1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How was your CT today?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by differentstory, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Inger

Inger Silver

Shijin, wow! I need to do more CT too but the river is 37 degrees F lately and I can only stay in / swim around 2 minutes and my toes and fingers hurt! I dip at least once a day but it is way too little.. I want more! I need to put on socks and gloves for sure. Maybe a hat too..lol. They build a house on the other side of the river now, and the workers can see me cause there are no leaves on the trees anymore.. They will stare for sure seeing a lady in the river with gloves and hat on.. HA

2. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

I wussed out today. First time ever. I was already cold and the air was cold and I just bailed. Damn that's annoying. I'll make up for it and swim in the Noreaster that's coming tomorrow.

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

so far I haven't gotten in to the tub this evening... shooting for after the kids go to bed... even if its only for 10mins,

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

BTDT. I've found if I'm cold ahead of time, I wimp out. But I can turn up the heat for just a few minutes, and my attitude changes.

5. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

I swim at the lake with temps around or below freezing now. The water temp is a little warmer than that but only a few degrees.

I truly love this exercise! People are so shocked and think I'm either crazy and/or brave.

It really does become addicting. I find it's no fun to do it at home in a tub (I don't have a tub any more anyway since moving). I prefer to do it outdoors somewhere like the lake. Now, I am probably not needing it as much as some others who are still very broken, so it might be different for me now. Last February I did all the tub stuff etc. with SPECIFIC therapy in mind. Now in November (well just simply haven't stopped going to the lake since September), I find it is a different criteria. It feels like it's more of a sport or something, for enhancement and/or maintenance. It's something I want to continue for the rest of my life.

For me the protocols on here started out as purely prescriptive, but now I feel they are 'part of my life and part of who I am'.

6. diane

diane Gold

Gladina -I'm assuming you're swimming in Lake Ontario. Where do you swim? I don't see anyone swimming in there on warm days, other than the dogs at Cherry Beach. LOL. And have been thinking that it wouldn't be such a crazy idea to take them there and get in with them. :)

7. Inger

Inger Silver

Hello from another river addict..lol

Gladina, how are you managing the swimming? How long do you stay in? Here is close to freezing points too (water is around 37 degrees F) but my hands start to hurt fast.. I can stay/swim only a few minutes.. Are you using gloves and socks?

8. FarmersDaughter

FarmersDaughter New Member

Icing today. Ice packing my waist and "love handles" pretty consistently for the last 90 minutes.

Can't bring myself to tub today. Back to it tomorrow.

9. nate.reik@yahoo.com

nate.reik@yahoo.com New Member

2nd CT session yesterday. First one was Monday. 61 degrees in the tub for 1/2 hr yesterday. 63 degrees Monday.

Did CT a few times early in the year....time to get more serious.

Tap water is 57. Should be able to ride the falling water temps down I hope. Kinda thinking of a goal of "easily" doing the Polar Plunge here in Milwaukee. (Jumping into Lake Michigan's 33-34 degree water on January 1st)

10. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Back in the tub. Water is 42.5 degrees. Out side temp is 53 degrees w/19% humidity (yea!) and a few point of 11 I've been in for almost 10 min and I am numb. Haven't gotten in to where the girls are covered though. I need to get some full coverage compression gear

11. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

Got back in the pond yesterday. 40 deg. I can stay in but I can barely swim. Swimming becomes really hard below 40.

12. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Just got out of the tub. Cold as ****. Here is my data:

oral temp before: 98.1

beg water temp: 54.5

beg skin temp: 88

28 min in, oral temp was 98.7

duration: 35 min

ending oral temp: 99.2

water temp at end: 55

skin temp: 58

oral temp 5 min post: 98.8

Something new and different, possibly because of the slightly colder water: my feet and lower legs went numb about 8-10 min into my soak. Not NUMB like, couldn't feel them, but...numb. Hard to describe. It was sort of like everything got really tight, but not like muscle-cramp tight. Like wearing compression hose kind of tight, if that makes sense. It was odd. It went away a little bit when I started moving my legs around in the water. Also, my lower legs felt really tired when I first got out of the tub, wobbly, like I'd just climbed a steep hill.

I found it interesting that while the water is technically only 2 degrees colder than the last time I did CT, it felt so! much! colder! when I first got in. Not stabby-cold, but just "OMFG THIS SUUUUUCKS" cold for a few minutes, then I was ok. There was a lot of F-word yelling this morning, since no one was home...lol The poor dog sat there in the bathroom doorway looking at me like "bitch, you crazy." and I was somewhat inclined to agree.

13. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Damn heat wave bumped the temp in the stock tank to 53 deg! It's still chilly but this means a longer soak for the same results I get at 43 deg!!! And yes I could go get ice but its not supposed to almost 80 in NoVa in November!!

14. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

I am finally back to CT and hubby is too. Let just say that it made things work better today.

15. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Stock tank 43 deg. Ambient air temp 43 deg. Working on sitting down now

16. freesia

freesia Old Member

Your data is beautiful! Heh your body is doing it!!

:D

PS. 2 degrees down in one hit - that's going to bite.

17. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

20 min in the 43 deg water & 43 deg ambient air. What's crazy is its easier for me to warm up from these temps vs temps that are warmer. What's up with that???

18. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

What do you do afterwards? Let your skin air dry?

19. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Take off my compression gear wrong them out dry off, throw on clothes and run down the street to pick up Chaos & Havoc from day care before 6!! If the buss is on time I get dropped at the bottom of the street btwn 5-515 pm. I can be in the tub by 525 at the latest & sit for 20-25 min and still pick the kids up on time

20. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

So much for the leisurely dry time, reading a book!