1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How was your CT today?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by differentstory, Mar 28, 2012.

1. freesia

freesia Old Member

I got my bathwater down to 55 before getting in today.

Stayed there for 25 minutes, added a bit more ice around the 15 minute mark and the water was up to 58 by the time I got out. I had a temperature rise again so I'm pleased about that. :)

2. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

All the native water here has warmed close to 60. I have been doing full immersion in >50 for almost two months. Today i set up a cast iron claw foot tub I've had for twenty years out by the stream in the backyard. I filled it up with 51 deg water from my deep well. I let the water run while I'm in it and it stays at 51. Perfect. This is where I will be every morning until the pond gets cold in the fall. The tub faces the rising sun, overlooks a babbling brook and is surrounded by bird filled trees. Oh yeah, it gets better everyday.

Saichi likes this.
  3. Jim

Jim New Member

Yeah surface area is key. I am thinking about going with reusable ice cubes. Like these http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10004856&N=&Ntt=ice+cubes

Today I bought 30 pounds of ice and got it down to 42 deg F. So that was sweet!!

4. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

With 8 bug bites on my feet and ankles I decided to do some foot CT. Have done face dunks at 40 deg no sweat, but full body so far has been no lower than 64. Got a foot bath to 43 and plopped my feet in. Weird!!!! Shock of course... Then in felt...Goood!!! Then my bones started to ache kinda. But not in a bad way? I could do it for a few min at a time til the sensations were getting too freaky and if take a break.

Feet were cold for hours but just to the touch- my skin - they 'felt' warm and comfy to me but if you touched them they were Icy. Hard to describe but I know y'all will get what I mean.

Now to get the rest of me that cold! I'll rely on the pacific ocean tho as only my legs and butt fit in my tiny tub!!!

FYI- leptin rx since 2/21/12..... And down 36 lbs since then (including my vaca last week where I ate right but indulged in quite a bit of malbec - and still lost 6 lbs that week!! But no more wine til I lose the next 70 lbs!!!). Hooray for leptin rx and CT!!

And thanks to all who post here to inspire me to get in the tub. Stay frosty my friends!

5. primat

primat Silver

I could never do cold showers, but today I decided to test how low I could go after my regular lukewarm one. Had absolutely no problems with 8c water which is as low as it goes here :) Great! Only had time for 5 min but nice to know I can handle it now.

6. LinD

LinD New Member

Same here, Jim. I live in North Texas.

Sprint Samsung Epic

7. LinD

LinD New Member

Before cold baths, there was no way I could tolerate a cold shower, but I can now and love it! Always end my shower on cold as I rotate to front, back, sides, head, face, and all over again. So refreshing.

Keep at it.

Sprint Samsung Epic

8. LinD

LinD New Member

Sounds wonderful! Lucky you. Enjoy.

Sprint Samsung Epic

9. Birdy

Birdy New Member

This week I have upped my time in the CT tub to 45 minutes. The temp varies, depending on the time of day. Lately the nights have been cold, so the am water is in the 60's. I can't fully immerse in my current tub, but will be able to get to the beach in a few days. As things warm up, cold showers are becoming only a memory. The water is cold in the morning, but very warm in the afternoons. Despite the warmth, my CT spot is getting better and better every day. I have drained the saucer that harbored the mosquitoes, trimmed some branches hanging over the water too much, and try to CT before the sun warms things up too much and the bees visit nearby flowering bushes. The next time I empty the tub, I am planning to take a ladder to the tree and trim out lots of dead wood. I have a "CT basket" so I can take my books, radio, etc. with me.

10. Jane

Jane Silver

I did my first CT bath last night. I got in our big claw-foot tub and then turned on the water and let it fill up slowly. It was only 62 F and only up to my waist, but much more comfortable than the cold showers at 64 F! I didn't shiver until I rolled over on my stomach and immersed my upper body and arms, but I managed to stay in for an hour. I've also been icing my belly laying by the pool on the lounge. The only problem was that I did it too late in the p.m. 9 and I was wide awake until 1:30 a.m. Next time I'm adding ice.

11. AKMan

AKMan New Member

Did a 30 minute, 35 degree soak today. First in a month. Had NO problems getting in or adjusting. Felt ggggggreat!

Since I had to go into town right away and didn't want to drive with the shivers, I followed the dip with a hot shower. Felt wonderful and no shivering.

I'm pondering the effects of the hot shower on CT. In a normal session for me at that temp, I would start to shiver about 10 minutes after I got out and it would last an hour or more and several digits would go 'white and numb'. With the hot shower, it completely negated the effects of the after-drop and I was normal immediately. Since all the pathways were activated (cold sensors, vaso-constriction, UCP-1, BAT, NST, etc...) You'd think it would be an overall win. I'm thinking the only thing warming up quickly 'cost' me was a few hundred or less calories I would have used shivering. Hmmmm

12. AKMan

AKMan New Member

PS. You guys GOTTA TRY water in the 30's...

13. quelsen

quelsen New Member

initial water temp 33 final water temp 38

total submersion time 60 min

average skin temp 42

core temp on exit 93.8 ( not what i intended)

i am still shivering , ok it has only been 45 minutes

14. youthfuliz

youthfuliz New Member

WOW :cool:

15. youthfuliz

youthfuliz New Member

40 minutes cold bath started at 58F down to 56F. Was pretty nice and easy. Maybe I should turn down the water temperature a bit tomorrow. :eek:

16. Birdy

Birdy New Member

50 minutes in cold tap water, and I tried to get my trunk submerged more than usual. This is the coldest session so far, and it took me several hours to warm up.

17. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

60 minutes in bathtub. Filled with tap water, added 20 lbs of ice and waited 30 minutes before getting in. Held remaining half bag of ice on my abdomen for 40 minutes during soak. Water temp 57 degrees when entering water. No shivering but plenty of goosebumps!

iPad helps pass the time...and my Siamese cat kept me company today. I swear, he was almost curious enough climb on the bag of ice.

18. LinD

LinD New Member

Awesome! My kitty likes to cuddle with me at night when I have an ice pack held under my neck/upper chest area. Guess they they are no dummy.

Sprint Samsung Epic

19. freesia

freesia Old Member

Hi Jane, nice to see you over here. :)

I've found baths much less intense than showers too. So far the only drawback to my baths is that I don't get the shoulders/upper back area nearly as cold as I do in a shower. I'm thinking of alternating baths and showers....or getting a deeper bath perhaps?

I've done two more baths @ 57. After the second one recovery was difficult again (shivering after 5 hours), so I "resorted" to a warm bath to get comfortable because I had to go out in the evening. Next week I'm going to try timing my baths so that I can take a good brisk walk on the beach with my dog after...and see if that helps with the warm up. I know the dog won't be complaining either way... :)

20. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

sat in 57F water today. 30 min. it felt easy for the first time. I think its time to lower the temp!