1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How was your CT today?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by differentstory, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Missed CT for first time yesterday (big mistake for my mental health), today my back felt warm for most the 45 minute shower which is new for me but my front side still prickly icy hot. Good 15 minutes in the middle my breathing was completely relaxed and comfortable. Ate a few fresh dayboat flounder roe with local sorrel afterwards for a late breakfast. My appetite's so low compared to my pre-CT life. Been eating a dozen oysters almost every other day though, wild Peconics and Wellfleets. Can't find my favorite Bosoles anymore bit chuffed about that. Thought the Cape Cods were quite unpalatable.

Found out Jones Beach is 52 degrees right now so contemplating the 2 hr trek for ocean CT tomorrow.

2. Elguava

Elguava New Member

Quantum Radical - I saw your post concerning chiller … I just bought the same model. Question- once your water reaches the desired temperature do you leave the chiller and pump on during the duration of your soak?

3. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

@Elguava , I'm not sure if your question went unanswered because there is no @ sign in front of the profile name of the person you are trying to summon, or because the answer is fairly obvious. :D

Greetings! Haven’t seen you around here before but see you’re a seasoned member. Hope to hear more of your experience.

4. drezy

drezy Gold

FWIW my stuff gets turned off 20+' from where my cold tub is while we are immersed.

5. Elguava

Elguava New Member

6. drezy

drezy Gold

That pump should cut it.

Depending on your environment sediment may or may not be an issue. In my yard tub it's not so much dust but eventually the water just gets less clear and slightly slimy feeling before washout time.

7. LieselK

LieselK Titanium Member

8. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Ocean's fucked right now, green algae foam four inches thick covering entire shoreline, millions dead jellyfish, tide that wants to kill/pull me out like never before. Doing my first bathtub CT ever tonight!

9. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Buying 60lbs of ice every day is gonna get old real quick, gotta find a water chiller and extra tub now smh.

10. Sun Disciple

Sun Disciple AKA Paul...That Call Drop'n Canadian

this is also an option buy a chest freezer and convert it to cold tub. https://www.facebook.com/groups/229000887769209/

11. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Thanks but never had FB so can't see their forum.

12. MattD1995

MattD1995 Gold

Can anyone tell me why CT would be making my tinnitus much worse? It was this way last winter. I started up again in the last 3 days, and the tinnitus is back with a vengeance. I’m worried I’m overstimulating my sympathetic nervous system.

13. drezy

drezy Gold

Are you drinking your 32 oz of ice water along with CT?

You're also a big bubba I wonder if a smidge more ice water might be alright to try.

14. MattD1995

MattD1995 Gold

I haven’t been...are you thinking it could be from dehydration? I was always under the impression that the purpose of the ice water was to help burn fat, and I’m quite thin. I could actually stand to gain 10-15 pounds.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019 at 6:03 PM
    MITpowered26 likes this.
  15. malc0088

malc0088 4th dimension

what light are you doing CT under? outdoors? red/ir/uva? how about after a BAB or big meal?

16. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

I’ll chime in. I “THINK” another purpose of ct is it does something to your cold shock proteins where the end result is mitochondrial turnover/editing/optimization.

17. Nrelax11

Nrelax11 New Member

I'm also thin and wanting to do CT. I actually lost a lot of weight doing epi paleo, but didn't need to lose weight. I think maybe I'm not eating enough. I read somewhere on here that you should only CT for the length of the percentage of body fat you have. So if I have 20% body fat, I CT for 20 minutes. Can anyone verify this?

18. LieselK

LieselK Titanium Member

I have not read that anywhere, but when I started Epi-Paleo and did CT protocol I lost a lot of weight for me. After 1.5 yrs figuring out what is good and best for me I have gained summer weight (up 8-10 lbs from my lowest) and it feels good. I am not doing CT protocol persay, but I do dips in our cool pool all day every day for anti-inflammatory purposes.

19. MattD1995

MattD1995 Gold

Yes, I eat a BAB prior to CT. I do the CT in my garage in my freezer. I can’t do it in the sunlight in Texas, or else the water heats up past 55 degrees in minutes and I end up spending $30/day on ice. However, as soon as I finish CT I go sit in my backyard and soak up the sun.

20. MattD1995

MattD1995 Gold

As with all things, I think there’s a natural progression with CT that should probably vary based on an individual’s level of redox. My redox is absolutely shot. I’d be willing to bet that gradual cooling might be better for me as I continue to consume DHA daily and add sunlight.

For now, I’m going to stop using the freezer for full submersion every day and focus on:

1) Extended soaks in my pool in the sunlight. My pool is 87 degrees. Jack has said that anything below body temperature can have a positive, cooling effect.

2) I’ll also be reverting back to step 1 and 2 of the CT protocol (face dunks and ice blocks on my bare skin). I’ve found ice blocks on my skin for 45 minutes to be much more tolerable in the past than even 20 minutes of full submersion in my freezer.

I tend to be an impatient guy. But with redox, I’m coming to realize that slow and steady is what will win the race. Continued daily DHA, water, and sunlight will hopefully allow me to be taking full submersion ice baths by winter.

I also am going to add back in a small amount of carbs temporarily while I continue to DHA load going into winter. My redox is just to trashed right now to operate on Keto.

MITpowered26 likes this.