1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How was your CT today?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by differentstory, Mar 28, 2012.

1. agatha

agatha New Member

Yes, that's it - cold inside and nothing on the outside helps. The only thing that works is to be very active and use the muscles to warm you up - this is why I think I might bring baths forward to mid evening instead of bedtime.

2. differentstory

differentstory New Member

OMG, Randy. I am off to show my husband your story. This is fate. I keep telling him that he needs to CT but he doesn't think it will "do anything" for him. I think he will be more convinced by you than me.

3. Good luck with that!

4. differentstory

differentstory New Member

He says he's going to try it this weekend. You definitely peaked his curiosity. :)

5. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Yes, they are wool and do get soaked immediately. Wool is known to help keep you warm when wet, unlike cotton which will make you feel colder (hence the advice to avoid wearing cotton when you are doing sweat-inducing activity outdoors in the cold). Whether it actually holds warmth on my feet when I'm in the tub I can't say. It could all be a placebo effect, but I feel better when wearing them so I stay in longer.

6. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

I want to hear more about this, but I know that anything that reduces body fat increases testosterone because body fat converts free testosterone to estrogen. So, for now I'm leaning more on the sensitizing aspect. There are so many things that Dr. Kruse has shared from his n=1 experiment, however he is not sharing a combined set of results from other folks that could help us extract what the key variables are. For now I'm assuming that his rapid body fat loss increased his T and CT may enhance sensitivity to T. I believe that anything that lowers body fat increases GH, for example, fasting, lifting weights, sprinting, so there is that connection again, GH has many benefits but is also a fat mobilizer. In this regard CT seems awesome... getting a GH spurt with *zero* wear and tear to show for it. Of course, some wear and tear is good to stimulate repair and growth too :)

I'm not trying to lose any weight but I keep losing it with CT.... I'm ravenous most of the time although today I think I've turned a corner and am experiencing the easy calorie restriction side of CT. I'm hoping I'm not wasting away and I'm keeping up my weight lifting and other exercises to maintain muscle mass, but with this amount of calorie wasting I'm concerned about that aspect.

I do want to add that this post may come across as negative nellie to what Dr. K is telling us about increasing T. But really, increasing T sensitivity and GH response is a huge win for me so I'm happy either way. If he ever shares the data on how he knows the CT actually increases T then that's just another bonus to me.

jesse

7. Evo Mama

Evo Mama New Member

If you are concerned about weightloss, I'd consider upping you fat intake. I remember Dr. K writing about the Sherpas eating pure butter and lard to maintain weight as they climb Everest.

8. Just saying: You can 't be too rich, too thin, have too much computer memory or processing speed, or too much muscular definition! :eek:)

9. BJK77

BJK77 New Member

Thanks for sharing your N=1's. So interesting to hear about others' experiences with CT. I thought about doing a few experiments of my own, but right now I'm just trying to focus on reversing my hypothyroidism and balancing my hormones. I'm hoping to get testing done every 6 weeks or so to see how things are changing.

10. BJK77

BJK77 New Member

Ditto this. I'd like more guidance from Dr. K too on whether time or temp is more important.

11. Unfortunately, i am not rich nor thin, do have a nice computer, and forever working on the muscular definition! :eek:)

12. BJK77

BJK77 New Member

Just read something on Dr. K's FB page where he said "the longer the better......that is how our neurologic system is wired.......for the environment." Wonder if my measly 20-30 minutes is doing anything for me :(

13. Of course it does, but the Doc keeps talking about steepening the gradient. So right now we are just picking the low hanging fruit. There is most assuredly more to come. Why would you do CT for several hours a day and for several years without a significant payback?

14. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I thought it had to do with the fact that CT raises DHEA which converts to T, could be wrong on that though.

15. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I was doing 30 minutes and he told me to up it. My goal is 1 hr. Yikes, that's a long time in 50 degree water.;)

16. The challenge is not the cold--the body adapts. It's how to occupy yourself--how to address the boredom. My experience, ymmv.

17. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Oh, sorry about that. My challenge is the cold and after 4.5 weeks one would think I would start to cold adapt but no. Anyway, I read in the tub. I have dropped a few magazines as well along with my books. I will never take a library book in with me.;) You could always listen to podcasts, lift a few weights, knit.... Sorry, got carried away.

18. jumcc

jumcc New Member

i agree, i tried reading but i find as i get colder i cant concentrate on the words!!

19. jumcc

jumcc New Member

haha i have also dropped a couple of books in, and my phone!!

20. So, my question would be do you think 4.5 weeks is really long enough to be truly adapted to CTing? I have 44 days under my belt and feel like I have barely started to adapt. We are all impatient. Do CT for months or years and you'll not feel the cold at all. The body (and mind) adapts--or you quit--or you die. Even the Doc says we need to master our thoughts first. The fact that you can sit in a cold tub for 30 min after 4.5 weeks is just scratching the surface of what real adaptation could be. But you are adapting! It is just the start. My first week, I couldn't stay in the shower even 10 minutes and i wasn't even near the coldest water setting. Now 30 minutes is easy and 45 minutes is hardly a challenge--at the 6 week point. We are the soldiers (the first wave) that need to gut it out and really adapt as an examplar of what the majority might eventually enjoy. My two cents, wishing us all best of luck! :eek:)