1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How was your CT today?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by differentstory, Mar 28, 2012.

1. nicld

nicld Gold

Putting a stock tank in it should work then. Stock tanks don't burst when they get froze, at least ours have not in the 16 years we have had them for our animals.

Let us know how that works.

2. nicld

nicld Gold

Rewarming was rough today

3. Nick

Nick Gold

Been hammering out lots of CT lately. Even though we are going back into Spring in Oz I have been doing CT 5-7 times week for the last three weeks. One stage I used party ice (speed issue that time) instead of my usual 28kg of block ice I make each night and the water seemed pretty cold. I measured it and it was between 4C or 39F with about 15cm of ice floating on the surface. I thought what the heck I would give it a go as I knew I had done some colder than usual CT's during winter when the base temperature tap water was much colder. It was pretty much the same experience as when it was 10c 50F except my toes became too painful to leave in after 10 mins but I left as much of the rest of my body as i could in the bath and lasted the usual 50 minutes without any real difference. My shoulders, head and knees stick out and everything else was the usual cherry pink colour.

One thing I have noticed with a lot of CT, bed early on the Magnetico and up at daybreak is that have been having some awesome dreams! Really pleasant, detailed, sprawling dreams that seem to go for ages. Not sure what that means but I have been dreaming heaps of very relaxing dreams that are easy to remember in detail the next day. Jack mentioned it in one of his webinars but I forget the significance.

Anyway will keep on CT'ing as right now it is an easy thing to fit into my family life thankfully.

4. bacon lover

bacon lover New Member

Since adding magnet sleep pad have had the same increased dreams long duration and I seem to be much more aware of them. Wonder what that's about?

5. Inger

Inger Silver

Nick you are hardcore! :D

I did my second bathtub CT, water was 14 degree C and I stayed in 25 minutes, that is when I started to freeze. Last time I did batthub CT I had 15,5 degree C and at 15 minutes I started to shiver. That was fast progress in just 2 baths! Cool. I am curious if it is only because I had a ton of coconutoil today and fats..lol IDK but the ice baths (ok... not really cold yet lol) feels so great. I kind of miss it already a few hours later. Weird.

It is getting colder in my tent too. There have been nights with +5 degree C. I do love it! I am not sure how I will manage to sleep in a room anymore huh.

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

Nick - you are doing great! Do you C/T in the evening? Dr. K. did say dreaming is very good ... making new neurons or is it regenerating old ones? What else have you noticed from more C/T? Did you C/T all winter? I have got to do better at C/T.
    I really crave it but I get so bored in the tub. I wish the ocean was colder!

7. nicld

nicld Gold

I am going to try and do CT 4 days a week now. 2X during the week for about 40 minutes and then on the weekends for as long as I can stay in. I just cannot do more at night since I cannot get in the tub till 7 (yes, my Neolithic life gets in the way) and right now, rewarming can be rather rough and causes issue with falling asleep. Trying to find the balance and right now, sleep is more important. I did take a warmer shower after my 40 minutes last night and it did help. My only issue is that I need to bundle up when going to bed to get warm enough to sleep but then 2 hours later I get too warm and wake up and can't get back to sleep.

We will see how it goes when it gets colder out. I am so hoping that I will be better able to handle the cold this winter. Plus, might to a round of HCG starting next week. If I do, I will definitely keep doing CT but it is still up in the air. I will see what the doc says on Monday.

Nick, I am with you on the toes. They just do not stay in the water. If the feet get cold, I am done and have to get them rewarmed ASAP.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  8. freesia

freesia Old Member

Caroline can you watch an episode of a TV show in the tub? A one hour episode minus the ads usually works out at 44 minutes or so. That's long enough for me in an icebath.

The weather is warming up here and I'm either going to have to icebathe less often, or order more ice...

Nick do you re-freeze icy bathwater or freeze from scratch each night?
    Last Summer I carefully re-froze my bathwater thinking that must be most efficient. Now I know warmer water freezes faster (and takes less energy?) I'm thinking I'll manage icemaking differently this Summer.

I can't believe another Winter is over. Mixed feelings!

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Freesia.... I can use my iPad in the tub but it is EMF city to be sure! I sometimes do and it does help to pass the time really quickly. I am not as hard core as you either! I also really worry about being in a tub sinse I am on my own. It is really low and narrow and hard to get out of. If you don't hear from me for a few days .......send help! And could you make it someone really handsome and lovely while you are at it! :)

What are you doing about water?

10. freesia

freesia Old Member

Hi...oh dear...yes I worried about expiring in the tub back when I used to induce a mild hypothermia in the name of adapting!
    Sounds like you need a handy man!! First to - when he's not around to assist you personally ;) - put some kind of strap above the bath to help you pull yourself up. Nothing too industrial looking or it might be a blow to the ego....but something strong nonetheless.
    Do you have wired internet? If so, an outlet near the bathroom would help cut down on (wireless) emf. Another way, maybe, is to see if you can preload an episode of something then turn the wireless off and just use your ipad as a player. It used to be easy to do this with sites like Dailymotion but I'm not sure about others.

Water - *phew*. I am trying to learn more about hydrogen bonding networks :eek: :confused: :eek: before I do anything radical. My water has been a long time under the ground and it feels hydrating. I also drink quite a bit of imported mineral water. This is the water I have been drinking while I made my gains so far so I will happily take a bit longer to figure out a solution on that front. I need things to sink in a bit. Also my husband is very interested in water (he's been wanting to learn more/experiment a bit for years) but he is extremely busy right now so I will wait until we can examine the water "issue" better together. Sorry not much definite there yet. Good things take time???

