1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How was your CT today?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by differentstory, Mar 28, 2012.

1. nicld

nicld Gold

Thanks, I think that we even have some wool sock I can try. Now I have to see if I have just some cotton socks or thin wool to wear with my slippers outside. the tootsies got pretty chilled this weekend, the ground is getting close to freezing.

2. Inger

Inger Silver

I do CT with socks too in the winter... have not started using them yet. I should! When I use socks and gloves and hat I can stay longer for sure. I just dip and swim for a minute or so these days. Water is between +1-+5 degree C now. I often warm my toes shortly in the shower, just the toes, right after. Because if my toes are cold for long they suffer and get not pretty. So take care of your toes :)

I have been thinking of making me some felted wool "socks" to walk outside with. I have this wool jacket that shrunk it the washing machine.. so weird :eek: so it is very tiny now but would do nicely as socks in the cold

3. nicld

nicld Gold

I will try it tonight and I too have to warm just the feet sometimes afterward. Otherwise they get just so cold that they hurt and that can't be good.

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I've been walking around outside, marveling at how my feet can be chilled, and my toes can be cold, but I don't feel the all-consuming cold sensation from them that I used to feel. I don't remember this from last Autumn, but then I realized that I didn't walk around outside much then. Yes, I was CTing, and Jack had posted a picture of his feet on grass, trying to make a point, but I remember that my feet were in no condition to walk outside barefoot for long. I was still recovering from about 15 years of plantar faciitis. Thank you, Jack, for teaching me how to provide the energy and raw materials to heal my feet. I am really enjoying being able to walk outside barefoot, shower barefoot, and pretty much stay barefoot for an entire day. :love:

5. nicld

nicld Gold

Wow, got my water really really cold, about 42F. Only stayed in for about 30 minutes due to the hormone boot camp and good thing. I ordered some 100% wool socks today since the DH could not find any in the store and I don't think that the ones we have are 100% wool.

6. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Man I just can't hang with that cold yet.. Today I did a swim for 15 in 55F water and was cold as hell afterwards. Usually I can stay in without moving for 20 min or so but I think the swimming brought a different element.... Mild cold temp I can hang pretty good.... morning walks in 40F mornings with shorts only.... sometimes gloves and a hat with the dog is easy for an hour or more..... I still get cold to the core when I do Deep CT. I do like short cold plunges though.... Those heat me up pretty good..... I do like the fact that I heat up at night when going to bed so the wife wants to cuddle me to warm up.... bonus. I have a ways to go to get where I see others are posting..... :)

7. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Did about 15 minutes in 12C/53F water in the tub today, while cradling another block of ice on my chest (knees and head sticking out, hands, feet, and rest of body submerged). I make 2 or 3 blocks of ice which are 3+L each in the freezer, and then just drop them in the tub, which drops the water temp by about 3C.

I personally find that I can stay in cold water indefinitely (or at least, up to a few hours), and like many here, find the 9-13C range the most comfortable / easiest. But once I get out, the shivering can get pretty intense. I've always been tempted to do things to warm up more quickly (exercise, hot shower, warm clothing), but have always resisted that. I do wonder though, if allowing yourself to naturally re-warm is crucial.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  8. Hemming

Hemming New Member

I also often have the feeling of being able to stay in the water for a long period but I dont want to push my luck as I swim in the ocean alone at 8-9C currently.

I think exercise (shivering is a form of exercise) is the natural way of rewarming whereas a hot shower or warm clothing is 'neolithic' way.

9. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

Swimming instead of just hanging out in the water really shortens your time. Our pond is about 39-41 degrees and when I go in (which has not been enough recently) I just kind of walk around slowly up to my neck or just float upright. I was swimming actively until a few weeks ago, but it felt a little scary, so now I'm less active and it's better.

10. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Jack mentioned in one of the blogs that swimming compared to just standing/lying in the water cools you 25% faster (if I remember correctly). That said, I find it easier to swim around for a shorter time than just standing in the water.

11. ^ That sounds about right, but on the other hand, I've noticed that if I start shivering when standing still, the shivering stops if I swim a little bit.

12. I don't think I've noticed any changes in vision, nonchalant.
    This was the first time I noticed what seemed to be a shift in my time perception. It might have been caused by the temperature being lower than before (8 °C / 46 °F) or that I happened to eat a bit of D-ribose half an hour before.

13. nicld

nicld Gold

I am trying not to rewarm with warm water but last night, I was still cold after the webinar and snuggling with the hubby just was NOT going to rewarm the feet, I had to use water. With the snuggling with the hubby, I just had his arm touching my back and it felt better then a heating pad (which I used to use, not anymore), very odd but awesome.

14. Hemming

Hemming New Member

I've noticed the time perception too as the water has become colder. I can also tell that when I do more dives and my head is cooler the effect is more pronounced. Actually all of the effects of CT are enhanced the cooler my head is - which doesn't surprise me.

15. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

So I' was killing time on a teleconfrence/webinar for work - and came across this tidbit. David Letterman will only work in a studio that is no warmer than 50 degrees. and everyone who visits his set always complains how cold it is.

looks like celebrities are cting too - they just don't know it.

16. nicld

nicld Gold

CT was the coldest to date. 43-45 F degree water temp with the skin at 45 F after 70 minutes. Had some shivering afterward but not too bad. I had some shape wear on during CT and put on a dry pair afterwards. The wool sock did NOT help the feet. They got so cold and were a bit hard to walk with. Normally I would reheat them right afterwards but usually on the weekend I like to try and do 2 sessions of CT and keep the water in the tub.

We will see how it goes with round 2 this afternoon.

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

I am pretty sure that Gretchen says she uses two pairs is sox sometimes......and seahorse said something similar....like felted slippers.

You are doing great!

18. freesia

freesia Old Member

I need dive socks at that temperature. My feet warm up quickly afterwards though and they radiate heat like the rest of me (a year ago they stayed stone cold).

You're doing SO well on the cold adaptation front. Determined woman!

:D

19. Josh

Josh Gold

20. Josh

Josh Gold

Of course it is a Russian source through a UK tabloid, still even at Coney Island, the Beluga tank was cold...Interesting that the Beluga's sensing system is disturbed by clothing, etc.. A clue that other forms of vibration face interference from what we cover our bodies with as well.