1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How was your CT today?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by differentstory, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Dan in Utah

Dan in Utah New Member

Here's another reason you might have been dizzy with your head under: http://youtu.be/H4iQkFUgG6k[/video]][video=youtube_share;H4iQkFUgG6k]http://youtu.be/H4iQkFUgG6k[/video]

We need to establish a list of things to "NOT" do when attempting to cold adapt.

2. Hubby and I have had to just do spot icing the last couple of days because of a pretty busy schedule. We have been using our pool for a little over a week now, but the temp in MI has taken a nose-dive. We're currently debating via IM whether we should try to use the pool today. Water temp is right at about 50, but the air temp is only supposed to get up to 43 today. Pool is so much nicer than the tub because we can get completely submerged! But, OY it sounds a little crazy to be in a pool when it's so cold out!

3. Dextery

Dextery New Member

I have been easily able to do an hour of CT sitting in the bathtub at 55F water temp for a month now.

After reading Dr K said it is easier for him to CT in a tub rather than a shower..I decided to try a cold shower. Shower water temp was 67F. At first it was difficult to withstand but I started with my head bent over and then I slowly allowed some water down my back and then some more then I was able to turn around and allow the cold water to run over my entire body and it became easy...so much so that I really enjoyed the invigorating, stimulating cold water. 15 min was fine. Upon getting out, nice pink skin and a wonderful skin warmth upon drying off. But when I touched my chest and back with my hands the skin felt cold to the touch. But I was not aware of the skin being cold. Weird but amazing.

4. Dextery

Dextery New Member

One step at a time down the steps into the pool with a minute inbetween steps and you will be fine.

Is Wim Hoff Crazy? There is the suspended animation. He completely submerges at the 2:07 mark and emerges out of being fully submerged at video end at 5 min. Three minutes without breathing air.

[video][video=youtube_share;8ML0HIS0LqQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ML0HIS0LqQ[/video][/video]

5. Cody

Cody New Member

Dex, I now use the method of starting with my feet getting cold water first, then legs, then torso. This makes the whole process much more bearable. I find that by the time I get to my head, the cold feels good, because my head has warmed up so much.

6. agatha

agatha New Member

Today I swam for 20 minutes in the sea (50ish) and then got dressed on top of my wet swimsuit and walked the dogs in damp clothes in a nippy wind. Don't tell my mum - she was fanatical about getting out of a wet swimsuit IMMEDIATELY OR YOU'LL DIE OF PNEUMONIA.

btw I thought Jack told us not to immerse the head but I don't know why not - did I get that wrong?

7. Cody

Cody New Member

Cold water and inner ear issues can cause dizziness. But cold adapted mammals submerge themselves all the time, so long term, I doubt it is harmful. Short term though, better to advance in stages and make steady progress than to overdo it and possibly hurt yourself...

8. agatha

agatha New Member

Eow!!! the thought of ice cold water in my ears...

9. Yup, you're right. Last we were in the pool at 54 degrees for 55 minutes, so the 50 degree water will be a fun test. We'll see how long we last! Whatever it is, I'm sure our 7 year old will do better than we do :)

10. BJK77

BJK77 New Member

Is anyone else finding that certain body parts cold adapt before others? I have no issue at all with my stomach being submerged fully. It goes numb almost right away and doesn't bother me in the least. My legs, on the other hand, are proving to be much more wimpy! I keep my toes out, so I fill my tub nearly to the top so I can just have my toes sticking out and if I tighten my leg muscles 98% of my legs get covered in water.

I find that I subconsciously relax my muscles throughout the bath and then will have to straighten up again so my legs are fully submerged. Every single time I do that it's like I'm re-entering the bath again as far as a cold shock to the system. That's usually what triggers the shivering in me too. Wish I could figure out how to adapt my legs to equal my stomach . . .

11. primat

primat Silver

I'll look it up again. There were no (noticable) nystagmus or any discomfort really - except for the dizzy/vertigo-feeling which passed in a few minutes.

12. primat

primat Silver

Edit; so I guess I'll do something else to get that dizzy feeling tomorrow :)

13. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

finally made it a whole 30 minutes in the tub. So my CT was good. About 25 of that was torso in, knees exposed. There is no way to fit in a tub any other way for me. The legs have become easy so It's time to hammer the torso. If I were going for spot fat removal it would be love handles (damn those things are persistent!) so I may start icing those while submerging my legs/torso alternating. I had to add gelpaks to the water to keep it cool today, it crept from 52f starting to 55f when I got out. The outside air temp has risen ~7f here in San Francisco since I started the baths and now it is working against me. I *really* hope the water never exceeds 55f and I have to start trucking ice around. That will be too much stress on an already annoying pastime ;) plus my 'SO' won't concede the freezer space for my mad pursuits. I already had to remove the 35f face dunking bucket from the fridge to make room for food, what the hell!?? :)

14. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

I wanted to add that I might slow the adaptation a bit, even though the 30 minutes went well. I feel a little rushed and it's creating psychological aversion to getting in the tub (which is never as miserable as my mind makes it out to be) which is now leading to me psyching myself to get out of bed and turn the tub on immediately to discourage any thoughts of backing out.

15. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

Yes, the areas that haven't been exposed as much complain more. The legs have become easy. I'm still in the early stages. The forearms are the second worst because I rarely dunk them in cold water. My worst area is the sternum, by far.

16. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

3 minutes after hyperventilating (super oxygenating his blood) for 2 minutes, in a trained individual, not surprising to me. Since he has done over 90 minutes in pure ice with his breathing holes exposed it is clear that he came up for air and not for any need to come out of the water otherwise.

my 2c,

jesse

17. We did it... 25 minutes in a 49 degree pool (the coldest submerged temp my husband and I have done). We could have done longer but both of our babies were crying! The air temp was only about 40. brrrrrr... still trying to warm up 2 hours later. That's probably because I am refusing to turn the furnace back on and it's only 60 in the house. It's going to get really cold tonight I'll bet!

18. Hmmmm I started doing this because of Dive Reflex, and because someone else on here said they noticed the day following full submersion their hunger was effected moreso than usual. Of course, I did almost pass out when squatting down/standing up earlier. . . so perhaps his warning was for the mechanical issues like "don't be an idiot and make yourself dizzy than stand by cliff edge".

19. Rhoswen

Rhoswen New Member

Ahh! I haven't had enough time for doing full submerges this past week... But I've been doing ice on my tummy, my big problem area, and it really seems like it's shrinking down. I usually ice for 30 minutes, but I'm pretty sure I went more like 40 or 45 today. No problems! I'm just worried the next time I get into the tub it's gonna be hard, but hopefully the ice is keeping me fairly adapted. :)

20. tigerlily

tigerlily New Member

Is taking the bitter melon to reduce blood glucose,?