PS I tagged you on FB about something - might be of interest?

11. Nick

Nick Gold

Hi Inger, definitely not hard core, but CT seems to agree with me. I know that compared to some of the experiences you have had and how you move forward I am still a beginner. Glad to hear that you are doing well, a tent in the cold sounds great!

Thanks again for the salmon tartar recipe on youtube, it is a cracker (Aussie for awesome)!!!

12. Hemming

Hemming New Member

I swim for my CT so I can't keep my feet out of the water. But at home where my apartment is around 18C at the moment I simply need to wear socks or I can't concentrate on anything.

13. Nick

Nick Gold

I use fresh crap tap water each time. Basically I have 28kg (61lb's) of of ice I throw in my bath in 1 litre (approx 1/5gallon) containers. After the containers have been floating around the water for a few minutes I harvest the plastic lids and containers. I then fill them up with tap water again and back in the freezer while the bath water drops to 10c (50F)in around 10-15 minutes. I can turn over ice every 24 hours this way which is terrific. I have a 3yo and 6yo that also use the bath during the day so I am happy to use fresh crap water.

I then throw in 2 cups of Eposom salts and slide in. The first few seconds until my chest is as submerged as it can be is a bit of a 'suck in the air' moment but the instant I am in the water properly I completely relax and move onto reading. At this point life is good, even to the end where I start to get a few small shivers. There is always ice left at the end of the bath, in summer I need to use more ice to keep the temp down. Interestingly when I first started CT, before I starting using the Magnetico and lots of F free water, I used to get much colder and start to shiver a lot at the 30-40min mark and be shivering violently at the 60min mark.

I start work early and finish at 3pm, spend 3.5 hours with the family then it is bath and bed time. I find that right now in my life this works easily and simply, a great balance between work, family and health for fitting in CT.

14. Nick

Nick Gold

CT has been amazing for me. Sleep, muscle, loosing fat, energy and sleep. I was stupid though and slowed down over winter when I should have gone hard. I think I was distracted by the benefits of the Magnetico but I have found out that for me, together, they are a magic combo. I plan keep on doing both as often as I can into the future.

15. Nick

Nick Gold

You know it is weird, when I first started CT I had to swap my feet every ten minutes, in and out, as they started aching. After a while I could leave them in the whole time. Then I hit the 4C bath and my toes hurt! I left them out for the rest of that bath.

16. freesia

freesia Old Member

Hi Nick, your ice production line is similar to mine in terms of amount and the size of the "bergs"!
    We have untreated (regularly tested) artesian water as our town supply so it's not nasty, but the stuff I have delivered to supplement what I can make at home is made from someone else's less optimal town supply! I should probably get a bigger chest freezer.. I'm not giving up CT anytime soon either. :D

Good to be at the able to relax and read stage! I don't mind admitting I had a difficult first few months with CT but in the scheme of things that hardly registers now.
    Lucky you having a magnetico! I've been reading about night-time unidirectional magnet therapy (approx. 25 gauss field from under the bed) that was promoted a bit in the 1980's and 1990's. It looked promising but achieved mixed results on it's own. It probably didn't have a chance of reaching it's potential without other measures in place...even less of a chance today of course.
    Magnets are next on my list. Bigger freezer under consideration...
    :)

17. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Nick, I think that once you finally get adapted to 10c/50F, you already have the mechanism in place that turns off the pain receptors. So after that you can quickly go colder and colder, and it all seems to feel even easier than 10c/50F to most of your body (possibly because the pain is shut off better). My feet are finally getting used to the colder temps, (I can keep them in longer and I don't get any freezing on the calouses) but my hands are still pretty shocked at the cold. :) Guess I need to start keeping them in longer so they will adapt.

18. sjoshua

sjoshua New Member

This is very smrt. I may make this into a fall project... time to start watching craigslist for another deep freeze!

I'd probably want to improve the design slightly past the timer though. By adding a water temp sensor to the system, you could have the freezer regulated to a specific, adjustable range (think, a similar sensor to a hot water heater, which activate the heating element when the temp drops below a certain threshold, this would be that system just in reverse.. activate the cooling system at an upwards temp threshold). This would alleviate having to adjust for seasonal differences in ambient temps. That may be overkill for most people, especially if you live somewhere that has a basement. Something like this would probably be preferential for me though, since this would likely live in my garage.

Also, water conservation could be improved by using farm grade H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide, ~30%) every couple of days, so that the water could be recycled for a longer period of time while mitigating bacteria growth. I'm sure the cooler temps will help this too... as well as only getting into the "cold bath" after already having showered to avoid bringing excess bacteria in. My initial "dosage" starting point for H2O2 would be 1ml/L of water. It would likely need to be done every 2-3 days, maybe more/less depending on frequency of baths taken. I bet this could extend the water life out to a few weeks. Again, this may just be a concern for those of us living area where water is more sparce.

19. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

So far I have been pretty lucky.... We have an extra bathroom that has an extra bathtub.... I keep that full of water with blocks of ice. I have buckets in my remote freezer (where I store my seafood, beef, liver, butter, bacon etc. that I get on sale) and I just throw in blocks when ever the temperature creeps up. I keep it around 45-55 F. I also add some Epson salt and magnesium chloride..... This way I always have a cold tub to jump into...... when the water looks a little murky I just drain and refill....

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

Nick - can you get epsom salts at a reasonable price? I pay over $5.00 for a small bag and the instructions are to use the whole bag for one bath! yikes!