1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How was your CT today?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by differentstory, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I had this happen when skiing in t-shirts and tank tops... every time I got out of the lift or stopped for whatever reason, I'd get a wave of heat over my body. I thought it was cool!

2. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Thanks for the ideas about stopping all the supplements/etc. I think my problem right now is inadequate/unbalanced estrogen but am not sure. After battling raging hot flashes for so long, I'm really reluctant to stop the estrogen. I want to get re-tested soon so I think I will just forge ahead so we can a true assessment of what is happening now and then can adjust based on results. If I start switching things up now, I fear it will muddy the waters too much. I'm just hoping CT won't throw the results.

Recovery from TBI is not going to be linear. You'll go forward and then backwards and forwards again but not in a predictable way. Coupled with your pre-TBI history, it may be tough to sort out what is causing the symptoms. Do you have confidence in this new doc you're seeing? Seems like you could use helpful guidance (not the idiot, pardon me for saying so) you saw first.

3. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Lol, I didn't want to say it... she's actually a nice person, just has no idea. We talked about dogs for 30 min when I came in for a follow up (insurance... didn't want to and she knew). She totally made up the "complete physical" notes in my chart that day :D

I'm seeing a holistic and paleo doc now, that's a good start. And he will actually listen. If I want something (labs) looks into getting it covered for me. I like that I don't have to be a PIA to get what I need.

Hope you get things figured out soon... it was the fillers that were messing with me with my supplements. Dr K commented on another post that you can stop CT for about a week and then test to get a better result.

4. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

That's what I plan to do - stop CT and then test. But I find I am at least psychologically addicted to CT. I have been doing it almost 9 weeks now and don't want to interrupt progress. But if Dr. K says do it, I will give it a whirl. He was so right last week when I asked about getting a cortisone shot for my thumb arthritis. He said look to my diet. I thought I had a great, clean diet, and then remembered that the day before the pain flared I had a piece of "healthy vegan" cake to celebrate a friend's birthday. I've been wheat-free for quite a while so I attribute my pain to the gluten. Why is it we have to do stupid things before we learn not to do it anymore? As the saying goes, experience is what you get after you need it. Duh.

5. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I'd spot ice that thumb. Or rub some menthol on it.

I had to make the cortisone shot or not decision once and decided against it. A somewhat enlightened doc later told me that it can really mess with your hormones (mine were already messed up).

I'm addicted, too :eek: Dr K should have warned us about this one :D

6. MartiD

MartiD New Member

Ok, I'll ask here and see if I get a real answer. Our local pool opens Memorial Day weekend and should be nice and cold for first 3 weeks or so (I'm very excited!) I am planning on swimming alot of laps this summer but wonder if it is OK to swim laps in the cold water or should I just enjoy the water and allow my skin to get cold? In other words is it OK to warm up in the water by exercising? FTR..yes, I have been Ct'ing since Mid-February so pretty well adapted...no shivering at 55 anymore.

7. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Crud, I hadn't heard about the hormone disruption. That's the last thing I need. I had a shot in February in the other thumb (pain made worse by a fracture). I have some ice saved up in the freezer; if I'm not CTing, at least I can make an ice bath for my thumbs.

8. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Well, given how often Dr. K cites Michael Phelps' swimming in a cold pool, I don't see why it would be a problem. You might find that getting your head in the water takes some getting used to, though.

9. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

You lose more heat when exercising in cold water so you need to be cold adapted to do this. I think you'd be fine. Just get out if you get too cold or start to feel faint etc.

10. Birdy

Birdy New Member

You might want to start by just sitting in the stairway until you are more acclimated to the cold. But, I agree with Dr. K on this, start CT now. As I have read about it, the point of CT-ing is to lower your skin temp. Dunking your head or moving around alot can lead to reduced core temps, which you don't want.

11. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Great success yesterday! My temp was 98 before the ice bath. That's a miracle in itself because I am hypothyroid and my body temp runs low, usually in the 96.5 range. Ok, after the bath my temp was 99.1 ! And 30 minutes later my temp was still 98.9. Uncoupling proteins anyone?

Looking forward to radiating heat like the sun!!

12. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Woohoo!!! Congrats!!

13. omlh@todmi.com

omlh@todmi.com New Member

30 minutes at 55F today. Had that weird non-shivering shivery feeling, so I'm hoping that's a good sign, and my warm-up time afterwards hasn't been too bad, either. Oddly, though, my cold shower this morning was awful - it felt so much colder than usual for some strange reason.

Will have to start taking my temperature before, during and after the baths.

14. MartiD

MartiD New Member

I've been CT'ing since Mid-February once if not twice a day so I feel like I am as close to adapted as I can be with this much time in. I was more worried about injury to muscles when they are cold since we always hear you should have your muscles warmed up and stretched to avoid pulls and tears.

15. Warmed up and stretched is not consistent with the demands of nature. Those who need to act right now (fight or flight) don't have time to warm up and stretch. If you were to be naturally prone to pulls and tears in a flight or fight situation, you would be at best an endangered species, or extinct via some predators food chain. Of course, those that are not naturally active or healthy may be more prone because of a non-natural muscle/tendon/bone composition. YMMV. Actually, I think Jack is implying that if we don't get healthy like nature intended, we may very well go extinct.

16. shilohman

shilohman New Member

If your muscles are ketogenic, then they are ready to function in an instance. If your muscles burn carbs for fuel, then you need to warm up to get the blood flowing with the right amount of oxygen, otherwise you can injure your muscles.

17. jayjha1@gmail.com

jayjha1@gmail.com New Member

mine was hell last night

I bought the deep bath plug - so I filled the tub up more, dissolved about 12lbs of ice and held a 20 lb ice pack on my chest

yikes - started shaking towards the end of All Along The Watchtower (the first song in my 51 minute CT playlist - normally I'm into song 4 for this to happen)

held strong - need to keep my feet out though - even with the wool sox there are my Achilles heel

18. agatha

agatha New Member

I'm feeling frustrated. I have backed off on CT for a few weeks due to leaky gut symptoms plus chest infection. I started again last night - a paltry 5 minutes at a very warm 78 degrees. My temperature shot up to 38.3 and I was feverish all night. What's going on?

19. MartiD

MartiD New Member

It's funny you mention this because for two weeks I have been going out 2-3 times a week for 2-3 mile walks with some sprints along the way. I was really worried about an old knee injury showing up again or having really sore muscles the next day and neither has occured yet! Swimming should be a lot less tramatic on leg muscles!

20. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

GREAT point. I don't see a lot of cheetahs tearing their ACLs. It breaks my heart that literally every friend I have who is a runner or other kind of athlete after age 22 has all kinds of torn everythings.