1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How was your CT today?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by differentstory, Mar 28, 2012.

1. differentstory

differentstory New Member

This is interesting to me as I find I do not shiver AT ALL. I wonder if it has something to do with our weight??? I think you are 118? I am 196 and don't come anywhere near shivering (except when I get out - but that was because I was covering up so no more of that nonsense).

Do the people that shiver tend to be lower in weight?

I've got LAYERS and LAYERS protecting me! HA!

2. differentstory

Welcome! And congrats on the victories!!

3. That can't be it! I'm bigger than you DS, and I have been a shivering out the wazoo. Taking hours to warm up inside. I did 2 weeks face, a week of spot icing, then tried baths. So far I'm up to 20 mins in the cold bath and it's shiver central (water about 50 deg). I keep waiting for the "pilot light" sensation.

4. differentstory

I noticed one other thing last night that was a success for me (yay me!). . . I noticed it the night before too but didn't pay much attention to it.

After getting in the bath and get adjusted to the cold (takes about 1-3 minutes), I have twice gone through this period of WARMTH. Last night, it lasted 10 minutes!!! I have always gone through periods of "neutral" where I am not really cold but not really warm either. But last night I actually felt WARM in the water. It was the craziest feeling and made me giggle. :)

Can't wait to do it tonight.

Now that I know I can warm up, I think I'm going to push myself more in the bath. Hell, I could handle 7 hours before! Now I'm down to 1.5 (1 hour in the bath and 30 minutes to warm up vs. 1 hour in the bath and 6 hours to warm up).

EDIT: Ah, per Cavemam's post, this must be the "pilot light" sensation. Man, it is NICE!

5. Clabbergirl

Clabbergirl New Member

I've wondered this also, as I'm bigger than you and have not had the shivers before or after a long soak. I have gotten close, almost felt like there was shivering going on just under the surface of the skin, but no racking shivers going on over here. I've attributed it to there being so much insulation, lol. Maybe it's a skin sensitivity issue?

6. This is my 3rd week of CT and I feel like my shivering is WORSE than ever. I had to get out the tub today after 40 min, usually I am in for 60. It has been taking me hours to warm up from my evening bath, I go to bed just freezing (but also quite giddy, I giggle about how nutty I am, and what I am voluntarily putting my body through LOL) middle of the night I am boiling hot.

This entire week I have just felt cold. Not warm at all. brrrrrr! I weigh 153#, should be about 142.

7. differentstory

Oh ok. Well there goes that theory. :)

Cavemam, try not covering up tonight and see what happens? Congrats on your graduating to baths! :) Although you do it during th day don't you? I can see you know walking around naked answering your client calls. :) HA!

8. differentstory

For those of you shivering, have you played around with your diets?? Eating fat/protein before vs. not?? Just curious.

I do it at night, so I have always eaten first (I usually CT 1-2 hours after eating dinner).

9. differentstory

Hi, Clabbergirl. How ya feelin' today?

Edit: Just saw your post in the other thread! Glad to see you are doing better!!

10. omlh@todmi.com

omlh@todmi.com New Member

Today was my coldest and longest bath yet, and the lowest I've managed to get my skin temperature (55.9F) - my skin went scarlet, and whilst I didn't actually feel cold whilst in the bath, it hit afterwards with a vengeance - still shivering an hour and a half later. Like differentstory, though, I do find that I warm up more quickly when I don't try to wrap up straight away - but with all three children home from school for the holidays, that's a luxury I don't have at the moment ;) So now I'm about to go and do some gardening in the sunshine for a bit of a workout and some heat ...

11. Evo Mama

Evo Mama New Member

Just wanted to add my details ...

Cold-Adapted? No, but I'm on my way. It's 50 and windy here in PA today. I was outside with just a t-shirt, while lots of others were bundled up. I felt the cold, but didn't "feel cold," if that makes sense (I didn't feel warm either, though, so I'd say I'm still adapting)

CT Baths or Icing or Both? Cold showers first thing in the morning, face dunks after breakfast, baths before bed (every other night - enjoying the increased libido on my "off" nights).

Duration? Showers are 15 minutes, face dunks 10 minutes, baths are 30-45 minutes

Temperature? 49-53 Degrees (showers start warmer and slowly get to coldest setting)

How long have you been doing CT? Just over 3 weeks, now

I'm definitely seeing progress in my response to cold stimulus, so that's good. I've seen tons of benefits, so I won't be stopping anytime soon. My current plan is to continue the reset through April (started it on 3/6, along with CT), then do post-reset with CT for May, hold the CT through the summer, and start up again in early Fall.

12. differentstory

Ha! Feel the same way. It feels unnatural to walk around the house naked.

Question for you. . .does your skin turn pink underwater? Mine is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS white. After I get out it will turn pink. Also, I notice that if I am sitting in the bath and it is filling up with water, my arms go through this "turn pink/flushing" phase. That is the only pink I see though.

13. Mott

Mott New Member

I've got CT down for now....First step...Fill 5 gallon plastic bucket with ice...Second get ice pack for back of neck....Turn off lights in bathroom...I then start the tub on lukewarm water and jump in. The tap water in Buffalo is 40 degrees...As the tub fills, my body adapts and the final half is all cold. I turn on my ipod. Then I dump half the 5 gallon bucket of ice in. That sends a message to my CNS right away...I wait three more songs and dump the final ice in and get submerged....By then my CNS has adapted and I am tolerating water that is very cold...I can only last 30 mins....I also keep an ice pack on my torso...17 days in...down 8 lbs...No side effects other than deep sleep and increase sex drive.

14. differentstory

Holy moly!! I want to try this. . .stepping down colder and colder. That's a good idea. I have questions though.

What is the temp of the lukewarm water?

Can you only last 30 minutes total? Or 30 minutes after the coldest temp?

With each round of cold added, how are you feeling? Is it a shock and then you adjust?

If so, how long does it take you to adjust to each level of cold?

15. David

David Silver

Several decades (or more!) ago I was shown by my scuba instructor that wearing wool, even without a wetsuit, was critical to keep from freezing when attempting to dive under ice-covered water. IIRC the wool traps a layer of water that is warmed by body heat. I never put this to an independent test.:rolleyes:

16. Shinegirl

Shinegirl New Member

I feel like i belong here because im CT obsessed. I found something nifty that im willing to share with you all. Its working for me as we speak. Its a deep square ice chest called the "ice block". Only have to fill it 1/3 the way with ice water and my body displaces the rest. Then with ice packs all around me im sAving money AND space. Plus, water may stay cool for use the next day. I live in Texas. Whadya think?

17. I wonder if smart wool works the same way. May have to try that!

18. I have been careful about doing it on a fat/protein meal, but I've not been so diligent about drinking ice water and taking bitter melon two hrs prior. I think I need to force myself to do both of those things, see how it goes.

19. omlh@todmi.com

omlh@todmi.com New Member

My skin tends to stay white in the bath right until near the end, when I find I can't stand the cold any longer - then it starts to flush, if I'm going to shiver in the water that's when I start. But the colour really gets going when I get out. Today my collarbone (which was submerged!) and the back of my neck and top of my shoulders were an even deeper red, and really hot to the touch - not that I felt that I was warm anywhere at that stage ...

20. agatha

agatha New Member

Thanks for sharing this Merri - it is wonderful to hear of your 'small victories' and it helps greatly for the rest of us to hear the range of response and that some people progress more slowly. Keep up the good work and report back on your progress!