let them hurt my prostrate with those needles/biopsies/radiation. No way can that be healthy. Ever. What does it help? Nothing. It can only make it worse IMHO. I would just do everything right and good what I know and then relax. It is going to heal. Our bodies have amazing healing ability if we only let it do.

My brothers wife told about her dad down in Yugoslavia, Europe (he lives there). He is a MD. He got prostate cancer, and cured it by fasting for 30 days on water, herbals teas and veggie juices (a little only). I bet it was because he had practically no carbs..? The cancer must have got no food and then it gave up..huh. He did it also because they are very poor and had no money for expensive treatments. And.. as an MD maybe he knew regular treatments does not work anyways.